It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
K9MOM!!! block and replace thyrodians!!

Hi l was hoping you could offer me some advice please. Ive been given thyroxine 125mcg to take with my morning ptu 2 x 50mgs. (l will also be taking my ptu 2 x 50mgs at night too)Block and replace. Im a bit 'funny about having side effects' about taking meds to start off with! Does this look ok to you? Have you done block and replace? I would be really grateful for any advice and to hear off others who have/doing block and replace. Have a lovely day love niecsey xxxps plan on starting block and replace in the morning.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: K9MOM!!! block and replace thyrodians!!

Good morning!! It is 5:10 A.M. here. I am sorry that I am not k9mom but she will get back with you soon I am sure.

This may sound silly but I am so glad to see you are on block and replace. I think it will keep you from going too hypo.

I wish my doc would have let me do that. Don't think he knows much about thyroid though. I hope it will help you feel better.

Hugs to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Block and replace is a very valid treatment option. I've seen several people do well with it. There is generally 2 ways to go when a person starts going hypo on ATD's. One is to reduce the ATD dose until you find the dose that keeps your thyroid levels normal and stable. The other option is block and replace. With block and replace you stay on a relatively high dose of ATD and add in thyroxine to keep from going hypo.

My question to you would be....what are your current thyroid levels? (FT4 and FT3) Is it necessary to add thyroxine at this time? Do your lab tests reflect the need to add thyroxine?

Old 09-08-2004, 04:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lady (((((hugs))))) xxx lm sure worried about starting more meds!! can you tell? LOL........ nice to see you up bright and early! lol Hope your doing ok hun. Is block n replace an option for you now? Or like you say is your doc 'hopeless'? My endo says lm STILL very much hyper! My blood pressure went sky high and l had the tremors l tried to explain l get nervous about anything medical and thats what my blood pressure was probally from but he didnt seem to want to know...... l know what lm like around white coats! lol He asked me soon as l walked in the room 'how long have your eyes been like that?' They were red raw and thats when he said l want to give you the thyroxine now so block n replace it is l am abit wary you know me..... if its rare............ l get it lm not finding too much searching about it so it would be great to hear off others who are/have done it. Oh K9 just noticed youve replied l dont know the labs at all but he seemed to think now was the time with the eyes playing up hes not altered my ptu dose have you done block n replace? i had more blood done yesterday he says ' they dont know why my blood test results are coming back FREAKY' (MAYBE IM A FREAK? LOL) there trying to look for a reason why its happening why there getting unknown results hence more blood yesterday and asked for my phone number again incase he needs to speak to me urgently eek! I dont think he wanted to give me the results yesterday as l really really have got him confused and his staff (its not my fault ) l really think ive got him worried l am trusting him because he is so highly regarded the 1st chance l get of getting copies of all my labs lm going to grab them lm too nice to ask hate to think im putting any one out. Thanks for replying lm sorry l have yet to get any of my results.Yesterday l couldnt think straight after seeing him l just wanted to get home and wallow spoilt all my day l actually thought l was doing dood now!!!! I see him again oct 5th. xx

Old 09-08-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey
Hi Lady (((((hugs))))) xxx lm sure worried about starting more meds!! can you tell? LOL........ nice to see you up bright and early! lol Hope your doing ok hun. Is block n replace an option for you now? Or like you say is your doc 'hopeless'? My endo says lm STILL very much hyper! My blood pressure went sky high and l had the tremors l tried to explain l get nervous about anything medical and thats what my blood pressure was probally from but he didnt seem to want to know...... l know what lm like around white coats! lol He asked me soon as l walked in the room 'how long have your eyes been like that?' They were red raw and thats when he said l want to give you the thyroxine now so block n replace it is l am abit wary you know me..... if its rare............ l get it lm not finding too much searching about it so it would be great to hear off others who are/have done it. Oh K9 just noticed youve replied l dont know the labs at all but he seemed to think now was the time with the eyes playing up hes not altered my ptu dose have you done block n replace? i had more blood done yesterday he says ' they dont know why my blood test results are coming back FREAKY' (MAYBE IM A FREAK? LOL) there trying to look for a reason why its happening why there getting unknown results hence more blood yesterday and asked for my phone number again incase he needs to speak to me urgently eek! I dont think he wanted to give me the results yesterday as l really really have got him confused and his staff (its not my fault ) l really think ive got him worried l am trusting him because he is so highly regarded the 1st chance l get of getting copies of all my labs lm going to grab them lm too nice to ask hate to think im putting any one out. Thanks for replying lm sorry l have yet to get any of my results.Yesterday l couldnt think straight after seeing him l just wanted to get home and wallow spoilt all my day l actually thought l was doing dood now!!!! I see him again oct 5th. xx
You sound like me about not wanting to take medicine. I also get the himmie gibbies when I go to the docs office. My bloodpressure goes up when I see those white coats. They call it white coat hypertension I believe. Also we get upset when we are not well and everything just stresses us so much. You feel like" oh I am gonna freak out"!

I have never done the block and replacement. My doc never mentioned anything about it to me. He wouldn't even give me any t4 replacement for my hypo symptoms. He said that when I quit taking the PTU, my levels will go toward normal. They just took my blood yesterday to check my tsh and freet4. I will find out today what my results are. SURE HOPE I DON'T GO BACK TO BEING HYPER. That means I would have to go back on the PTU.

I think I have the flu. I know I have a sinus infection. Got some antibiotics to cover that. I just feel sick at my stomach.

It is that time of year when that junk goes around.

I sure hope you get to feeling better. You have had some rough times here lately.

Hang in there
Betty

Old 09-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lady xx fortunatley (typo= thyroid brain rot l dont 'stress out' like l used to years ago when l was dxn with anxiety l did a hell of alot of relaxation exercises and am able to 99.9% of the time to 'control' the bodys urge to stress clever girl lol Dont get me wrong l know what you mean by 'omg lm going to freak here' cos the feelings are real and l get them too but i think my past experiences with the anxiety have helped me cope now. Ive never been one for going to the docs etc and l dont go unless lm feeling at deaths door. Oh ive had 'sinus' for years didnt know it was also a thyroid symptom! I used to blame the car rides hay fever etc lm all fluey too yea theres alot of junk about right now the weather dont help l hope its good news today when you get your blood test results back fingers crossed here for you. Ive got a really bad headache at mo and my eyes are red raw again look like ive been crying for days lol maybe l have been inside anyhow lve got to have a quick nap im knackered good luck l will be back on later to see how you done take care xxx love niecsey

Old 09-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Niecsey,
You have GOT to ask for copies of your lab results!!

This is no time to be shy or blindly trust any doctor. Your health depends on you being an active partner in your health care. You can't do that without the proper information.

I suspect your doctor is confused about your labs because he/she is not well adept at treating hyperthyroid patients....it's quite common for these doc's to be clueless on how to handle us!

Call them up and ask them to fax or mail you a copy of your results. It is your right to have a copy of them.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi K9Mom xx Thank you for yet another good reply l will ask for my labs l promise l will be seeing my own doc/gp next week are you in the UK? Im abit wary about ringing the hospital and asking for them l dont want to cause a scene l know people in the US etc can get theres without trouble if you know what l mean l dont want them to think im been 'awkward' yes been shy with those in 'authority' has always been my problem i took the block n replace nearly 5 hours ago and lm so tired then again l have been for days! bit spaced out too lol Got my period so feel yacky anyhow now!!!! I do want to take part in my recovery very much so ,lm a great believer in 'if you understand whats and why somethings happening to you........ then your half way cured.!' Thats how l dealt with anxiety and panic attacks etc years ago l learnt as much as l could and l do have a good try at this thyroid nightmare! I WILL get my test results. I dont want the 'you cant believe everything you read on the internet chat' with the doc. Im going to tell him l want my own copy to make a diary/journal to see if l can help myself more, then l will be sh** hot on here and post them! hahahaha does anyone else have probs asking for copies? Or is it just me? I did ask a few eeks ago and she couldnt get her printer working (shes not my ususal doc) so if l hear that again l will have a pen and notebook ready in my bag K9 sorry to cause you frustration. Have a good day all xxxx I WILL BE BACK!!

Closed Thread