It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 AM   #1

Glamourgirl HB User
Need Advice!! Calling All Experts

Hello,
I was diagnosed and treated for hyper approx 5 years ago. For the past 21/2 yrs I've been without treatment b/c dr. left town without disclosing his plans to most patients. I've seen 2 dr. since that time. The Dr's I've seen said "I was within range" I just found out yesterday that I'm 8 wks pregnant. I went into the ER with severe symptoms.. symptoms of what?? not too sure. I've been extremely exhausted to the point I can't bathe myself. Running low grade fever, insomnia, and for the past three days frequent trips to the bathroom(if ya know what I mean). When I went into the Er I didn't tell them I was once treated for hyper, b/c the Dr's say I'm O.K. (don't feel like it). When the Dr was doing the exam he said "you have a goiter on the right side of your neck, have you ever heard of Graves?" well I began to cry. Had I heard of it my god, YES!!!! His diagnosis was that I was having some sort of flare up, and the pregnancy was exagerating it, and I was dehydrated. Suggested that I see an OB/GYN that he knew that was "very knowledgeable" w/ thyroid. So I took his advice. Saw him yesterday, he said he doesn't think I should be medicated for the hyper, that again "i was within range". All he had available at that point was TSH it was .56. Waiting on free T4. Now I feel horrible, going on 10 days this way. I've been reading about the effects to the fetus w/ treatment and w/out. I don't know if I should listen to him and wait it out, and I don't know if I should put my baby at risk. My TSH has dropped from 1.46 in June to .56 Sept. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help shed some light. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Need Advice!! Calling All Experts

There are many knowledgeable people here on these boards that will respond and help you out. I will tell you this though, it is not an easy task to get a doctor to treat your symptoms, because they (doctors) are driven by your levels. However, I'm pretty sure that I have read that while you are pregnant it is important to go by the lab ranges instead of symptoms. I'm sure this is hell, but apparantly it is good for the baby. I (personally) would recommend one of two things 1) scratch this doctor and start with a new one or 2) if you feel you can talk to this doctor, go back to him as soon as possible and ask for the following things (actually, even if you decide to go to a different doctor, you need to have the following checked out): since he is already checking your Free T4, ask for your Free T3 levels, also ask for an antibodies test to see what is attacking your thyroid. Sometimes the antibodies that cause Hashimotos can cause a person to go into hyper-mode. Since the ER doctor said you have a goiter, ask your doctor if he feels any nodules.

I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 2002 (however, I was not pregnant) and was found to have nodules. They were non-cancerous (as most are). So, if your doc thinks you have nodules, don't freak out, it will most likely be ok as a lot of people get them and many don't even know it! (even if it is cancerous, thyroid cancer has an AMAZING success rate of beating it!)

When you get your labs, just post them here and continue to ask questions of this board. Everyone here is here to help!
Good luck and congradulations on the pregnancy!

Last edited by zekat; 09-08-2004 at 08:34 AM.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

No expert here....just another Graves patient.

But here's my two cents....Our thyroid levels go up in the first trimester because the baby is dependent on the mom for their thyroid hormone. Pregnancy is a known trigger for thyroid disorders. I know that you are miserable, but I think you might need to wait it out until you at least get into the 2nd trimester...that is when the baby's thyroid will form and begin functioning on it's own.

Last edited by K9Mom; 09-08-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #4

Glamourgirl HB User

Thanks for listening.. I'm so confused, and siiiick these days!!! I'm on unfamiliar territory, and so affraid to make a mistake, but at the same time need to well for my family!!

Old 09-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #5

hyperone HB User

I am a graves patient as well as suffered with Postpartum thyroiditis and 3 miscarriages! Listen to your body and REST!!!!!!!!!! Many people feel terrible during early pregnancy without thyroid conditions. I know I slept much of my first trimester of my third pregnancy which was the first baby I was able to carry to delivery. I walked for exercise when I was able and then rested bunches. Chores were low priority! Good luck!

Closed Thread