It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Test Result Questions Please

Hello everyone

I have had hypothyroid symptoms for years. I have been tested several times and the results are always in the normal range. Some of my symptoms include low body temperature, always cold, extreme fatigue, lethargy, brain fog, weight gain regardless of diet and exercise, heavy periods, high cholesterol (which I never had prior to these symptoms), sore muscles. I don't know if it is related, but I always feel like something is stuck in my throat. I have been getting treated for tickborne illnesses and some of these symptoms may overlap. I wonder if these other illnesses have overwhelmed my immune system to the point of being hypothyroid? Is that possible?

I have heard that thyroid tests are not completely reliable. My doctor has tested me several times. This time, she included the antibody test which I have heard is more accurate. Is this true?

My results are as follows:

TSH 2.884 (0.350-5.500 normal)
T4 9.4 (1.5-12.0 normal)
T3 Uptake 30 (24-39 normal)
Free T 2.8 (1.2-4.9 normal)

Thyroid Antiobodies: Positve at 52 (0-34 normal)

Should the antibody test result alone merit treatment? Is 52 considered high? My doctor has ordered a sonogram. What do you guys think about this situation? I am hopeful because the antibody test is positive, and I believe many of my symptoms can be helped with treatment.

I appreciate any advice you can share.

Last edited by ticker; 09-08-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: Test Result Questions Please

The antibody test does warrant treatment, but more than that, so do your symptoms.

Most people feel best when their TSH level is around 1, but more important than that, Free T4 and Free T3 should be in the top third of the normal range.

The "normal" range for TSH is actually something more like 0.3 - 2.5 .... In my opinion, you probably should have been getting treatment a long time ago. I was Dx with TSH 1.85 - now my doctor doesn't even look at it, he looks at T3 and T4 as an indicator of how to medicate me - oh yeah, and my SYMPTOMS.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Other than your antibody test the others are outdated and almost useless. You need to get your Free Ts tested (FT3 and FT4). Positive antibodies is a sign that you're dealing with an autoimmune type of thyroid disease.

Your doctor ordered the sonogram to looks for nodules or a goiter.

You definitely should be treated judgeing from your symptoms, hopefully your doctor will listen to you. You should also push for the right tests. Check out the Information Archive in this forum - you'll get some good advice on how to talk to your doctor about tests and treatment.

Best,
Nat

Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SarahF and Gopherhead, thank you so much for your responses. I hope my doctor will treat me so I can get some relief from these terrible long-term symptoms. I have the feeling the doctor will not treat unless something shows up on the additional tests. I will definitely check out the information archive.

Thanks again. I hope you are both doing well.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Just curious about the tickborn illness. My son who has hyoT was bitten by a deer tick about a year before he was diagnosed. He had Lyme's disease and was treated for that. I never thought about it before until I saw your post. I also am hypoT.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bellajoon. How old is your son? Many people believe that Lyme disease can cause thyroid problems. Was your son thoroughly treated? If you want to tell me the particulars of his case--how long he was sick before getting diagnosed, how long he was treated etc.--I can give you my non-medical, tickborne illness sufferer's opinion

Last edited by ticker; 09-09-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Closed Thread