It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

joykr27 HB User
Autoimmune thyroid?

I went to a Gyno and was diagnosed with PCOS. She did blood work and called me back and told me my thyroid had high antibodies 42. She told me to go see my regular doc. The doc wasn't concerned about it, she said in the future I could have problems with hypothyroid. My other levels are fine. I will be going to see an endro.
What do you think about this. SHould I worry? Is there any treatment that can be done now? I am so freaking out. Any respone will be appreciated. Thank YOU

Last edited by joykr27; 09-08-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Autoimmune thyroid?

Do yourself a favor and find another doctor to treat your thyroid, the sooner, the better. It's quite likely that hypoT has caused your PCOS, and here's an explanation of how it did it ~ "Hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) can lead to a reduction of sex hormone binding globulin and increase in free testosterone. Free testosterone is one of the factors contributing to PCOS symptoms -- infertility, polycystic ovaries, hirsutism, male pattern hair loss, and acne."

Your "other levels" that are supposed to be fine probably aren't. Never accept at face value a doctor's verdict that your thyroid tests are "normal". Learn for yourself what good levels should look like so you'll never be at the mercy of a doctor's uninformed opinion about your thyroid again. They are wrong much more often than they're right. You can post your test results here if you care to. Someone can help you see if they really are "fine".

Don't "freak out" about the antibodies. Their presence means you have Hashimoto's disease. It nearly always leads to thyroid failure, but with expert medical help, you can overcome it and thrive in spite of it. The key word is "expert". Find a caring and knowledgeable doctor who treats patients instead of lab sheets and you'll do fine.

Start reading as much as your mind can absorb about the proper treatment of hypoT. An informed patient always does better than one who lets the doctor do all the "driving".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

joykr27 HB User
Re: Autoimmune thyroid?

Thank You so much for your reply. I appreciate your knowledge. I have an appointment with endro Oct 26, but am on the call list so maybe I will be seen sooner. I also post my test results under Please help with test results. You are an

Closed Thread