It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 03:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Question Diet pills and hypo

Has anyone heard of the new diet pill cortislim?
If so , DO you think it would be safe to take while being treated with Naturethroid?
I was reading up on it and they say its all natural.....
Take Care Shelly

Old 09-09-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User
Re: Diet pills and hypo

I take Synthroid and when I picked up my last refill from drugstore they had info with it that said no diet pills.....I wish we could take something to "help" I'm sick of the weight....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Any kind of diet pill with ephedra would be a no-no. I looked up the ingredients in Cortislim, and they seem to be only vitamins, minerals, and herbs that would be safe with thyroid hormone ~ Vitamin C, calcium, chromium, Cortiplex Blend (magnolia bark extract, beta-sitosterol, theanine), Leptiplex Blend (green tea extract, bitter orange peel extract), Insutrol Blend (banaba leaf extract, vanadium).

I won't say the pills work; just that they'd be safe ... and a bit pricey, IMO.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

The ingredients in Cortislim include Vitamin C, calcium, chromium, Cortiplex Blend (magnolia bark extract, beta-sitosterol, theanine), Leptiplex Blend (green tea extract, bitter orange peel extract), Insutrol Blend (banaba leaf extract, vanadium). There's nothing new here and infact some of it is a little misleading; teanine is actually found in Green Tea. Anyway, these are common ingredients in diet pills and supplements.

Part of the Cortislim "plan" is healthy eating and exercise. In all honesty, you might as well do just that and forget about buying diet pills as such a common sense approach is the only strategy that works in the long-term.

More troublesome is that the people who sell Cortislim admit to the following, "As with any natural product, there will be a range of effects experienced by users."

You might also be interested in knowing that a nationwide consumer class action lawsuit was filed on July 12, 2004 against the manufacturer and distributor of CortiSlim. Filed on behalf of named residents of 26 different states, the suit seeks to represent a class of consumers nationwide who have purchased CortiSlimô based on its allegedly misleading advertising claims.

The suit charges CortiSlim with using a series of misleading infomercials in which the human body's ability to regulate weight loss is allgedly linked to the body's production of a chemical substance called cortisol. Contrary to defendants' advertisments, the suit contends that defendants' marketing claims are unsubstantiated and lack a valid scientific basis

Caveat emptor.
Nat

Old 09-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

To add to what Gopherhead posted. Cortisol is a NECESSARY hormone in our bodies. While it is true that EXCESS Cortisol can and will cause weight gain, especially in the abdomen and face, Cortisol is NOT an enemy, but a friend when levels are not too high.

In fact, many thyroid patients have low-normal Cortisol levels and taking something to lower Cortisol could be detrimental to your health in that case. If your cortisol is too low you can have adverse reactions to the thyroid meds because Cortisol is necessary to help the body deal with the stress caused as we take thyroid meds to raise our metabolism.

Personally, I take Cortisol tablets (aka Cortef or Hydrocortisone) daily and actually started losing weight when I raised my cortisol level. In my case, raising my Cortisol helped me better use my thyroid meds, raising my metabolism, and thus the weight loss.

Cortisol is also necessary for helping to keep blood glucose from dropping too low. If you are hypoglycemic, an dunderlying cause is likely low or low-normal Cortisol. taking something that lowers Cortisol in this case could also be detrimental.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-09-2004 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typos

Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Cortisol is also necessary for helping to keep blood glucose from dropping too low. If you are hypoglycemic, an dunderlying cause is likely low or low-normal Cortisol. taking something that lowers Cortisol in this case could also be detrimental.[/QUOTE]
Well shoes I guess I will leave the stuff alone...I suffer enough from low sugar sure as hell dont want to aggravate that anymore than it already is..lol
THANKS EVERYONE..Guess I will stick to the old fashion way..walk 3 miles a day..

Closed Thread