It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

raleigh86 HB User
Thyroid nodules and more....

I am a 53 year old female that has not felt "well" for 6 months. My first symptoms were tingling in hands and feet, along with some swelling in joints, lightheadedness and a general pressure on right side of my face. These symptoms started while taking statin meds for high cholesterol. As soon as I stopped the statins, the symptoms went away, except for the last time. I'm beginning to think that I had more then 1 thing going on. My doctor did blood work in April and all was normal. Because of the head thing, she sent me for brain MRI. The only thing that showed, was a sinus cyst, so I went to ENT. He said that most people have sinus cysts, probably born with them, and it was no in a position to cause my problems. I went to neurologist who did nerve testing, all OK, but he sent me for cervical spine MRI, also normal. My doctor has given me Xanax for stress. I am a high anxiety person, but felt my stress level was up because of all the medical stuff I have going on, but it wasn't causing my symptoms. On my last doctor's visit, she found my thyroid enlarged and sent me for thyroid ultrasound, which showed multiple nodules, with the largest one being on the right side, coincidentally, where the pressure is in my head. I have appt. with endocrinologist next week and will probably have a biopsy. My question, my thyroid blood work was normal in April, plus the doctor did not find my thryoid to be enlarged. In a few months time, the thyroid is now enlarged. If my blood work doesn't show any abnormality, would I still have thyroid symptoms? I have scanned some of the symptoms people have posted on this sight, and I have lots of them. My fear, if I have nodules removed and still end up with the symptoms that have been plaguing me for 6 months. If my blood work is normal and I have nodules, do I fit in either the hyper or hypo category? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Thyroid nodules and more....

Hi ! I am sorry you are having all these problems. I wish I could help you but I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

I do know that if you have any bloodtests done you can get a copy of them and post them on the board. Someone can help interpret them for you.

Betty

Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
If my blood work doesn't show any abnormality, would I still have thyroid symptoms?
Not only can you still have symptoms... but the symptoms are from your thyroid. Thyroid tests are very subjective; there is no "normal" or "abnormal" about them. Doctors have to know what they're looking for, and sadly, they haven't been taught how to interpret them. It takes an average of 6 consultations before a diagnosis is reached. That's how widespread the ignorance of thyroid knowledge is among medical professionals.
If you aren't getting help from the MDs you've seen already, keep searching out one who will help.
The fact that your thyroid's enlarged and you have symptoms says volumes, even if your test results are in the "normal" range.

Quote:
If my blood work is normal and I have nodules, do I fit in either the hyper or hypo category?
There's no telling... It can be either. The way to tell is by measuring your blood levels of free T4 and free T3. If they are at the top of the range or above, you're hyper. If they are below median-range, you're hypo.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

raleigh86 HB User

Thanks for your imput. I see an endocrinologist next week. I am hoping whatever needs to be done to my thyroid, will untimately eliminate my symptoms. I'm sure there is no quick fix. This has been going on for 6 months and I can't wait to start feeling better.

Closed Thread