It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

nova44 HB User
Please help!

Please help me.. anyone!
I am 20.. after trying to get pregnant with DH for 7 months I got pregnant but then had a sudden miscarriage at 6 weeks. 2 months later I am pregnant and it's full term. My baby boy was born Jan 27th this year. When I was pregnant I was diagnosed with anemia... I would sleep all day and all night. Feb I was tested again and I was still very anemic (iron level 8.1). I didn't take anything for it because it gave me the worst constipation. Up until today I would blame my wanting to sleep all day 24/7 to anemia.. same with my forgetfulness from being so tired. Well today after having a blood test it showed I had no more anemia.. i'm cured. Well, why am I still SO tired all the time? The dr suggested because of my baby but I said no.. he sleeps through the night since 2 weeks and he's a very easy going baby. I could sleep all day and all night and all day again and still be exsausted (spelling?). So she suggested talking to my dr about my thyroid. I looked it up tonight and there was so many symptoms I noticed I have. My last period was just spotting, no cramps, fatigue 24/7, weakness, forgetfulness etc..
maybe this is the reason it took so long to get pregnant? maybe it's the reason for my miscarriage? I don't know if these are symptoms but this is other stuff: cold feet.. all the time. I'm usually always cold but my feet are the worst.

TIA!! I'd appreciate any answer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: Please help!

congrats on the baby!

did you breastfeed at all? That may delay or throw off your period.

as far as sleeping it may just be from all the months of you sleeping 24/7- your body is just in the habit.

if you are concerned then get a thyroid test done it wouldn't hurt.

you can post your results here and I am sure someone will look at them and give their opinion.

There is also postpartum thyroiditis, which is what I thought I had, but I think you would be over that by now, if you gave birth in Jan.

Good luck!
April

Old 09-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I will slightly disagree with April in that I'll say it much more forcefully.... Yes! Get tested!
Your miscarriage may indeed be connected to thyroid disease, as can anemia and all the other things you mentioned.
Insist on a TSH, free T4, free T3, and anti-TPO and anti-Tg antibodies. Don't omit the antibodies tests.... TPO ABs have been connected to fertility problems and recurrent miscarriage.... although thyroid disease can cause these even without ABs.
Let us know how it goes... and kiss the baby for me.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

nova44 HB User

Thanks to the both of you! Makes me want to get it checked out even more. As for breastfeeding.. no i'm not. I will be getting checked for thyroid on the 15th although i'm not sure what test(s) they will do. This is just what the doctor recommended for me though since no more anemia. A lot of people suggest it's from the baby but he could be gone all day and all night and I still feel like I was up all that time. I often forget things that are told to me and that I read but I blame this on being stupid or my tiredness. I know 6 months is average to get pregnant but I wish I was one of those high school kids that get pregnant from having sex once, kwim? I haven't been on bc since I had my baby and i'm not pregnant. I will be getting it on the 15th though as well. Thanks for all your help.. if I get the results back i'll be sure to post them!

Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
i'm not sure what test(s) they will do.
I want to stress to you that most doctors are satisfied that one test - the TSH - will tell them everything they need to know. It is NOT. The TSH can take years to elevate above the normal lab range when actual thyroid hormones are low, and you're doomed to suffer a long time until that happens. Sometimes it never elevates. You can see the problem with testing only TSH.
Be polite about it, but be insistent on the tests I named above. If insurance and cost containment is an issue, at the very least have TSH, free T4, and antibodies. The postpartum period is a common time for autoimmune thyroid trouble to set in, and the antibodies will show it even if the other levels look ok.

Closed Thread