It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Smile Midwest- Anemia Question

Hello!

I read in the other post that anemia is associated with thyroid problems. Is that both hyper and hypo?

I am curious b/c I read in a different post about someone who had restless legs syndrome. Which I have also. Not severe. I just get it every so often for a few nights in a row. I looked around on the net and saw that RLS is associated with low iron. Which can be associated with thyroid? Or is it just something on it's own?

Just curious what your thoughts are!

Thanks!

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Midwest- Anemia Question

April, Midwest I aint (who is!) but I have found that serum ferritin appears to be sensitive to thyroid status, especially in women. It is generally higher in cases of hyperthyroidism and lower in cases of hypothyroidism. I've also found that lower and higher than normal levels of serum ferritin can increase the prevalence of goiters.

Another condition which is pretty rare but happens more frequently in people who are hypoT is Hemochromatosis. Its an an inherited disorder that results from excessive iron absorption from food. It is more common in people ages 40 to 60 years, and in men more often than in women.

If you do get yourself tested for anemia be sure your doctor runs a full panel - a simple serum iron test isn't sufficient for diagnosing anemia or Hemochromatosis, Iron is stored inside your cells and serum tests do not measure it.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Midwest- Anemia Question

GH beat me to the punch with the answer ... great info there, GH.

I don't have anemia, so I don't know a lot about the whys and wherefores, but the connection between it and TD is there.
Googling around briefly though, I found a bit about copper-deficient anemia being more associated with hyperT than iron-deficiency. But doctors don't know much about copper deficiency anemia, try supplementing with loads of iron... which doesn't work and further depletes the stores of copper.... making things worse.

Either way, all the different sorts of anemia have been associated in some way with both hypoT and hyperT.

Closed Thread