It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #1

wendybx3 HB User
depression after thyroid removal?

I have been on Zoloft for about a year for depression. I recently had my thyroid removed in July. I was put on synthoid and it had been increased twice already and I still continue the Zoloft. But now I am beginning to feel like the depression may be coming back. Has anyone ever had this symtom after thyroid surgery?

Last edited by wendybx3; 09-11-2004 at 07:42 AM.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: thyroid and depression

Hypothyroidism and depression are handmai dens, Wendy.

From what I've gathered reading research and info on this board the Zoloft doesn't work when the thyroid doesn't work. I've also learned that having only T4 replacement (synthroid is only T4) doesn't work well for everyone, many people do much better on natural thyroid meds (Armour, Thyroid, etc) because it contains T4 and T3 - T3 is the more active of the thyroid hormones.

Have you had any tests done recently? Can you post the results and the ranges ? There are some really knowledgeable people here who can offer input and advice.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 09-11-2004 at 07:43 AM. Reason: apparently you can't stype hand mai dens as one word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2004, 07:47 AM   #3

wendybx3 HB User

Thanks for responding. I have only have one set of tests since the surgery and Im not due for another one until beginning of November. Im not excactly sure what my numbers were. At the time I was feeling pretty good so I thought things were going to be ok. Boy was I wrong. I guess I will be giving my doctor a call on Monday.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I just wanted to say that I am hypo and was taking Lexapro. It actually made me feel more depressed.

It looks like to me that you need your thyroid levels tested a little more often.
You gotta watch some of these docs. I have been hypo since July and the doc never let me have any t4 supplement. I call it negligence. Thank god I will be getting some medicine from a new doc this week. Can't hardly wait and tired of suffering. Pretty soon I will not have any hair left on my head.

Take care of yourself and don't suffer like I have been doing.

Betty

Old 09-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

You know sometimes my brain doesn't work right - one of those hypoT symptoms Out of the blue something hit me that should have been obvious earlier today.

You might actually do better with the natural thyroid (Armour in the US) as it contains the T3. I recall reading that psychiastrist use T3 (available as cytomel) to treat depression in patients. I am sure you'll hear more about this from other replies - as I said, there are some really smart people here.

Nat

Old 09-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

As GH says, some T3 may very well be the answer for you. You probably will have to convince your doctor that that's the way to go, though, because most of them think T4 is enough. It most often isn't. Change doctors if you can't convince him; T3 is that important to brain function.

Some reading you can do that points out the error of the T4-only way of thinking ~
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Dr. Kenneth Blanchard
The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem
and
Thyroid Power by Dr. Richard Shames

Old 09-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #7

Micksterna HB User

I had been overdosed on synthroid & was really, really depressed. Maybe they are giving you too much. But, it cannot hurt to try for the T3 drug - my doc won't here of it, (or maybe hasn't ever heard of it & won't learn anything new) but we finally found a dosage on T4 only that isn't problematic for me. I think that I must be converting o.k., because my energy slumps & brainfog have gone by the wayside! FINALLY!! Unfortunately, it took about a year to get it just right. Hang in there

Micki

Old 09-12-2004, 01:27 AM   #8

Felix73 HB User

Midwest,

Is it usual to feel depressed when you first start T4? I've been up and down since I started over a month ago now.

Thanks,

Felix x

Old 09-12-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Felix, I have read that you can actually feel worse at the outset than better, especially if you're on a low dose. The low dose of T4 lowers the pituitary glandís secretion of TSH, which in turn reduces the thyroid glandís secretion of T4 and T3. If your T4 dose is too low to compensate for the thyroid glandís reduced release of T4 and T3, your metabolism slows further and your symptoms do not improve, they may even get worse.

Sucks, doesn't it?
Nat

Old 09-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: thyroid and depression

wendybx3...Hello and welcome to the board!

Something I learned the hard way...Zoloft can sometimes just stop working for people. I took 100mg/day for a couple of years due to what my doctor called "situational depression". On 2 different occasions the med began losing it's effectiveness and the black cloud of depression came back. During this time my doctor had me take another AD but nothing ever worked like Zoloft...and Prozac was absolutely horrible for me. After giving my body a break from it for a few weeks he had me restart the Zoloft and all was well again. He did tell me that sometimes the Zoloft will just stop working and the patient has to take a break from it.

That said, I can't help but wonder too about the possibility of your depression being linked to your thyroid disease...especially considering the timing of your beginning on Zoloft and your surgery, etc. Looking back, do you feel there might be a connection to the timing of everything?

This article might be of interest to you and others here. Just copy and past the URL below into your browser address bar and scan down to the section entitled "Effects of TH Imbalance: Hypothyroidism". It discusses the thyroid-depression connection. After having your levels checked to verify a deficiency, the addition of T3 very well may help what you're experiencing.

I wish you the best and keep us posted!

http://www.csa.com/hottopics/thyroid/overview.html

Old 09-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Hi, Wendy. Welcome to the board, and thank you for starting this thread. I hope the replies have been helpful to you. They have most definitely been helpful to me (I have hypothyroidism, suffer from depression, and take Celexa). Thanks to all who responded with such informative posts, and many thanks to JohnsBabe for posting that article link. I am going to have a long talk with my endo about why I am not being treated with T3 (I only take Synthroid).

Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #12

wendybx3 HB User

Gopherhead was right. There are some very nice and knowledgeable people here. Thank you all for replying. I will be giving my doctor a call this week.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:38 PM   #13

smylenethy HB User

hi, i am on effexor xr 75mg for depression, and i am on synthyriod100mcg. i found out my thyriod stopped working all together. i have had very moody spells befor i was put on this stuff.i have been very tired for probably the last year,i have had several problems that a sociate with the thyriod since i got my periods at 10. i just had a baby 5 months ago it was a stressful pregnancy,father left when he found out i went into early labor,spent 3 months in hospital i had a endo come see me almost everyday cuz i was diabetic with the pregnancy. after i had the baby i thought i was having the blues and i went to a doctor, and she found my thyriod wasn't working, so she referd me to the endo i saw in the hosiptal. well this doctor wanted to get things straighten out with the thyriod then he wanted to do some testing for pcos ( cuz he thinks i have it.) anyways the insurance made me change doctors . i had blood work up done
and he tells me everything is normall, and keep doing what i am doing see yah in a year to recheck. well i don't feel right i have no energy. so i call this man back and tell him i dont feel right i want to see a endo. well he told me i don't have to see a endo at this point,and that everyone at one time or another feels tired at times and we need to get off our buts and push our selfs. well i have a 9 yr okld and 5 mon
baby see a lot of doctors(she has a birthmark that broke open on her nose and she is on meds,and will need surgery) anyways it makes me angery this jerk has no idea what i have been throw. and he wants me to stop takeing effexor tomarrow?i have talked to others about this and they say they think i should come off slowly?

Closed Thread