It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Question miswest -- how are you doing on cortef?

hiya,

this is obviously the wrong board, but i know you have the dreaded adrenal fatigue ... how are you doing on the cortef? does it cause stomach burn/heartburn?

also, do you still take your thyroid meds? meep says that one should have one's adrenals checked b/f one's thyroid, but what about when you're hypO and then acquire adrenal fatigue?

i've been feeling awful, increasingly so, for about the past week and a half or two weeks: my symptoms are extreme tingling in my hands and feet (up to my forearms and calves), anxiety (i feel this worse and worse as the day wears on, until last night i was in a terror, wondering when i was going to die), i'm sensitive and irritable, depressed, my jaws and neck muscles (and to some extent my chest) ache when i chew (a banana!), my throat spasms occasionally, i'm hyper but weak, i've lost weight, my abdomen aches, i have a low-grade constant headache, i'm sensitive to both heat and cold, have heart palps, and when i finally get to sleep (frankly, i've been taking benzos for the past few nights to quell the rising horror/terror/panic), i sleep like a log for 6 hours or so ...

all this on thyroid medication b/c i am hypo ...

i tried upping my synthroid (three weeks ago for four days, to 237), but i think that made my hands and feet tingle so i've dropped back again (by 12.5mcg, to 225mcg per day) ... in july, b/f going on a boating vacation i was taking 237mcg in anticipation of increased activity, but a sudden attack of nausea made me cut back on aug. 15th, the day i left -- to (argh!) 200mcg, which i now realize was too much ...

so in june i was at 225, mid-july at 237, mid-aug i cut back to 200 (nausea -- dumb move - really stupid move and typical of foggy thinking), end of aug i went back up to 237 (and began to tingle) and am now at 225 until further notice ... i also tried 2.5mcg of cytomel on the 9th (friday) but just felt weird, so decided not to do that again ...

i've always felt i was a candidate for adrenal fatigue, just b/c it feels like it (i rarely felt anything more than 80% well -- at my best -- on synthroid/cytomel), and more to the point, i guess, i was tested twice by my endo and told i was just out of the range (i really hate a range -- anything that has a range) ...

so i just wondered how you're doing ... and do you post on the addison's board?

jb

~ i've not had a thyroid panel since july 19th, but then my TSH was .05 (.35 to 5), my fT4 13.8 (10 to 20), and my fT3 4.3 (2.6 to 5.7) ... i was still on 225mcg synthroid then ... i keep thinking i should be tested and then things change, but i'll go tomorrow for sure ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: miswest -- how are you doing on cortef?

Well darn it, jingle.... Here I thought we don't hear much from you anymore because you're now so chipper and fine that you're out living it up and don't need us anymore...

I refuse to pretend I know anything at all about this adrenal business, except I'm now pretty certain I don't have a problem with it... unless my month-long adventure with the Cortef cured it or something. (Doubtful, don't you think?) No, it didn't upset my stomach, but I'm not much prone to queasiness in general. The directions say to take it with food, but I take the first dose with my Armour in the a.m. ( doc said it's ok to do it that way.) During the past week or so, I've forgotten the noon dose at least a third of the time.... But it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me anyway. I expect he'll take me off of it when he hears my aches are still there. That's why I don't think adrenal is the problem.

A new idea about my muscle aches popped into my head last week. In the past, I had a problem with a "pocket" of lactic acid buildup near my shoulder blade, which pressed on the nerves to my arm and caused quite a lot of pain. So I surmised that this could again be the source of my arm weakness again... So I hauled myself off to the chiro to see if an adjustment or two or three might help. Had three adjustments without noticible improvement in the arm weakness. It wasn't until the third chiro visit that he discovered more of those lactic acid knots on both sides, which he said could be removed by massage, but that he couldn't do it due to arthritis in his hands.

I have a checkup with doc on Wednesday. I plan to run the lactic acid theory by him and see if my insurance will foot the bill for therapeutic massage upon his recommendation. I've been googling around with a vengeance looking for references to this kind of lactic acid buildup and hypo ... It's all very scientific info, and not being a scientist, it's hard to decipher. But I'm thinking that the slow clearance of toxins that hypos are prone to would make this problem more likely for us.

If this isn't it, next thing I'll consider is the low-grade chronic sinus infection as a source of the pain. I've had a balky sinus for probably 20 years. Irrigation keeps the acute infections at bay, but even this low-grade thing is a thistle in my side... Or maybe a pain in my neck? lol

Aside from the achy neck and shoulders and weak arms, I'm feeling pretty good now.
Wish you were too, jingle...
Your T4 is still so low... and at such a huge dose! Do you think you'll ever be able to try natural Thyroid? You went to a naturopath, didn't you?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: miswest -- how are you doing on cortef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1

I refuse to pretend I know anything at all about this adrenal business, except I'm now pretty certain I don't have a problem with it... unless my month-long adventure with the Cortef cured it or something. (Doubtful, don't you think?) No, it didn't upset my stomach, but I'm not much prone to queasiness in general. The directions say to take it with food, but I take the first dose with my Armour in the a.m. ( doc said it's ok to do it that way.) During the past week or so, I've forgotten the noon dose at least a third of the time.... But it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me anyway. I expect he'll take me off of it when he hears my aches are still there. That's why I don't think adrenal is the problem.

A new idea about my muscle aches popped into my head last week. In the past, I had a problem with a "pocket" of lactic acid buildup near my shoulder blade, which pressed on the nerves to my arm and caused quite a lot of pain. So I surmised that this could again be the source of my arm weakness again... So I hauled myself off to the chiro to see if an adjustment or two or three might help. Had three adjustments without noticible improvement in the arm weakness. It wasn't until the third chiro visit that he discovered more of those lactic acid knots on both sides, which he said could be removed by massage, but that he couldn't do it due to arthritis in his hands.

I have a checkup with doc on Wednesday. I plan to run the lactic acid theory by him and see if my insurance will foot the bill for therapeutic massage upon his recommendation. I've been googling around with a vengeance looking for references to this kind of lactic acid buildup and hypo ... It's all very scientific info, and not being a scientist, it's hard to decipher. But I'm thinking that the slow clearance of toxins that hypos are prone to would make this problem more likely for us.

If this isn't it, next thing I'll consider is the low-grade chronic sinus infection as a source of the pain. I've had a balky sinus for probably 20 years. Irrigation keeps the acute infections at bay, but even this low-grade thing is a thistle in my side... Or maybe a pain in my neck? lol

Aside from the achy neck and shoulders and weak arms, I'm feeling pretty good now.
Wish you were too, jingle...
Your T4 is still so low... and at such a huge dose! Do you think you'll ever be able to try natural Thyroid? You went to a naturopath, didn't you?

first of all, i didn't mean to spell your name "miswest" (a good one tho', and i shall consider calling you that in future, as in "miz west?") ...

i'm up and down, and have been down for the past ~three weeks (downer this week than ever) ... there's constant stress of staying with my husband while unable physically to cope with the selling and giving away amd renting and moving -- just writing this makes me nervous ...

i think that one can have "attacks" of adrenal fatigue (what say you, meep?), and i'm just coming out of one (either that or i've swung into hyper-land, but why wasn't i like this in june, on 225mcg still?) ... that could be a reason for your recovery -- you just needed a little boost and may need it again, i dunno ...

i do have a naturopath and am going to see her this afternoon, so i'm quite grateful for your quick response, and i shall posit this theory (which just now occurred to me) -- that one can have bouts of it ...

i'm leery about armour, b/c it may contain too much T3 for me ... i've been concentrating on the T4 b/c i don't seem to absorb much of that, but don't have a problem converting (when i took that 2.5mcg cytomel and just felt weird, i knew i needed no more T3! ... i know that anticonvulsants interfere with thyroid medication, so i'm not really bothered by how much i take -- i just wish i could be stable on it for even six months

but i'll talk about that to the ND too -- in for a penny, in for a pound

you say don't have adrenal fatigue anyhow, you think -- just a bunch of local probs? i'd look into that low-grade sinus infection if i were you ... infections really do a number on me, and i asssume they do, to a greater or lesser extent, on anyone, and in spades anyone who has thyroid disease ... i really think that might be a source of your aches and pains (but watch the antiB's tho -- gave me a raging vaginal infection , so you must be prepared with creams for that too) ...

let me know about the lactic acid stuff -- sounds interesting ...

i'm off to see the wizard (hmm, wizard of oz -- that's the guy behind the curtain, isn't it -- more like an endo, don't you think!) ... so i'm off to see the witch ... yeah, that's the ticket!

jb

~ there's a large moving van just outside our window, and i was reflecting on the smell -- deisel fuel -- and i finally realized -- smells like amsterdam!

Old 09-13-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: miswest -- how are you doing on cortef?

Yeah... that's it... Glinda the Good Witch! lol
Let us know what she says.
I agree, the wizard behind the curtain was probably an endo... All bluster and no brains.
You're so bad, jb...

Don't think I'm going to go the antibiotic route for the sinus thing. It isn't an active, acute infection, so I don't believe ABs will help... and I hate their side effects. Don't even know if doc would Rx them if I asked.... remember, he's a homeopath. (Which I suppose makes him a witch doctor in many people's eyes. ~york-york~ )

We'll get by, Kiddo... just kick together the heels of your red-sequin shoes and believe!

Closed Thread