It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Still a mystery

Okay, so after my second endocrinologist, I still have no answers. I just got my test results today, and the doctor called them "frustratingly normal." My next move is to just see a DO for a full checkup. I'm putting all of my labs here to see if anybody has any ideas about why my tests have been all over the place in the past few months. This summer my thyroid began enlarging, and topped out as a visible goiter that my friend described as "the size of a walnut." The swelling disappeared as mysteriously as it came, and my thyroid is virtually normal sized now. Does anybody have any clue what's going on here???

Kristin

August 1999: TSH 0.75
August 2003: TSH 1.93

June 15 2004:
T3 uptake: 27.1 (23.4-42.7)
T4 total: 7.8 (4.5-12.5)
T7 index: 2.1 (1.2-4.3)
TSH: 3.14 (.4-5.2)
T4 free: 1.2 (0.8-1.9)
Microsomal TPO-Ab: <2 (<2)
Thyroglobulin Ab: <2 (<2)
Rheumatoid factor: <7 (<14)
ANA: negative

August 16 2004:
T4 total: 9.7 (4.5-12.5)
TSH: 0.83 (0.4-5.2)
Microsomal TPO-Ab: <2 (<2)
Thyroglobulin Ab: <2 (<2)
I-123 Uptake and scan:
6 hours: 4%
24 hours: 8%
Heterogeneous distribution with more concentration in the right lobe
Ultrasound:
Heterogeneous echo pattern, no dysechogenic area of significance

September 9 2004: (I don't have the actual lab reports yet, just what the doc told me over the phone...)
TSH: 2.50 (0.4-5.2)
T3: 209 (don't have the range, but he said it was in the high end)
T4 free: 1.1 (0.8-1.9)
adrenal tests: normal
B12: normal (center of range)
Ultrasound:
A few very small cysts (<2 mm)
No other abnormalities in the thyroid or the rest of the neck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Still a mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner
I just got my test results today, and the doctor called them "frustratingly normal." My next move is to just see a DO for a full checkup.

September 9 2004: (I don't have the actual lab reports yet, just what the doc told me over the phone...)
TSH: 2.50 (0.4-5.2)
T4 free: 1.1 (0.8-1.9)
These are not really normal.

95% of the population has a TSH below 2, most women feel better with a TSH closer to 1. If you are being treated this number becomes pretty much meaningless and you should go by your Frees; FT4 and FT3 (T3 isn't good enough for this). Most people feel better when their FTs are in the upper 3rd of the range, your FT4 is quite low (lower than mine for instance and I am being treated).

I would seek out the DO and take these resutls with you. You need to find someone who is going to treat your symptoms.

Nat

Old 09-13-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yeah, I talked to the doc about the TSH "normal" range, and he admitted that there is lots of debate about it. But it is his position that even though the AACE and ATA favor lowering it to 2.0 or 2.5, it probably won't get lowered past 4.0. So with this background, he feels that even if one could call my numbers "slightly abnormal" my symptoms are still way out of proportion to my numbers.

I'm just confused about why my TSH and the size of my thyroid are fluctuating so much. Even if I do eventually find a doc who agrees that my blood tests indicate that I am hypo, what about those fluctuations?

Old 09-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I am sure you'll get some advice from those more knowledgeable about the size (fluctuating) of your thyroid. However, your FT4 is still low, which would coincide with your symptoms.

It would be more helpful if he did the same (and the correct) tests all the time - FT4, FT3 and the antibodies. From what I understand Total T's arent helpful, neither is the Uptake, and just what is a T7?

Nat

Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

The problem is that the three sets of tests were done by three different doctors. The antibodies have been done twice, so I'm going to give up on those for a while.

The T7 index is a way of calculating free T4 which isn't as accurate as directly measuring it.

I got an appointment with a DO for next Monday, and if she ends up wanting more blood (I feel like I'm running my own personal blood drive here...) I'm going to make sure that she checks my free T3, since that hasn't been checked yet. Other than that, I'm going to get a thorough physical and if she can't find anything else to explain my symptoms I'm going to hope that she will be willing to try me on some meds to see if it helps, seeing as I am either hypo or close to it if you take the updated ranges. And if she suggests that the symptoms are caused by depression I'll ask about giving thyroid meds to boost the power of my antidepressant, since I've heard of that being done too. Maybe she'll be less reluctant to do that than to give meds for a thyroid problem that she isn't sure is there... I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Fortunately they got me in fairly soon so I don't have to wait a long time.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too.

One more question: you had your adrenals checked and it says "normal"; what did they test and do you know the numbers? I've been doing some reading on Adrenal fatigue and often hypoT symptoms and those of adrenal fatigue ovelap. Just a thought.

Oh and thanks; I looked up T7 today, I hate not knowing what something means

Nat

Old 09-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know what tests exactly they ran. I was at the Mayo clinic and it's all computerized there so I never actually saw the lab orders. The doc called me yesterday with the results and is going to mail them, but he didn't tell me the names of the specific tests or the numbers, just that the tests that he ran on my adrenals all were normal. When I get them, I can post them here. Hopefully they come before Monday!

Closed Thread