It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

steph2000 HB User
Talking hypothyroid & pms

I'm new to the board and about 2 years being hypo. Just wondering if I am the only one who notices their symptoms worse during pms? Thanks!

Old 09-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #2

pokiedot HB User
Re: hypothyroid & pms

I'm also Hypo and I do have bad PMS symptons but I never really attributed it to my thyroid. I used to have really bad cramps when I was Hyper too. (I had my thyroid removed...hyper before hypo after) I guess it could be the reason. I do get bad cramps and BLOATING and EMOTIONAL!!!!! I cry a lot. So, I don't know. My gyno put me on Yasmin BC pills and it does seem to help with the cramps but I do still bet the bloating (which it claims your not suupposed to) and emotional. I don't know....I'm curious too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

OMG yes me and im hyper!!!! I go through all the motions (symptoms) sometimes l could run away now im on meds the last 2 periods havnt been too bad (fingers crossed) l feel like lm dying most months loads symptoms and when lm not dying l could kill!!! take care x

Old 09-15-2004, 05:16 AM   #4
(female)

steph2000 HB User

Thanks for replying. Along with my major cramps, bloating, being emotional. I also have more muscle pain/cramps. I'm glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I read a post yesterday by MEEP that could explain what is going on here. Physical stress causes the body to use and need more thyroid hormone. Having one's period takes energy, I know from when I was exercising heavily and dieting that if I didn't eat enough and get enough rest mine would last all of two days, instead of 4 or 5. Your cycle is one of the things that gets sacrificed when there isn't enough of everything to go around.

I would imagine that the delicate balance we are trying to establish by substituting hormones would be effected by this stress. It may simply be a matter of needing more sleep or a little higher dose.

The post is here: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1122769&postcount=24 and it's part of a great thead: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103584

Nat

Old 09-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph2000
. Along with my major cramps, bloating, being emotional. I also have more muscle pain/cramps. I'm glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy.
You are not alone......not only do we deal with thyroid we also get these other great symptoms.....

Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User

I have noticed that my pms is worse than it was before I was HypoT. Every month at that time, I get really sluggish and I can't function very well. I always ask myself at one point during that time "what is wrong with me?!" and then I remember, "oh yea, its my period and my thyroid".

Old 09-21-2004, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

steph2000 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I'm not glad that anyone else has the same symptoms, but I do feel better knowing that I am not going crazy. I always need to remind myself too that it's pms and thyroid!!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #9

smylenethy HB User

i can relate to pms also. i started my periods at 10. CRAMPS yeah i passed right out, my periods were very irreregular they had me on the pill to regulate it. MOODY AND VERY FORGETFUL,DEPRESSED,CRIED ALOT. plus i was told by 9 doctors that i couldn't have kids. i fooled them. with my 1st girl i got pregnant wheni was27, and i ended up with gestational dibetis, the 2nd girl i had 5 months ago. i had no idea i had problems with thyrriod. i went into preterm labor she was born 5 weeks early. i just found out my thyriod stopped working complelety. i have been on synthyriod for a few months and my preiods are better. so steph your not alone. alos with 2nd child i was diabetic also this time i had to give myself shots. i think i have had thyriod problems for years and didn't know.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I suffer from PMS. I get it all. I'm emotional to say the least. I could cry at the drop of a hat. I could blow my top at the drop of a hat. Laugh one minute, cry the next. I clot like crazy and bloat and oh God, the pain!
It's better when my thyroid is in check but it's getting worse lately with all the other hypo stuff. I think I need an increase in meds.
I'll tell you one thing that stopped the pain. Before I was dx'd hypo, my doc dx'd me with PMS. He told me that he was going to rx something for me to try. He said women had reported this medication helped with cramping. I tried it. It completely took away the cramps. For the first time in my life, I had no cramps! It was Prozac. I had to take it every day, not just when I had my period. Of course, it did nothing for the state of depression I was in at the time due to my undx'd hypothyroidism. But it took away the cramps. I would still be on it if I had insurance.
Barb

Closed Thread