It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
New labs - I guess this is it

In two months it will have been a full two years since having RAI done for a Graves diagnosis & going hypothyroid -- here I am, 3 doctors, 5 dosage/med changes & 60 pounds later with the best looking lab results yet:

TSH 1.34 (.4-5.50)
FreeT4 1.6 (.8-1.80)
FreeT3 280 (230-420)

I am currently on 5mcg of Cytomel & 200mcg Levoxyl. I saw a different doctor for the Cytomel prescription. My regular doctor (who ran these tests) says based on the results I could stop taking the Cytomel. Geeze, if anything it seems like I could take MORE Cytomel, doesn't it??? I think my TSH & Free T4 look perfect, but my FreeT3 could definately be a little better. I guess I need to see the doc who gave me the Cytomel script -- I just hate bouncing between doctors. However, I'm on a serious "weight-loss" campaign. I"ve just started weight watchers & will begin a regular exercise regimine (again) - I'm just so sick of being overweight & I've felt quiet depressed lately (of the crying variety which is an oddity for me). Maybe the depression has nothing to do with my thyroid at this point -- maybe it's just from being in a constant upheaval for the last two years trying to get my body straight. I dunno, maybe I just need to throw my towel in and be done with it. I've fought long and hard to get this far (if I would have listened to my docs, my T4 would still be around 1.2 & my TSH would still be around 3-5 & FreeT3 not even tested) but I've got to move on at some point. I'm just frustrated. I don't even really know why I'm posting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: New labs - I guess this is it

I agree, your free T3 needs to be higher. It will also be easier to loose weight if its higher, right now its too low, should be well above 325.

Good luck, I'd see the other doc.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

thank you for your reply. I was a bit depressed yesterday when I posted, so I'm sorry about that

Let me ask this though. I did not take my meds prior to being tested. Do you think the 5mcg Cytomel would make enough difference to put my Free T3 in the higher range throughout the day? I mean, like I was saying, I 'm just about through fighting & I do have to say for the most part that my labs look good (I NEVER thought my T4 was going to get above 1.2!).

I know I should see the other doc, but the most he might do is prescribe me 5mcg more of Cytomel, right?

Old 09-15-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
Let me ask this though. I did not take my meds prior to being tested. Do you think the 5mcg Cytomel would make enough difference to put my Free T3 in the higher range throughout the day?
T3 is very active, so it might. Are you splitting the dose and taking half in the morning and half in the afternoon? A lot of people on cytomel do this because T3 gets into the blood stream in about 2 hours, splitting the dose helps from having that afternoon slump.

Nat

Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

No, I have not been splitting my dose. Actually, the doc that prescribed me Cytomel gave me a script for 5mcg in the am & 5mcg in the pm. However, during my first week, the pm dose sent me into near panic mode about 15 minutes after taking it. I spoke to the doc and he said to just take the 5mcg in the am. See, this is the problem having two doctors, you know? If I started taking the 5mcg in the afternoon, could that possibly make my T4 go up even higher or will it only affect my T3? I could probably do that -- take the afternoon dose again & hopefully it won't have the same effects as it did previously? But I would hate for it to make my T3 go too high.

I guess I could go see the Cytomel doc (I hate going to him because I have a severe "blood pressure" anxiety & his nurse makes me freak out more - telling me things like "well, you don't want to die from a heart attack do you? YOu really need to stay informed of your blood pressure or you could stroke out on us". It just sucks) and have my labs drawn again AFTER taking my am Cytomel. Geeze, I just don't know. -- should I just start taking the 5mcg in the afternoon without seeing my doc again, or should I see my Cytomel doc & see what he says?

Old 09-15-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I think you should see the Cytomel Doc and I think you should let the nurse know that stressing people out makes their blood pressure worse and how would she like to be responsible for making you stroke out on her? (The best defence for a guilttripper is to lob it back at them - often then aren't even aware of what they are doing, but it's pretty damned irresponsible of her. )

The cytomel is going to effect your T3 levels, but *I think* it might, overtime, effect the T4 as less of the T4 will be needed to be converted to T3. This is jut me guessing, zekat.

What about splitting the one 5mcg dose in the a.m. into two 2.5mcg doses?

Hang in there - I am positive you'll get more advice from some people more experienced than me.

Nat

Closed Thread