It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #1

banjomama HB User
Question Newly diagnosed as hypothyroid- looking for help

HI everyone,

Well, here's my story. I have PCOS and just recently had a D&C for a very long AF. All that went well. Before that, though, my doctor ordered a TSH test. He just called me an hour ago with my results. Normal TSK is 0.2-4.0 and mine is 4.81. So he's sending me to another doctor, since he's an gyno.

Anyway, I had a suspicion that my thyroid was causing problems. Tired, anxiety, sensitivity to temperature, muscle aches, and now, of course my stupid menstrual cycle is goofy. It always was, but this seems different.

My question is about rashes and hives. I've looked everywhere for information on this and now I see that hives and rashes are a symptom of low thyroid. Could you tell me if this happens to any of you with Hypo?

If I take a hot shower, and step out of the shower into a cold bathroom, I'll get hives on my chest and arms. Basically, if my body is warmer than the surrounding area, liek if I go for a walk outside and get warm, but it's cool outside, I'll get the hives. In the past it was just across my chest, but lately I'll get them up my neck and my face and on my scalp! They go away after I sit and cool down for a while. Is THIS the hives/rash that low thyroid people face?

I'm waiting for my first new doctors appointment and must say I'm actually excited about taking control of my life again. I hope to get to know everyone here and be as supportive as you all are to each other. Thank you so much for being here!

Marie

Last edited by banjomama; 09-14-2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: update test results

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Newly and nearly diagnosed

Hi !! I am hypo. When I was very hypo, I never had a rash but it seems like my whole body was itching like crazy. Especially on the top of my head.

I know you can get hives and rashes from allergic reactions. That may not be your case.

Since my levels have gotten closer to normal(not quite there yet), the itchiness has subsided quite a bit. I know that when you are hypo and hyper your skin gets drier. When I had graves disease, my skin was dry too.

I spent a lot of money on skin lotions.

Take care of yourself
Betty

Closed Thread