It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #1

Margofran2 HB User
So Worried

I guess I am typing this a little late for advice. I see my second endocrinologist tomorrow. My TSH was 2.04 and T 3 & T 4 were normal but the radio-active idione scan came back with possible graves disease. I have all the symtoms and then some but no one will listen. My family doctor thinks I am manic because I asked so many questions that he sent me to my psychiatrist. My psychiatrist says I am a little high but not manic that he can see. I know to ask this new doctor about TSI and free T3 & free T4. I think she is going to be good. She is having me come in a half an hour early for a history. What a refreshment from the first one who left me waiting in the exam room for 35 minutes then spent 5 minutes with me and said there is nothing wrong with you thyroid. Here's hoping someone will will listen to me, or I may just break down and cry.

Last edited by Margofran2; 09-14-2004 at 06:30 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: So Worried

Hi Isn't that something. You feel sick but the doc sends you to a psych.
I am not very educated on thyroid hormones. I do know that women feel best when their tsh is closer to 1. That is what I have been reading here.

Do you have copies of your bloodtests results? If you do, you can post them and someone will interpret them for you. There are many people here that know how to do that.

Just type your results in along with the ranges.

Take care now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #3

Margofran2 HB User

I do have my levels:

T3 uptake 38.1 Normal 24.0 - 41.0
FTI 2.4 Normal 1.2 - 4.9
T4 6.3 Normal 4.0 - 12.0
T3 148 Normal 85 - 205
TPO ab<10 Normal 0 - 34
TSH 2.14 Normal 0.49 - 4.69

Margo

Old 09-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Just bumping you up Margo so everyone can see your post.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi Margo...
From the way your tests look, I would not suspect Graves'. Your numbers look to be hypothyroid, not hyperthyroid as would be typical with Graves' disease. You have tested negative for TPO antibodies, which are associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the leading cause of hypoT. That doesn't mean you cannot be hypo, though.

Don't know if you meant to say "TSI" or "TSH". TSH is the usual basic thyroid test; TSI antibodies are associated with Graves'. Since Graves' doesn't appear to be your problem, a TSI test wouldn't be indicated... but of course, TSH would. Definitely ask for free T4/T3, and a Tg antibodies test would be a good idea. Sometimes Tg ABs show up when TPOs don't.
Let us know what happens.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:59 AM   #6

Margofran2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Hi Margo...
From the way your tests look, I would not suspect Graves'. Your numbers look to be hypothyroid, not hyperthyroid as would be typical with Graves' disease. You have tested negative for TPO antibodies, which are associated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the leading cause of hypoT. That doesn't mean you cannot be hypo, though.

Don't know if you meant to say "TSI" or "TSH". TSH is the usual basic thyroid test; TSI antibodies are associated with Graves'. Since Graves' doesn't appear to be your problem, a TSI test wouldn't be indicated... but of course, TSH would. Definitely ask for free T4/T3, and a Tg antibodies test would be a good idea. Sometimes Tg ABs show up when TPOs don't.
Let us know what happens.
Midwest I copied and pasted a previous post where I gave some more information as you can see all my symptoms are hyper. I do take a seizure medicine Depokote which I heard can mess up your lab values. Oh and I did mean to say TSH. No one has ever done a TSI. I did have a history of hypo but quite taking the medicine 4 years ago because it was making me too hot and my TSH was ok afterwards.

I have a lot of symptoms of Grave's disease, but blood serum levels are normal. I had a radioactive idione uptake. The following is the impression: Findings consistent with hyperthyroidism. Findings would be highly suggestive of Graves' disease, given enlarged gland, diffusely increased uptake through both thyroid lobes as well as increased 24-hour radioiodine uptake of 45%. Recommend clinical and biochemical correlation. If clinically indicated, recommend radioiodine treatment for hyperthyroidism/Graves' disease.

Now my problem the endrocrinology says he does not think I have a thyroid problem. He had me wait in the exam room for 35 minutes then spent about 10 minutes with me. Five of those minutes outside the room looking at lab results. He asked to see my hands they were not shaking because I had taken my beta blocker 6 hours earlier. He looked at my medication and then sent me this letter:

Repeat throid test again show that your thyroid blood hormone levels are perfectly normal. The high uptake on the thyroid scan by itself does not prove that you have an over active thyroid. I do not think that your thyroid is overactive. You do have a fast heart rate but other problems can cause this.....

The following is a list of my symptoms before the beta blocker:

High Pulse--on 24 hr halter monitor ran 92 to 144
High blood pressure--one reading 292/176
Hard heart beat
Increased appetite
Weight loss 21 lb although pretty stable now since I am eating enough to kill
a horse.
Increased loose stools
Increased arthritis pain
Problems with TMJ
Feeling too warm
Night sweats
Hair loss seems better since beta blocker--How come?
Hands shake without beta blocker
2 to 3 hours sleep a night with Ambien 10Mg
Tired easy
anxiety attacks
vomiting
gag refluex
coughing
feel suffocating with head back
Allergies
sinsus problems
difficulty climbing stairs and descending stairs
have had a few headaches
back pain over my kidneys

That is most of my symptoms I may have missed a few.

I did not go to the Endrocrinologist's with a list because my doctor was sending his notes and we had been over it all. I went back to my family doctor and he upped my beta blocker and said see you in 6 weeks.

I could give you a sample menu but believe me it must be 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day.

Now for my lab values:

TSH -- 2.0 Normal 0.49 - 4.67
T3 Uptake 38.1 Normal - 24.0 - 41.0
FTI -- 2.4 Normal 1.2 - 4.9
T4 -- 6.3 Normal 4.0 - 12.0
T3 -- 148 Normal 85 - 205
Anti TPO Ab <10 Normal 0 - 34

I am on a HMO so I am limited to which doctor I can go to and I really do not feel I can afford to go it on my own. I have requested a second opinion so I hope I will be approved.

With my nerves the way they are all I need is this hassel.

My question is it possible I have Graves' disease with the normal serum levels?
I feel like a hypocrondriac. I just feel everyone thinks this is due to my manic-depressive illness. My family doctor said he is going to consult with my psychriatrist.

By the way I am 53 and female.

Please someone help me!

Margo

Old 09-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

By no means am I an expert but I just thought I would jump in with very little info!

I believe I read somewhere on the net that the uptake scan has to be more than 50-55% for it to be considered hyper- or graves.

I only know that b/c I had the uptake test done, in which I was diagnosed with Graves.

Maybe eventually you will be hyper? You just aren't yet, not enough to warrant any treatment. (in some docs eyes) I would not do the radioactive iodine to kill your thyroid. I would definitely wait until you have more answers and the exact cause.

Could a lot of that be menopause?

Good luck!
April

Closed Thread