It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #1

sick of it all HB User
Question need help with my test results

My doctor's office called to tell me my test results were normal, now I got them in the mail and the *TSH REFLEX* is out of range at 0.38. The reference range reads 0.50 - 6.00. My TOTAL T3 is in range at 1.2 and my FREE T4 is in range at 1.1. That is the only 3 things on the sheet, is this normal? And with my TSH being low, I would think he would what to do more testing, but nothing was said. 1 1/2 years ago my TSH was also low at .021 and nothing was done then. My mother's family has a long history of thyroid problems and I am having a lot of symptoms that sounds to me could be my thyroid. I have small fiber neuropathy, the doctors believe is caused by some autoimmune disorder. It has been 3 years of testing and nothing has been found at this point. My ana titer test reads positive speckled pattern at 1:160 and positive homogeneous pattern at 1:160. Can any one help me understand this? Can this be related? My doctor tells me things are ok. I also have fibromyalgia, also for the last 9 months my month has been burning all the time. My temp reading is normally low, like 96.5, I have hair loss, dry skin are just a few of the symptoms. Should I go to another doctor? I see my GP, and a neurologist. Do I need a different type of test? Please can any one help!

Last edited by sick of it all; 09-14-2004 at 09:40 PM.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:57 AM   #2
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Re: need help with my test results

I am treated by an endo for my graves disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of it all
My doctor's office called to tell me my test results were normal, now I got them in the mail and the *TSH REFLEX* is out of range at 0.38. The reference range reads 0.50 - 6.00. My TOTAL T3 is in range at 1.2 and my FREE T4 is in range at 1.1. That is the only 3 things on the sheet, is this normal? !
Can you post the actual ranges? Often having a result that is 'normal' doesn't really tell you much. Most people feel best when their Free Ts are in the upper 3rd of the range - where do yours fall ?

Is TSH Relfex the same as TSH? Is it is, then .38 is not really out of the accepted range, which should be .3 - 2.5 according to the AACE.

Quote:
My ana titer test reads positive speckled pattern at 1:160 and positive homogeneous pattern at 1:160. Can any one help me understand this?
ANA is a test for Antinuclear Antibodies and is often used to screen for things like Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, but it's most often used to test for Lupus. I know this because they did one on my mom who has RA. A positive result does not necessarily mean you have Lupus. The pattern refers to how the cell looks under a microscope. Common patterns include speckled, rim, homogeneous, centromere, and nucleolar and they reflect the type of antigens present and have a loose association with specific syndromes. Speckled is usually associated with a Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. Homogenous is seen in SLE (lupus), RA, drug induced lupus. However, a thyroid autoimmune disease may lead to a positive test. FWIW, 1:160 isn't considerend very high in most ranges, usually they cut off at 1:180 (1:140 is low, high).

Did they test you for Thyroid Antibodies?

Nat

Old 09-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Nat is correct about the ANA titer test being for Lupus primarily. You might want to look in on the lupus board and check out the list of criteria for diagnosing. You may find you have more of those symptoms than thyroid. The symptoms can be harsh even in the beginning of the disease.

I was Dxed with Lupus in mid june after years of blaming unexplained symptoms on thyroid disease. Perhaps you should call and ask your Dr. to explain the tests in detail and what they indicate.

May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50

Old 09-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #5

Iwantacure HB User

Can somebody die from Lupus or the life span is the same as normal person?

Old 09-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

There are several different kinds of lupus. One kind only seems to effect the skin causing a rash like discoloration, many times in the shape of coins.

There is another kind, SLE, that effects the internal organs causing inflamation of the pericardial sac, or the lining of the lungs, pluerisy, kidney infections, ect.

Lupus can also effect the body's ability to produce blood properly causing anemia. Sometimes Lupus antibodies are found in spinal fluid and this type effects the mind causing headaches, dizzyness, forgetfullness.

These can exist individually or together. It is my understanding that with treatment, the life expectancy of a lupus patient is the normal. Perhaps, if you have the time, you will want to go to the Lupus boards and see what the criteria is for diagnosis. You may also wish to look up the Lupus Foundation on the web. It has much information.

As I am newly dxed I am still learning much myself. Also, I am finding much of the information confusing so I am having to go over it 2 and 3 times to sort it all from other autoimmune diseases. Please look in on the Lupus boards or do a google search for youself. I think you will be much enlightened by it.

Good luck and May God Bless and Keep you
Patience 50

Closed Thread