It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
(female)

almondjoy HB User
Thyodine

Has anyone ever tried Thyodine from the health food store?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Thyodine

I have never tried that. Can you tell me what it is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Over the past 6 years I have tried Thyroidine, Thyroid Boost, and three other herbal and natural remedies for low thyroid. I gave them all a 6 month trial and I have to tell you that I felt worse on most of them and even the one that didn't make me feel worse didn't seem to help either.

Of course everyone reacts differently. Good luck to you.
May God Bless And Keep You
Patience 50

Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Thank you for your information patience. Now I know that I will never try that stuff.

Changing the subject if you don't mind? I tried this herb called black cohosh for menopause and all it did was give me headaches and made me tired.

I am a little leary about trying those natural products.

Betty

Old 09-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I tried the red clover one myself. The black cohash never helped me but the red clover one seemed to help a little bit. I was not willing to take HRTs because of a family history of breast and ovarian cancer. I and my mother are the only 2 women in a family on more than 30 women spanning 3 generations who have never had a cancer and I didn't want to push my luck with HRTs. I did however get some pretty nasty night sweats and mood swings on occasions so I tried several of the herbal things and that one gave me some relief. Of course now I realize that my symptoms may have been exacerbated by Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Life changes can be the pits sometimes. It's hard to separate symptoms and causes.

Good luck and May God Bless You
Patience 50

Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Boy I can understand when you have so many things wrong, you don't know where the symptoms are coming from.

I definitely stay away from those synthetic HRTs. My mom died of breast cancer. She also had skin cancer. That makes me shy away from too much sunshine.

The only thing wrong with me so for is my messed up thyroid. I have an appointment with another doc Friday and I am crossing my fingers for some freet4. This doc I have now is either stubbornheaded or just doesn't know about thyroid and won't admit it. I think he is a little weird. Sometimes he acts like he is on some other planet if ya know what I mean

I also have a sinus infection and think it's from this darn hypo stuff. I have read that people with thyroid problems get many sinus infections.

Well I could go jabbering on and on. There has to be a stopping point sometime.

Betty

Old 09-15-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

No problem Betty, I like to chatter too. It is very frustrating sometimes though to figure out what it causing what. Since I have Hashi's and Lupus and many of the symptoms are similar it is so difficult to figure out which is the trouble.

I also don't like to take drugs. I would prefer to take a natural supplement to fix a problem, for instance, my DO currently has me on super vitamin B complex to try to fix a chronic anemia rather than putting me on antimaleria drugs which is standard for lupus related anemia. She is doing this because she is concerned that I will have a worse reaction to the drugs than I am having with the lupus, which appears to be in a mild stage right now.

Also there are other autoimmune things at work here too and it gets very confusing trying to keep them straight and what treatment is for what. At this moment the only thing I am sure of is that of the many herbal remedies I have tried, very few have worked. I do still take chicken soup if I ever catch a cold or the flue and smooth move tea ( have no idea if that is the right name or not) when I have problems with constipation. I understand it is laced with annise which is supposed to be a natural laxative. It works well for me.

And yes, chronic sinus is an ongoing problem with many thyroid and lupus sufferers. Wish someone could explain why that is.

I guess I will have to continue to try to do my best and give God the rest and be comforted that he will do what's best. I do so wish I had more answers though. I don't need all of them, just a few more.

Have a good day. May God Bless and Keep You
Bonnie

Old 09-16-2004, 04:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bonnie,

I do believe in taking the vitamins and minerals. They say taking vitamins will make you live longer. I also believe that you could probably get too much if you are not careful.

Betty

Old 09-16-2004, 05:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi Betty,

I was taking a multivitamin, one of the well known ones, but except for constipating me it didn't seem to have much effect on the anemia. Hence, the super Bs. It seems to be helping. Last blood test was very good.

On the natural side, I have also started using Honey when I have tea. Have read several articles that Honey Bees are able to filter inpurities through some kind of enzyme they excrete and that this enzyme is in the honey and can help balance the vitamins and minerals in the human body. But one needs to use honey made from flower pollen, not the sugar mixture some bee keepers use. I don't know if it will help or not but it won't hurt. I don't drink all that much tea except in the winter anyway.

Good luck with your Dr. appt. on Friday. I don't know where you are but here in PA. we are going to have Ivan rains from now till Monday at least. Flood warnings are already up telling us to stock up on batteries, water, like that. They say Ivan is spawning all sorts of nasty weather. If you also live in Ivan's path be careful Friday.

May God Bless and Keep You.
Bonnie

Old 09-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience 50
Hi Betty,

I was taking a multivitamin, one of the well known ones, but except for constipating me it didn't seem to have much effect on the anemia. Hence, the super Bs. It seems to be helping. Last blood test was very good.

On the natural side, I have also started using Honey when I have tea. Have read several articles that Honey Bees are able to filter inpurities through some kind of enzyme they excrete and that this enzyme is in the honey and can help balance the vitamins and minerals in the human body. But one needs to use honey made from flower pollen, not the sugar mixture some bee keepers use. I don't know if it will help or not but it won't hurt. I don't drink all that much tea except in the winter anyway.

Good luck with your Dr. appt. on Friday. I don't know where you are but here in PA. we are going to have Ivan rains from now till Monday at least. Flood warnings are already up telling us to stock up on batteries, water, like that. They say Ivan is spawning all sorts of nasty weather. If you also live in Ivan's path be careful Friday.

May God Bless and Keep You.
Bonnie
Hi Bonnie,
I am very much a coffee drinker. Don't care for pop. Do drink tea occasionally. Wish I could have some honey but I am allergic to it. I bet it's good for you.

Yes I have been watching the movement of Ivan. Do you have a boat and a paddle. You might need it after all those rains there in PA. I live in Missouri down in the Ozarks Country. This is right in Tornado Alley they call it. I wish we had a basement to hide in sometimes. The three of us just get under the stairway closet and grit our teeth We don't get too many warnings.

I was raised in central Missouri where there are many more hills and they didn't have such gruesome weather. The forecasters say that the weather will get worse as the years go by. I will have to see that before I believe it.

You live in a very pretty state. I went through there a few times when my ex was a truckdriver. Very pretty. Where I live it is mostly flat and farmland.

Yeah I hope my appointment goes well too. I hope they will give some Armour because I have heard that it is good. I have some depression and it should help with that hopefully. Was taking lexapro but darn I hate getting hooked on meds. Maybe I need it to get me through this hump though.

You take care and get your goggles,boat, and paddle ready

Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Just got back from the store. Stocked up on batteries, candles, things that don't need cooked to eat just in case. We have had a real soggy summer and everyone here is fussing about it. However, just 2 year ago we were in our 4th year of drought and no one liked that either. Guess we're too fickle.

I would have liked to try Armour too because I've heard it is a bit easier to lose weight with that but I have developed a hypertensive heart and Dr. won't give it. Midwest lives out in your part of the country and I believe she is on Armour so perhaps it is prescribed more out there. Most Dr.s back here won't even consider it.

Been to the Ozarks twice last year and just loved it. You know the town I'm sure, the one with all the shows. We wore ourselves out having a good time.

Good luck. God Bless
Bonnie

Old 09-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe you are talking about Branson. Haven't been there in years.

Yeah! I knew that Midwest lived in Missouri from the old healthboards I read. The posts back then had the names of the states where people live.

Well I am glad you are all stocked up and ready for the big rains. Is it raining there yet.?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I'm not too worried about it. If it does get to looking like it's going to pound us hard I will fill the bathtub so we can scoop buckets of water to flush the toilet. We are a little bit in the country so we have our own well and septic. As a result, when the power goes out the water pump doesn't work so if you don't have water on hand you have a problem.

The freezer and fridge are full so they will keep for several days. Have enough milk, cereal, bread, and lunch meat for no cook meals and I am making a bunch of hard boiled eggs to pickle and that makes great meals too. Put them with pickled beets and you have your veggie. It's a bit like camping in your own house. The only thing I really miss is my coffee, yea just like U, in the mornings. I don't mind cold water the rest of the day. In the winter I find it hard to drink cold water though so I drink more tea.

I'm not sure if you heard about the tornado that whipped through here 8 weeks ago but that was just a little bit from us. It was really frightening to look down the road when it was over and see the whole developement gone.

The silver lining to events like this is we all get out and say hello to all the neighbors. We are a very private bunch of old germans here so we tend to stick to ourselves and not be as social as we should.

My little guy is coming for the afternoon. Time to break out the hot wheels. He only stays a couple of hours so he is fun without wearing me out. His Mom only gets off work at 4PM and DAD has to leave for work at 2PM so I get to be silly with TJ for a couple of hours 3 days a week. TJ just turned 2 and he finds almost everything funny. The terrible twos don't seem to apply to him and I'm just as happy about it. TJ is actually the son of one of my daughter's friends. I think it's funny how my kids friends still come around even though they have been out of school for 10 years or more. I enjoy them too.

Here he comes, need to go for a while.
Bonnie

Old 09-16-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ahhh!! You get to babysit huh? I do that once in a while. That is whenever I feel up to it. Kids are so sweet but I just can't handle them for too long.

I had to lay down for awhile. Everyday I have a headache. I guess from the sinus infection.

I was looking at the weather and looks like you will be getting thunderstorms.
We had a little rain here lastnight. I had to shut off the AC since it has cooled off. Just love the fresh air.

So your all a bunch of old germans huh? Well heck there is nothing wrong with that. I am not a real sociable person when I am ill. I don't think anyone is.

You said that you have hashis' and lupus. Can you tell me what kind of test they do to find hashis? Since I am going to the doc tommorrow I thought I might get all the works on bloodtests. My insurance runs out Monday so may as well get it all done.

I have heard that hashis is hypo and hyper but I really don't understand it.

God bless

Old 09-16-2004, 01:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I can't claim to understand all of it either but it is my understanding that the autoimmune disease that causer Hyer T is called Graves disease. It is gets too overactive and causes a racing heart or too much weight loss they will kill the thyroid. When you go hypo T from it then they medicate. I have often wished they would do that with mine. Just kill it and put me on full replacement dose but that's not the way they do things.

Hashi's, as I understand it, is always Hypo T. Not enough thyroxine to do the job. I was told initially that my thyroid was slowing because of middle age. It was only in June, when my new Dr. adjusted my synthroid and got T3 and T4s up in the normal range that other tests were done. I still had much pain and swelling in my joints and there was a funny flat rash on my arms, legs and neck that could not be explained. I have had these for many years and former Dr.s just said if they don't itch or hurt, they weren't anything to worry about. New Dr. felt deeper looking was called for so she ordered a full metabolic panel and autoimmune antibody tests.

They took many vials of blood from me. There are 3 pages of test results here but the ones she has circled and notations made are:

Thyroiglobulin AB and Anti TPO. The anti TPO test is 479 Normal is <35 She has this circled with notation of( hashimoto's-increase meds) behind it so I assume the TPO test is the one needed.

The other one that came back positive was the ANA test. It also showed a homogeneous pattern. When I looked it up the internet said that was SLE (Systemic Lupus Erethromatosis)

The rheumatoid factor was also positive. Everything else came back normal or low normal so she only made a notation on the low ones to redo in 6 months.

I don't know if your Dr. will run just thyroid antibody tests but with what you are telling me about your fatigue I wonder if a full antibody panel might be done. They just pull 15 or 16 vials of blood instead of just 1 but it's still only 1 stick of the arm. I felt so much better knowing exactly what I was dealing with.

I keep our one granddaughter on Mondays all day. She is 3. And then I keep TJ tuesday thru Thursday from 2 to 4:30 or 5. Not too long ago I couldn't have even dreamt of trying. I was exhausted and in pain all of the time. I don't feel 30 anymore, but I don't feel 90 either so I will keep at it for now. I think I will only have TJ till November. Knowing it is short term makes it easier to do too.

Please let me know how you make out tomorrow and if your Dr. will run a TPO or full antibody panel.

God Bless Bonnie

Closed Thread