It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Thyroid Scans Results

Hello again. I had a thyroid sonogram and a thyroid uptake test done
and they both came back normal.

My antibody test was 52 with 0-34 being normal. My other blood tests
were in the normal range and posted previously (TSH was 2.884 with
normal range 0.350-5.500). I have multiple hypothyroid symptoms and
have had for a very long time.

Can people who have normal scans and sonograms be thyroid deficient?
I believe in my other post people responded that the antibody result
together with my symptoms should merit treatment. My concern is that
when my doctor gets the results tomorrow, she will not treat.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Thyroid Scans Results

With antibodies, a TSH of 2.8 and symptoms you should be treated, no way around it.

I'd fire the doc if she wont and find one that will. Look at the possibility of seeing a nautropath or osteopath; they have a better track record of treating the symptoms and not just the lab results.

Did they test your FT3 and FT4? If not these are two tests you want done.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I wouldn't worry too much about the negative scan and ultrasound. Actually, I would be happy. Sure, it would be nice for something to show up that would incontrovertably prove to the doctors that you aren't crazy, but just be glad that it didn't come back with a horribly suspicious nodule that would require biopsy or surgery. Just because there isn't a nodule doesn't mean it's working properly, it just means that you can rule out some stuff.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your responses.

My blood results are as follows:

TSH 2.884 (0.350-5.500 normal)
T4 9.4 (1.5-12.0 normal)
T3 Uptake 30 (24-39 normal)
Free T 2.8 (1.2-4.9 normal)

Thyroid Antiobodies: Positve at 52 (0-34 normal)

Hopefully I will find out today or tomorrow if the doctor will treat me. I really hope so because I believe this is responsible for many of my symptoms.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
TSH 2.884 (0.350-5.500 normal)
Free T 2.8 (1.2-4.9 normal)
Thyroid Antiobodies: Positve at 52 (0-34 normal)
These tests indicate that you are hypoT. Your FT4 is low, most people feel best when their FTs are in the upper 3rd of the range, and the others, well, the TSH is high and you are positive for antibodies.

Best of luck today (or tomorrow!).
Nat

Old 09-16-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your TSH is considered to be high by the latest AACE standard, and your free T4 is low-"normal". The lowish FT4 is no doubt contributing to your symptoms. Most people need their free hormones to be in the upper third of the normal range before they feel well. Do your best to also have a free T3 test performed; if it's also low, that will give you more ammunition for treatment.
With FT4 that low, TSH that high, antibodies, and symptoms, an informed doctor would give you a trial of thyroid hormone. If yours won't, please seriously consider finding one who will.

Old 09-18-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for your responses and wonderful advice. It is always good to speak with people who have gone down this road.

I have not heard back yet from the doctor but hope to soon. I pray that I can get treated so I don't have to go through this over and over again with other doctors. It seems that getting thyroid disorders diagnosed is as difficult as getting Lyme disease diagnosed. Definitely, an exhausting process.

Last edited by ticker; 09-18-2004 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:33 AM   #8

Brown-eyes/66 HB User

Question for all of you. When you have your thyroid test done is it a fasting test? I am asking because I have been on 120mg of Armour Thyroid for a couple years. My yearly test came up and they drew blood called me 2 days later and said my THS was low and they need to increase my dosage to 150mg. Just curious about what anyone can tell me. I don't hear of alot of people on Armour Thyroid.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #9

dogtired HB User

Can people who have normal scans and sonograms be thyroid deficient?

Yes they can and some can have positive scans with no abnormal labs.
I hope that your doc will treat you...good luck.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown-eyes/66
... When you have your thyroid test done is it a fasting test? I am asking because I have been on 120mg of Armour Thyroid for a couple years. My yearly test came up and they drew blood called me 2 days later and said my THS was low and they need to increase my dosage to 150mg.
I take Armour. In general, the TSH is irrelevent to dosage, because it often becomes suppressed with Armour treatment... and that's OK. It's far better to use free T4 and free T3 as guidelines; these thyroid hormones optimally should be in the upper part of their lab ranges, neither too high nor too low.
But if your doctor does go by TSH, your question then is confusing. Dosage is increased if TSH is high, not low. Do you have your lab results that we can look at? The more important question is - Did you feel well at 120 mg?

Edited to add ... The test doesn't have to be done fasting, but it's best not to take your Armour before the blood draw... Wait till after. The results for the free hormones can look artifically high if the med is taken within 6-8 hours before the draw.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-19-2004 at 09:24 AM.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #11

Brown-eyes/66 HB User

Well I am probably the one that is confused. They read me the results over the phone so I could have gotten which T- test it was confused. I will see if I can get some better information on it.

Closed Thread