It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

JadenStacy HB User
Question Hello--I have a question.

I recently had my TSH done. It was 0.90 I was shocked because I last had one done about may or june of this year and it was 3.90 or something like that. It was high 3's I know that much for sure.
I have been seeing a chiropractor and taking a B-complex and L-tyrosine at night before bed and in the A.M. I have been taking 2 grains of Armour thyroid. I think that a combination of working out, chiropractic care and the combination of B-Complex and L-Tyrosine has helped in abundance to lower my TSH.
However, I am still not having a regular period each month which is becoming so annoying! I have lately been having one every 40 - 50 days. I used to have them every 30 days before I became pregnant (before I had a thyroid problem). My question is...Do you think 0.90 is possibly too low of a TSH and could be causing the still screwed up periods or do you think its ok and the period problem most likely stems from another problem I am having? We are wanting to have another baby and it so annoying that I am not having a normal cycle.
I am overweight and I know that this can also cause screwed up periods...thankfully though I have been losing weight! I lost 20lbs in the last month.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. Just wanted to add that I have had screwed up periods for the last year or so...since having thyroid problems so this isnt a knew issue, I guess I just assumed that when my thyroid levels became normal I would too. The doc didnt check my T4 or T3. he said unless the TSH levels were abnormal there wasnt a reason too.

Last edited by JadenStacy; 09-15-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #2

miss_yates HB User
Re: Hello--I have a question.

I am new to this whole thyriod thing, and I don't think I can answer your question But, I would just like to say hello, because I am new on this board, and I just found out I am hypothyroid, and I have been TTC for 9 months with no success , (thanks to my thyroid and messed up periods). It is also nice to hear that you are losing weight. I haven't started any meds yet, but I am eager to since I gained 30 pounds in 6 months.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 AM   #3

diatron HB User

I can only offer a little insight. From what I have read, when you take Armour your TSH will drop precipitously. That's OK. The T3 component that your cells need is supplied in Armour and the feedback loop to the pituitary (which produces TSH) tells it that everything is fine and your thyroid doesn't need to work as hard any more. Make sure that you are getting your Free T3 and Free T4 levels checked periodically while you are on the Armour.

I'm past menopause, so can't help you with the irregular periods. Someone with that knowledge should be around soon to help answer your questions.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadenStacy
I recently had my TSH done. It was 0.90 I was shocked because I last had one done about may or june of this year and it was 3.90 or something like that. It was high 3's I know that much for sure.

.Do you think 0.90 is possibly too low of a TSH and could be causing the still screwed up periods or do you think its ok and the period problem most likely stems from another problem I am having?

The doc didnt check my T4 or T3. he said unless the TSH levels were abnormal there wasnt a reason too.
JadenStacy, your TSH is at a number where most women feel best - but that means nothing because you're not 'most women'. Your doctor is wrong about the TSH being the test to monitor. Once treatment begins TSH levels become meaningless as far as thyroid function is concerned; TSH is a measure of pituitary hormone. Your want your Free T3 and Free T4 tested.

It's possible that your Free Ts are still too low and you're not going to see any relief until they are fixed. Often people end up with TSH levels that are almost completely supressed before they get the Free Ts up and feel better. He really should be checking these, especially if you're on Armour - you want to monitor that FT3.

Nat

Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

What symptoms do you have?

How overweight are you? (if you don't mind answering )
Do you have any acne? or more pimples than usual?
excess hair growth- in places like your face? or chest?

April

Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

April, good questions - are you thinking PCOS?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Yep!!

It seems like it goes together sometimes... I was told I have it. I had 2 beautiful pearl necklaces around my ovaries!

I was lucky though b/c I didn't develop these problems til after I was done having kids.
However the dreaded insulin problems associated with it. Which I am certain I will have some problem eventually. I had gestational diabetes for which I had to take insulin shots day and night!! Oh well. I think my endocrine system hates me!!

April

Old 09-17-2004, 04:50 AM   #8

Felix73 HB User

Great minds think alike! I was thinking about PCOS too.

I have it as well as hypo and I know there is some link between the two. Unless you get an ultrasound done, it often goes undiagnosed until someone tries to conceive and fails.

Worth getting a scan done to rule it out.

Felix x

Old 09-17-2004, 05:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Have either of you ever heard of Diana Schwarzbein? She's an endo out in california who created a diet plan designed to help people (women in particluar) suffering from hormonal imbalances, in particular insulin resistance. Her first book (Schwarzbein Principle) was big a few years ago, some very good information and advice, but Dr. Diana was too much of a purist for me - she did have some amazing recipes, though

Her second book (the Schwarzbein Principle II) focuses more on the balance needed between all the major hormones (adrenalin, cortisol, insulin, estrogen, etc) before you become healthy and can lose weight. I know a lot of people with either PCOS or Syndrom X who swear by the results they get using her methods. If nothing else it would be a good read

Nat

Old 09-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
(female)

JadenStacy HB User

I have always been athletic all my life. Matter of fact I practically live at the gym and my diet is low in fats. My overall cholesterol is 120. However I have never been able to lose enough weight or fat to be at a healthy level. I am approx. 130 pounds over where I would like to be.
Yes I have noticed that I have hair in places that a woman shouldn't. Or at least no woman wants to admit they have. I have a couple places on my face that are more pimple prone, but I don't know if thats due to hair removal on my face or not.
I am seeing my Gyno Monday, I will bring all this up! thanks for the info

Last edited by JadenStacy; 09-17-2004 at 10:45 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

JadenStacy HB User

is PCOS cureable or treatable? This will suck if I can never have anymore kids.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Smile Re: Hello--I have a question.

Symptoms of PCOS:
Amenorrhea (no menstrual period), infrequent menses, and/or oligomenorrhea (irregular bleeding
Oligo or anovulation (infrequent or absent ovulation)
Chronic pelvic pain
Obesity or weight gain
Hirsutism (excess hair
Acne/Oily Skin or dandruff
skin tags
There aren't all the symptoms but maybe a few you may notice on your own, as you can see a lot of them mix with thyroid symptoms!

Overweight women are higher risk of getting PCOS, but slim women do too. It's associated with insulin resistance. - Not always but often. If you lose weight it may help, but its not a sure thing.

There is no cure for it. But it can be managed. There have been a great amount of women who were able to get pregnant even though they had PCOS. Usually it's done with medications. I dont know too much about it b/c I'm not trying to have kids.

So there is no cure. But you can still get pregnant. It may just be a little more work.

Try to wait and talk with your doc though. I know it's hard to wonder what is going on, but it won't do any good to get yourself worked up on something you may not have! If you do you know there is support for you out there on the net.
I have read a bunch of posts on the net about hypo people with PCOS. Seems pretty common.
The ultrasound made it look like I have PCOS but my doc said to wait and see what happens with my thyroid. I am not too overweight only about 20lbs. I have pimples though. My skin was usually crystal clear but not anymore. I mostly get them in certain areas, not all over. But way more than I ever did before. I get a little crampy sometimes around when I would have gotten my period..my back will hurt for a day or 2 and my abdomen area, but nothing comes. I actually don't mind it not coming, but thats not whats best for my body! all of this started after the birth of my son...I'm a mess now! Never had these problems before.
Good luck and keep us posted!

April

Closed Thread