It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #1

miss_yates HB User
New Here....My Story

My name is Victoria Yates,and I am twenty years old. I had always been a very happy, energetic person up until about a year and a half ago. I started noticing that I was tired all the time, and I would get real angry, real quick for no reason, and then cry because I didn't understand why I was acting that way. I also started getting where I couldn't hardly remember normal stuff, but the biggest thing was the fatigue. I had just been proposed to about that time by my high school sweetheart of 5 years, we are both christians, and we were both virgins. Even though we were virgins, we still had the same strong sexual feelings that everyone else has. However, about 2 or 3 months before we got married I started noticing that I really wasn't having those same feelings anymore, but I blamed it on the birth control I had started taking in advance. However, on our wedding night, I still had no sex drive, and that was hard for me and my new husband to understand. I still looked at him and thought, he's sexy, and I want to have sex, but my body was not cooperating. Well, as months went by, things got bad to worse. I started having irregular periods, I bit his head off all the time and then cried because I felt bad, muscle aches -especially in the legs- and gained 30 pounds in 6 months. Inside, I knew something just wasn't right, but I couldn't accept that anything could be wrong with me b'cuz I was only 19, so I pretty much ignored it. Well, we decided to start TTC our first baby in December of 2003, so I got off the birth control, and we started trying (still with no sex drive), but every month it was negative, after negative, after negative. I just got more and more sad about things, and the fatigue had began hitting me hard. Suspicious that I was anemic or something, I went to a local clinic to see the doctor and get some blood testing. I was told everything looked magnificant, but I was diagnosed by him as depressed. That struck a nerve, because I was really a happy person, plus, I thought the doctor was kinda kooky anyway Well, last month we still hadn't conceived, so I made an appt. with my new gynecologist for an exam and stuff. The minute I started telling her the things I am telling you, she immediately sent me for a thyroid blood test. Four days later, she called me and said normal levels were somewhere between .3 and 5.5, and I was up to 44. She said I was hypothyroid. I almost hit the floor. She told me she wanted me to be tested one more time, so that is what I did today, and I will keep ya'll notified on what happens. Until then, I just wanted to say what a relief it is to hear you ladies stories, and talk to someone who understands. Thank You.
Oh, and I have a couple of questions. When you are hypothyroid, are you always sensitive to cold? Because although I have all the symptoms, I get real hot, real easy. Kinda like hot flashes. I am rarely cold, in fact, winter is my favorite time of year. Also, would any of you know if once I am on the thyroid meds, how long it could take me to get pregnant???

Victoria Yates

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
(female)

JadenStacy HB User
Re: New Here....My Story

Wow, reading your story reminding me of mine! I became hypothyroid after the birth of my son in december 2001. I have been through alot since then! It has been one battle to try and regulate myself. I have been to 4 different doctors because I felt that they weren't treating me with the right care or being understanding to my concerns.
Anyways, after the birth of my son, I thought all my symptoms were due to having him and my c-section. I was soooo cold all the time...and my skin was so very dry it was cracking and hurting, my hair was falling out, and I was so moody and angry which made me cry because like you I couldnt understand where this was coming from. I wanted to chew my husbands head off everytime I saw him and for no really good reasons. I was beginning to hate life.
Now I am finally starting to get somewhere...only my periods are not normal. We want to have another child so now I am on a mission to fix my period problem and see how fertile I am...if I am at all.
You will do great once you get help and the right medication! Let me know how everything goes!

Old 09-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Welcome to the board, Victoria. I'm glad you have found a little comfort in the rest of our stories. You're very lucky to have such a knowledgeable GYN, but I want you to know that not every doctor knows how to treat thyroid. If any of them would tell you it's a simple fix, they don't know enough to treat you. (It occasionally is simple, but more often it takes a lot of trial and error before the right medicine and the right dose is achieved.)

When your thyroid hormones are at their best levels for you, your fertility and sex drive problems will very likely improve.
As for your question about coldness, not every hypoT person will have exactly the same symptoms. You see, the hypo messes with the body's ability to regulate its temperature in the brain's hypothalamus; whether you feel hot or cold depends on the exact way the lack of thyroid hormone affects your hypothalamus. To put it more plainly, I'll say it again... not every person has exactly the same symptoms or the same number of them.

Please stay in touch. Definitely let us know how the second test turns out. We'll all try to help you find the treatment that will get you healthy again.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroid disease two years ago. Before I was put on meds, I had hot flashes like crazy.
There are symptoms for hypo and symptoms for hyper, but really anyone who's either can have any symptom, if that makes sense.
Even those with "normal" thyroid levels can still have symptoms of a thyroid problem. I was told for years that I didn't have a problem because my blood tests were "normal". All the while my thyroid was growing larger and larger. After going to my regular doc, who sent me to an ENT that found a nodule, and then going to my Endo who sent me for a needle biopsy, I was diagnosed. Ended up having to have the whole thyroid removed because medication did not help to shrink it. After removal I got rid of pretty much all of my symptoms. Go figure.
So, I guess the moral of the story is, many symptoms can be thyroid related, even if the doctors don't thinks so.
Good Luck to you
Nodi

Old 09-16-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
(female)

raleigh86 HB User

NodiGoiterGirl:

Your post is reassuring to me. My April blood work was normal, even though my doctor had suspicions that something was up. This led us down the wrong path for 6 months. She found my thyroid enlarged on my last visit and sent me for ultrasound where I have multiple nodules, one being large. I had my first endo visit and she did more blood work, but I don't have results yet. I go to the hospital next week for biopsy with ultrasound. I told the endo had bad I felt and am feeling worse each day. She made the comment, if my lab work is normal, my symptoms might not be from thyroid. I was crushed, because I don't believe that for 1 minute. I'm almost praying the lab work shows something, as I cannot go on too many more days, weeks, and months feeling this way. I have pressure on the side of my head and face where the larger nodule is. My head is pulsating as is the rest of my body. I am also very lightedheaded. Last night I thought I was having a stroke. I am so discouraged...After the removal of your thyroid, how did you feel and what might I expect if I have surgery?

Closed Thread