It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #1

miss_yates HB User
Do thyroid meds work????

I have been reading the stories on here for about 30 minutes, and most of the stories I read haven't been giving me much hope. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 2 weeks ago, but I haven't started my meds yet. From what I read on here it seems like the meds don't work. Has anyone had luck on the meds?????????

Old 09-16-2004, 05:28 AM   #2

diatron HB User
Re: Do thyroid meds work????

Thyroid meds definitely work!

What you are seeing here is a consequence of how long it takes to get them at the right level for you. It can take a year or more. I've been at it since April and am getting close to optimum doses.

Also remember, except for the old timers (and a big Thank You to them), most people posting on this board are newly diagnosed or are having trouble getting their medicines adjusted. Those with appropriate medications are off living their lives to the fullest. When I reach that stage of feeling great with lots of energy, you won't see me posting here either. I have so many things I want to do with my life, and most of them do not involve sitting inside staring at a computer screen.

Good luck with your journey to thyroid health, I hope it is a short one for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, they do work.
You have to remember that most of the people who post here are newly diagnosed and not at the right dose yet; or they're long-ago diagnosed and under the care of doctors who don't know much about how to treat with the right brand or dose.
Don't be discouraged by reading their stories... Take hope from those still here who are doing well...(I'm one of those ).

Old 09-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_yates
I have been reading the stories on here for about 30 minutes, and most of the stories I read haven't been giving me much hope. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 2 weeks ago, but I haven't started my meds yet. From what I read on here it seems like the meds don't work. Has anyone had luck on the meds?????????
YES they work, and I am living proof. I am one of those who has returned to great health and has a full lfe, so I don't get a chance to post as often anymore. I was diagnosed at 30 years old and it took me two years to get most of my health back and another 6 months to finally stabilize at a dose combination that truly keeps me at my peak. I am healthier and more energetic now at 34 years old than I have been since I was in my early teens.

Like others have pointed out, what you see here on the boards is NOT an accurate representation of the general hypothyroid population. Most people here are here because they are having problems or are seeking answers.

The best advice I cna give you is be patient and realize that healing takes time. While you are being patient, study what you can and know that you are among good company here. There are many people who have been wehre you are and can help you understand what to expect and how to deal with it.

Since Healing takes time, and you may not notice that you are feeling better day by day, a good idea is to keep a symptoms journal. Once a week, or even once a month, make it a priority to write down your recent symptoms whether you think they are related to hypothyroidism or not (many things that seem unrelated are still affected, despite what many doctors may believe). Every few months go back and look at the symptoms from previous months and you'll start noticing that over time, the list will get shorter, and you are indeed feeling better than before you started.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread