It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 07:11 AM   #1

banjomama HB User
"Women's problem" - (maybe too much info?)

Before I start, I hope I don't offend anyone with any details. I'm just really reaching out here for help.

I had a D&C on monday for a very long monthly flow. It was going on for a good 6 weeks before then. I have pcos so sometimes the cycle goes wild, but this time it couldn't be stopped without the d&c. SO..I had that done. I know today is thursday and I should be feeling better, and in a way I am as far as the monthly goes. It's nearly gone, so that's all good.

But my thyroid is wonky, I found out, and I have to wait until the 30th to see the new doctor who will handle it, so here I sit with a TSH of 4.81.

I worked yesterday. It's a sit down job, typing all day, and I figured that would be ok to do, you know? Yesterday around 6pm my arms and legs felt so weak I couldn't believe it. This morning my arms literally HURT.

So...sure, I'm anemic and sure I'm recovering from a D&C,....but these aches are new. I've read that the thyroid problem could cause muscle pains, ...and WOW..do I have muscle pains! I HURT everywhere!

What do YOU do for muscle pains? Are all of you just taking ibuprofin or anything?

Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: "Women's problem" - (maybe too much info?)

Before I had my thryoid removed I had horrible muscle aches and charlie horses. I took Ibuprofen for the aches and it helped to a certain extent. Eating bananas is supposed to help if you get cramps. I would start off with tylenol and see how that works for you. Try to avoid Ibuprofen for extended periods of time if possible as it can cause stomach problems. I may have an ulcer due to ibuprofen use. It could also be Crohn's disease too but that is another story. Good luck on your journey.

Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomama
What do YOU do for muscle pains? Are all of you just taking ibuprofin or anything?
don't worry about TMI, these are healthboars, right?

Many hypo's suffer from these pains and find that taking a calcium / magnesium supplement really helps. The two minerals help your muscles relax. It's best to take them together as well - calcium can be constipating and mangesium, well, it has the opposite effect, if you know what I mean.

Look for a brand that has both minerals together in a ratio of 2:1 (twice as much cal as magnesium). Try to get one that is made from a source that is either a citrate or a malate (calcium carbonate can be hard on the tummy). It's best to take the dose over the course of the day as taking too much will only be wasted. 1000-1500 mg of calcium and 400-600mg of magnesium is the typical dose for women.

I used to suffer from awful charlie horses and muscle pain from working out; the magnesium really made a difference for me. It can also help if you're suffering from constipation, which Hypos often do.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #4

banjomama HB User

OMG thank you SO much. I felt kind of goofy with all the information, but figured who knows, maybe someone else out here can relate.

Thanks!!

Closed Thread