It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
(male)

sladedog HB User
Finally!!!

I have finally, after 6 years, 4 endos, 6 g.ps, 4 ents, a d.o, an allergist, and two internists gotten to the bottom of my problem. Most of my complaints are similar to typical hypos- low energy, brain fog, eye problems- too many to list. After about 5 years I was able to get the hypo/hashi dx and was started on .075 Synth- after 10 weeks I had zero improvement- if anything I felt worse- was switched to Armour- still no improvement. At this time my numbrs had moved into "pretty good" range and my endo said that if I wasn't feeling any better "it isn't your thyroid" and "maybe you should see a therapist". Instead of giving up I kept on pressing- buying every book I could, spending time here on the boards, researching like a madman on-line- anything I could do to educate myself. My research kept slamming back into thyroid and ADRENAL. I pressed to get my adrenal tested only to be told that it was too rare and that they could tell if I had an adrenal issue simply by looking at me. I pressed on and had a saliva adrenal test done- knowing it would come back abnormal. It did- came back as zone 7- adrenal failure. Armed with this I went back to the docs and STILL couldn't get any help- they all told me that the saliva test was unreliable. Sooo- I ended up at a D.O who prescribed homeopathy- he believed that I had a thyroid and adrenal issue and that the homeopathy would help. Then came the migraines- 9 in 13 days- uncontrollable. Went back to the dr. and he prescribed a trycyclic a.d to help prevent the migraines- I said "wouldn't you agree that the migraines are just a symptom of the real problem- like possibly my thyroid or adrenal"- he said he agreed but since the endo upstairs at the same clinic had felt that I didn't have an adrenal issue he had to agree with her- flat out told me it was politics (at least he was honest). I went back to the books- especially one called "Thyroid Power"- I kept getting called back to that book as in my opinion it was the most up to date and best written of all the ones I've read. After debating it for a week I finally broke down and called the author of the book- he practices about 2 1/2 hours from where I live. I got right in!!! I won't go into all of the details but it was one of the best days of my life- he was an incredible guy- so intelligent, so caring. He was appalled at my story- he even went as far as to apologize on behalf of the other doctors I've seen. Clearly I have hashimotos- clearly I have adrenal insufficiency- most likely autoimmune adrenal. Without treating my adrenals first thyroid meds would not help at all. I could go on for days and days about my experiences with other docs as well as my experience with this dr.- bottom liine is that I just want to offer up some encouragement to anyone battling the system right now- don't give up... press on and demand answers. If you can't get your current doc to listen, or he or she clearly doesn't understand what's going on with your body, move on- there is someone out there who can help you. Not that I'm an expert now, but I have surely been thru many hoops, and if any of my experiences can help I would be happy to answer any questions that I can- I feel like I must have gone thru all of this for a reason- maybe the reason is so that I can help others in the same boat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Finally!!!

WOW!! I enjoyed reading your post so much. It almost made me break down and cry because you had six years of misery.

I am so happy that you found out what was wrong. I wish the Author lived close to me.

So what are you going to do next?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: Finally!!!

sladedog...Good for you!! I'm so glad you FINALLY were able to get the answers you were needing. Your story is a great lesson for each of us in trusting our instincts regarding our bodies and the importance of advocating for ourselves through research and persistence.

I'm newly diagnosed as hypo and am thankful that my new doctor realized I had an adrenal problem based merely upon my symptoms and history. He has held off prescribing me Armour while we work on strengthening my adrenals. At first I felt very discouraged that I couldn't just start the Armour and start feeling better, but he made it clear that treating my thryoid before my adrenals are ready would most likely make things worse.

He also just sent me my saliva kit for testing and I'll be doing it next week...so we'll soon have an "official" picture of where my adrenals are and what we need to do next.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Victoria

Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User

Lady50...I believe that the author (Dr. Shames) does telephone consultations -- it might be worth checking into, just in case! There's also another doctor in Florida who is very good and knowledgeable and also does telephone appointments. Let me know if you'd like his name and number!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi,

I would love if you have the name of the doctor in FL. I have been trying find a Dr. in the South Florida area. Could you reply back to me?

Thanks Nimbeth
[ removed ]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
(male)

sladedog HB User

if at all possible contact Dr. Shames- I just saw him yesterday and right now I feel like I would throw myself in front of a moving car for him!!! His approach is to start me on tiny dose of Cortef (hydrocortisone) ramping up very slowly for a couple of weeks- then depending on how I'm feeling I will start with .025 Levothyroxine- again ramping up until I'm feeling good. After looking at all of my records he asked me why someone would start me on Synthroid when I have allergies to trees- Synthroid uses Acacia.... I just can't believe some of these doctors!!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Inactive

JohnsBabe HB User
Smile Re: Finally!!!

Nimbeth...Below is the information for the doctor in Florida. Also, you can do a search for Dr. Shames if you'd like to check him out, too.

Kenneth N. Woliner, MD, ABFP
Holistic Family Medicine, LLC
[ removed ]
Boca Raton, FL 33431
[ removed ]
[ removed ]

I'm off to answer the questions in your new thread...see you there!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-16-2004 at 01:08 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - doctors by name, city and state only.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Slade!! I'm thrilled for you! I never would've thought it was so easy to contact one of the best minds in the business. I'm a little envious.... haha... My doc is an , but yours is a celebrity!
Please stay in touch and let us know how it goes from here.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

GLAD TO HEAR SOME GOOD NEWS! Thanks for sharing.

I'm thinking I may club my doc over the head and go for the adrenal angle when I go for to get lab checks in a couple of weeks. I am allergic to grass and mold, perhaps I'm allergic to Synthroid or the Adrenals just have gotten tired. It definately sounds like its worth checking into.

Where is that Doctor from Slade. I'll go to him where ever he might be...or I'll have my endo phone him. She could use a few tips.

Thanks Again!

Old 09-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Sladedog- -

Congratulations on finally finding a Dr. that can help you!
I'm waiting to change over insurance plans, after giving up hope of Kaiser ever helping me. Altho I don't think I have an adrenal problem, (don't know, they never checked) I am searching for a new Dr. I have read Thyroid Power and was impressed. And I have thought of seeing Dr. Shames, (actually I heard some negative things about him on another board, and then started doubting), but now your post is giving me hope again. Luckily, I live only an hour east of Berkeley, so I could see him. Does he take most insurance plans, or did I read he doesn't take insurance? I can't remember! How long did you have to wait to see him?
Lucky You!!! I'm happy to hear of your good fortune!!
Best of luck to you!
Deda

Old 09-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
(male)

sladedog HB User

he doesn't take any insurance, but for me I could care less a this point- just want to get healthy- whatever the cost!! I called on Monday morning and got an appointment on Wednesday- I was shocked....
started the cortef today- felt fine all morning then wham, right around 1:00 I hit a wall and have felt horrible all afternoon- he said this might happen. It looks like it's going to be a long process but I'm in it for the long haul!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

sladedog-- thanks for reply, and info. Yes, I think any fees are well worth feeling well again, for sure. Hang in there with your new treatment. We all know by now that these treatments don't work overnight. Your patience will be worth it once it does start working. Oh, and I can't believe you got in there so fast! Must've been your lucky day!
Thanks again,
Deda

Old 09-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
(male)

sladedog HB User

I had one coming, trust me!!!
Oh, and I can't believe you got in there so fast! Must've been your lucky day!
Thanks again,
Deda[/QUOTE]

Old 09-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Wow Sladedog, just caught this thread, I'm glad you have FINALLY got to the bottom of it and found your problem.
Here's to getting well and feeling better, keep us posted on how you are doing.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #15

peacemanor HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you recommend a saliva test? My endro only did a cortisol am test and it came back normal. Before test he thought I might have it due to my symtoms but my test came back normal so he's dismissing it. 11 weeks on meds and no relief so I'm anxiously trying to figure out what's wrong.

So what did you take for your adrenals and how long till relief?

Thanks,
Wendy

Closed Thread