It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 PM   #1

sheritap HB User
What Meds do you take

Can you help me by posting what different Medications you have been put on and if you liked them or not. If you had problems with them could you list them please? I want to have information from the people that have really tried them. When I had my hyst I relied on what the Doctor said was best not knowing all of the side effects. That was a horrible mistake. I already know that synthroid is not for me but there seems to be so many others out there. They will do the removal on the 27th of this month so it is crunch time on research.

Thanks to all of you that take the time to post. These boards have been so very helpfull.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: What Meds do you take

I am not on any meds right now but I have noticed many people talking about Armour thyroid. It has the t4 and t3 that is suppose to be better because it has the added t3. I think if you have any kind of heart problems you can't take it.

I have heard that most doctors always like to prescribe synthroid for some reason.

That is all the information I have. Someone else that has more knowledge will add to this.

Take care
Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
Inactive

naanee HB User

I am talking Armour Thyroid. So far no side efftect from it.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I started out on Unithroid (synthetic T4) had no problems with it but my FT3 levels were too low so switched to Thyrolar (synthetic T3 and T4) did o.k. on this for a while then had too much T3. Switched back to Unithroid and added a little Cytomel (T3 only) did o.k. but my body seemed to not like the Cytomel (heart skipped like crazy) so now I take Unithroid and have added Nature-Throid (natural T3, T4 same as Armour) I have done much better on this combo.

Most people feel that the natural meds even in small amounts added to a synthetic alliviate their symptoms moreso than just the synthetics.

Good luck on your search for the right med for you.

Last edited by dea4; 09-17-2004 at 07:22 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Veteran

west end girl HB User

I take synthroid . When I start a higher dose I feel really sick ( not been sick just feel it ) and dizzy but only lasts a few days . Basically makes me feel YUK !!!

Sara xx

Old 09-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Here are the basics of hypothyroid meds...

The active ingredients, T4 and/or T3, in any hypothyroid med are the same, no matter the brand. They are identical versions of the hormones that your own gland would make if it could. Different people respond differently to each brand due primarily to their reactions to the kind of fillers, binders, and dyes that bulk up the T4/T3 into a compressed tablet. One person's success with any one brand doesn't guarantee your success with it, so it isn't especially useful to compare reactions among users.

The natural dessicated thyroid that so many of us have success with is made under fewer brand names than the synthetics. Armour, Naturethroid, and Westhroid all contain both T4 and T3, which makes them superior products for people who have trouble converting T4 or whose cells are resistant to T3. Again, the active ingredients are the same. Anyone who is hypo needs the same active ingredients. The major differences in any of the brands are the inert ingredients, which can make a huge difference in the way someone absorbs the active ingredients.

I've only tried two... Synthroid which definitely was not for me, and Armour which seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-17-2004 at 08:10 AM.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User

Well, everyone is different, and what works for one won't necessarily work for another. My doctor is a strong believer in Armour only, but because I apparently do a great job of converting T4 to T3, I'm on a combination of Armour and Synthroid. Armour 1.5 grains was not enough, but 2 grains took my T3 over the top and my FT4 was still low. Adding 50 mcg of Synthroid to the 1.5 Armour seems to be just about right. I still tend to crash in the late afternoon, but I also have chronic Epstein-Barr which probably accounts for it.

Closed Thread