It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

LMS1306 HB User
Question about treatment

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about treatment that some of you may be able to help me out with.

I was diagnosed with Hashis 2001. Ignorant endos, drs meant I didn't start treatment until this year when I found a wonderful dr. I started T4 at the beginning of the year and found it made me much worse. I then started 25mg slow release T3. Improved slightly although my levels were still low. Then started taking 35mg of the T3. Still didn't feel any better. Dr ran a heap of tests and this is what was discovered (sorry I don't have exact numbers):

TSH 2.5 (0.5 - 4.0)
Free T4 - below normal range (Dr said not to worry about this as I am being treated with T3)
Free T3 - only just in the lower part of the normal range
Reverse T3 - 800+ over double the highest normal range (Dr said this is the highest he has ever seen)
Antibodies - one was only just above normal and one was 1100 - way above normal (sorry can't remember which was which).
Cortisol (done by salivary test) - about 100 above normal range
DHEA (done by salivary test) - only just within the lower section of the normal range.
I had some other female hormone tests done (too hard to spell) and they all were normal.

The doctor has now prescribed me 50mg slow release T3. He also told me to reduce stress levels and take vitamin B and C for my adrenals.

Does this sound like the best course of treatment?

I am getting desperate - I need to feel better and I need to lose weight.

Kind Regards,
Lynette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Question about treatment

Hi again. I am sorry I did not see your post here. I posted at the top at the sticky before I saw your post here.

Someone will help you with your bloodtests results. I am not too educated on that.

Betty

Old 09-17-2004, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Question about treatment

From the look of your tests (cortisol and DHEA and ReverseT3) you may be dealing with an adrenal problem. When cortisol levels are elevated your body will shift to producing more ReverseT3 instead of T3 - RT3 is inactive. T3 is produced from inactive T4 and quite a bit is converted into Reverse T3 to help clear the T4 from your system, under conditions of stress (high cortisol levels) more T4 is converted to Reverse T3 and less into active T3. This would explain why your T4 is low. Sorry I can't offer more help; here are some very helpful and knowledgeable people here who can tell you more, hang tight.

The fact that your doctor even considerend giving you T3 is a good sign, however. Most will prescribe T4 and not even consider anything else. However, from what I've picked up here if your problem is adrenal this should be treated before your thyroid is, or things can get worse.

Regarding your thyroid tests, your TSH is still considered low, most women feel better when theirs is around 1. And you've tested positive for anitbodies so I'd hazard that you're dealing with Hashi's (autoimmune hypothyroidism). I am not sure that FreeT4 means 'nothing' as your doctor stated because you're on T3 - low FT4 levels will make you feel fatigued and run down (at least they do for me!).

I suspect that if your adrenal problem is treated you'll start noticing an improvement in your thyroid.

Nat

Old 09-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

LMS1306 HB User
Unhappy Re: Question about treatment

Thank you for your responses.

I too was wondering whether I needed additional treatment for my adrenal results? I was also unsure if it was an adrenal problem as Cortisol is really high, and only DHEA is low?

I was diagnosed with celiac earlier this year but I am confident that is under control and shouldn't be causing any further problems by now.

I think I need a new body.......

Regards,
Lynette

Closed Thread