It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #1

Yardboy HB User

hi folks. just wanted to introduce myself. i'm a newly diagnosed member with Graves Disease who spent a long time pretty concerned about my symptoms and was diagnosed on monday of this week.

Lemme tell you, 5 years of being hot and uncomfortable, but living in a warm climate and thinking that was the problem, is definitely something i look forward to putting behind me. The leg shakes pushing in the clutch, the arm shakes picking up anything, the temper, the fatigue after any decent exercise, and my resting pulse of 90 are all the symptoms I hope the 30mg of Tapazole I'm on will eradicate. I'm 33 today, and so this came on in my late 20's. Course, didn't go to the doc cuz docs just have bad news. I waited till the shortness of breath really got in the way of my boxing, cycling, jogging, etc. Last winter, I started riding my bike again, and did a 30 mile loop around my city at over a 19 mph average speed. I was wiped out afterwards, but thought "how sick can i be if i can pull that off relatively out of shape?"

My lab results were:
TSH: Not sure, but he said it was nearly undetectable
FT4: 2.67 (.8-1.8)
RAIU 24h: 66% (30%)
Scan: Diffuse

The good news: my brand new PCP, which I saw for the first time, included thyroid blood tests with the CBC and a couple other tests on the first visit. I think the clammy hands and rapid pulse were tip offs, but still. Sounds like I have an adept PCP for looking there right away. He sent me to an endo who agreed with my guestinosis of GD. He sort of leaned toward RAI, but when i said I wasn't comfortable with that he was more than happy to give me Tapazole. The man answers all my questions and i feel comfortable with him. He knows I've done my homework, and those doc/patient relationships work best, imo. He has me in at 1 mo. for blood work. No significant eye symptoms yet, and quit smoking almost 4 years ago so hope to be spared that.

I've read alot on here and it has helped make sense of this disease. Glad to be on board.

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: New Member

Hi Jason!

I too have Graves Disease was just dianosed last month or so. I'm 26.

All the same symptoms you have. Pounding fast heart beat, sweating like crazy, terrible mood swings, insomnia,etc. What bothered me most was the muscle weakness. I play volleyball and the first few games I was ok, but slowly I started to notice my serves could barely make it over the net. There are times when it's hard for me to even stand up. I just don't have the strength! This last week I've noticed that I have more hand tremors and just all over shakiness. Sucks, doesn't it!?

I am taking tapazole but it's to prepare for surgery. I didn't want the radiation done, the uptake test for me gave me thyroiditis for a few days. It made my neck feel terrible, swollen, hard to breathe.

Welcome to the boards and there are tons of knowledgeable people on here!
If you have any Q's feel free to ask!

April

Old 09-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Welcome!!

If you want some really good info on Graves, look up posts by K9Mom.

Hope all goes well for you.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:26 AM   #4
Veteran

west end girl HB User

Hi Jason

Welcome , i'm Hypo so don't know much about Graves Disease but you have come to the best place to find people who do

Sara xx

Old 09-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi Jason welcome to the 'graves gang!' like yourself lve prob had it about 6 yrs been on treatment since July 13th now lm on black n replace the girls (n guys) are great here and will help all they can. Take care x

Closed Thread