It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

dogtired HB User
Question Irregular heartbeat

I have every sypmtom of Hashis but I also have (especially when I lie down
at night) irregular heartbeats sometimes it feels like it's skipping a beat
and sometimes it feels like it's fibrillating for a few seconds which takes
my breath away and is a bit scary.I thought these were signs of hyper.
Has anyone else that's hypo had these symptoms?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Irregular heartbeat

Well hi again. Yep the same darn thing that I have. It has got to be thyroid related.

Today I had a my doc appointment. Well an FNP(better than docs anyway). I told her about my heart fluttering and skipping beats. She gave me an EKG and everything looked good she said.

I am not trying to say that yours is definitely from your thyroid. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out. Actually I have had them for awhile and never told my old MD. The reason is: I DON'T LIKE HIM!!!

One bad thing was my bloodpressure it was150/100. Maybe it was whitecoat hypertension. Maybe it's because I was thinking to myself." This is going to be another disappointment".

I am going to up my bloodpressure medicine for sure.

You take care and might as well get an EKG as long as you have insurance to pay for it.

Take care now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired
I have every sypmtom of Hashis but I also have (especially when I lie down at night) irregular heartbeats sometimes it feels like it's skipping a beat and sometimes it feels like it's fibrillating for a few seconds which takes my breath away and is a bit scary.I thought these were signs of hyper. Has anyone else that's hypo had these symptoms?
Thanks in advance.
Dogtired, I knew I read a reply that explains this in another thread earlier today and I just found it. This is from Dea4:

"The FREE levels also fluctuate, the FT3 probably the most since it is short lived and your body uses it as needed, its the one that gives you the energy to function, so if its low you will feel tired and fatiqued, if its high you will feel like you have too much coffee.

However, the following can cause that as well......

Your FT4 needs to remain at a pretty consistant level, if you don't have enough meds the body will convert as much T4 to T3 to keep your body going, this can cause a lower T4 and a higher T3 which can also cause all sorts of symptoms including hyper ones. "

If you're interested the thread is http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=208604 (just remove the [url] [/url])

Nat

Old 09-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

According to your post ,that was very interesting I might add, it is very very important to get the ft4 and ft3.

So that is why dogtired and I are having all these symptoms.

Next time I get bloodtests I will have to insists on ft3 too.

I may have to print out that to take to my next appointment.

Thank you again Nat. We can use all the information you can type out

Betty

Old 09-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

*lol* Betty, I just copied it, Dea4 did all the typing!

Old 09-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh of course!!! A big thanks to dea4. Another person here with great knowlege

Old 09-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #7

dogtired HB User

Thanks for the info. Nat and Dea4. My doc has never tested my fT3.

Last edited by dogtired; 09-17-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtired
Thanks for the info. Nat and Dea4. My doc has never tested my fT3.

Betty what did your doc say about your thyroid today? Are they going
to treat you? Sorry to hear about your increased blood pressure.
There are many people on this board with good information isn't there?

Well I am just going to have to be patient a little longer. My story is that I had Graves disease, took antithyroid drugs, took Radioactive Iodine to kill my
thyroid, went back on antithyroid drugs. In July of this year I went hypo. I tapered off the PTU but I am still hypo. My freet4 has went up but rather slowly. I asked my old MD for some t4 supplement but he would not let me have it. He just wanted to monitor my thyroid.

I am losing my insurance so I went to a clinic that is federally funded. You only have to pay a $10.00 office fee. She said the bloodtests will only cost about $4.00. It is located in Joplin, Mo.

Well anyway, she didn't say much about my bloodpressure( which was very odd). I will take a higher dose to keep it down.

I go back in two weeks for bloodtests and hopefully my freet4 will go up more.
I am definitely going to try really hard to get the freet3 tests. From what I have read here, it is very important.

That is my almost lifes story LOL!!
Betty

Old 09-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #9

sheritap HB User

What about when you go sit on the couch and rest your head back. Does anyone else get the flutters then? It scares me so much when it happens, I get no warning. Also if I have a glass of wine or a beer with my husband and friends you can bet I will have a tightning of the chest at some time that night. oh oh oh I have not read it any where and my Doctor looked at me like I was an idiot when I said that every once in a while my breasts feel like they "fill up" like when I nursed the kids. (baby is 9 years old now so it can not be him haha) I have had a total Hyst. There are so many questions.

Last edited by sheritap; 09-17-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have the flutters when I go to bed or lay down. If I rest for awhile, they seem to go away.

I took a double dose of my bloodpressure medicine this morning and I haven't had any yet. But the medicine made me very tired. Just made me feel awful.

I will reduce the dose next time

Old 09-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I get heart palpitations when my T3 is too low. When my doc Added Armour to my meds, in addition to Levoxyl, they went away. When I forget to take a dose, they come right back. They are definitely worse when I lie down.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I have the same thing with other chemical symptoms. Blood pressure regulation problems, mild hypoglycemia, mild panic attacks, etc. These are all symptoms of hyper. I had my thyroid checked and it was fine. My diagnosis was Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome with Dysautonomia. More common in women, often manisfests symptoms during young adulthood, symptoms get worse during times of stress. Symptoms can range from anything like IBS to Allergies to Dizzy/Fainting Spells. It would be worth looking into if you have symptoms that seem more consistant with hyper than hypo.

I have visted the ER a few times with my heart palpitations. They always tell me "it's annoying, but not dangerous." Yeah, I'm always telling myself that when I'm afraid I'm gonna stop breathing in my sleep.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 09-18-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Old 09-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren1024
I have the same thing with other chemical symptoms. Blood pressure regulation problems, mild hypoglycemia, mild panic attacks, etc. These are all symptoms of hyper. I had my thyroid checked and it was fine. My diagnosis was Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome with Dysautonomia. More common in women, often manisfests symptoms during young adulthood, symptoms get worse during times of stress. Symptoms can range from anything like IBS to Allergies to Dizzy/Fainting Spells. It would be worth looking into if you have symptoms that seem more consistant with hyper than hypo.

I have visted the ER a few times with my heart palpitations. They always tell me "it's annoying, but not dangerous." Yeah, I'm always telling myself that when I'm afraid I'm gonna stop breathing in my sleep.
Hi Siren, I have heard of that Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. How did they find out that you had it? What kind of test did they do?

I don't have any palpatations, just skipping beats. When I had graves that is when the palpitations were bad. Couldn't even sleep because I could feel my heart beating fast. Very scary situation.

Would and EKG show the Mitral Valve Prolapse? I got one and it was okay.

Thank you for your info.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I had to get an Echocardiogram (ultrasound) to check to see if I had a leaky Mitral Valve. EKG only picks up rythym and strength. When the Mitral Valve Prolapse was they diagnosed me with the syndrome based on my symptoms, and the fact that hyperthyroidism was ruled out. There really is no test for dysautonomia (your auto nervous system is out of balance,) but it is genetically linked to the Mitral Valve malformations. The mitral valve and the autonomic nervous system form at the same time during gestation, so often when there is a glitch with one, there's a glitch with the other.

Here's a quick crash course: You have 2 parts of your autonomic nervous system, the sympathetic, which is the response, and the parasympathetic, which "puts the breaks on" the response when enough has been done. In my case, my parasympathetic nervous system doesn't respond in time, leaving me with "over responsive" symptoms like allergies, panic attacks, and low blood sugar because my body forgets to put the breaks on my immune system, adrenaline production, and insulin production. Does that make any sense?

The symptoms so often mimic thyroid disorders that they are always ruled out before MVPS is diagnosed. Interestingly enough, many people with MVPS report having very sharp senses, night blindness/light sensitivity, sensitive skin, and/or a super sensitive sense of smell. I have all of these.

Women with MVPS also tend to be on the tall side with long limbs and "loose" easily strained joints. Noone knows exactly why, but it's probably all genetically linked. Hope this answers some questions!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 09-18-2004 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

You described that very well. I thank you for your valuable information.

Closed Thread