It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #1

Unn HB User
B12 injections??

I just got some bloodtests done and the doc prescribed B12 injections.

The test said:
S-Vitamin B12 280 Reference range: [170-650]

And my prescription says: 2 mL every week for 5 weeks. (2 mL = 2 mg)

I think this sounds like a lot but I don't know.
Do any of you out there have any experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: B12 injections??

B12 injections are not uncommon if you've got a thyroid problem, Unn. Most injections contain as much as 2500mcg, or 2.5mg and are well tolerated - if you're deficient then they are necessary for continued health. Are you hyperthyroid? Hyper tends to cause a low level of B12 and can lead to a defficiency, and your numbers are kinda low. Having too much B12 isn't usually an issue because excess is excreted via your urine, unless you have a liver problem.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #3

Unn HB User

Hi Nat

Thank you for your reply

I was just worried, because it seemed like a big dose and I am within "normal range". After becoming Hypo I've lost all my confidence in doctors and double check everything.

And I'm just wondering how B12 helps? Did you feel any difference?

Old 09-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unn
And I'm just wondering how B12 helps? Did you feel any difference?
I hear you Unn You may be w/in the 'range' but remember what that means on a TSH or FT test? Not much.

B12 works closely with another B vitamin, folic acid, in reactions involved with DNA synthesis, blood cell formation, nervous system maintenance and heart health. It is also involved in the metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, as it is needed to produce succinyl CoA, ( this is used by your body for cellular energy)

It will help:
  • Improve memory
  • Promote concentration
  • Increase energy
  • Reduce heart disease risk

It's water soluble so it's pretty safe, even at high levels (e.g. oral intakes as high as 3000 mcg are considered non-toxic.) B12 is only produced by bacteria, so it is only found in food products of animal origin and in some fermented vegetable products such as tempeh and miso (fermented soybeans). SO if you don't eat a lot of these products you should consider supplementing with it. Because it is stored in the liver it can take years for a deficiency to come to light.

You might very well feel a lot better after your first dose. I haven't ever had to take B12, Unn, but my neighbour (how coincidentally enough had Graves and had his thyroid removed and turned hypo) gets an injection a few times a year and he noticed a huge difference in his energy levels.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

I take b-12 injections also and I love the energy I get from them. I also take a b-12 vitamin. The dr said it isn't neccessary for me to do it but it wouldn't hurt if I did.

Closed Thread