It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #1

easha HB User
Uptake and thryoid scan

Hello,
I'm new here and am hoping someone might know something about uptakes and scans. I have a multinodular goiter that was discovered after I pressed my PCP about a lump in my neck after my dental hygenist said I should have it looked at. After an ultra sound showed multiple nodules, I was sent to an endo. He did a fine needle biopsy which came back clean. Over the past year I have had pain in my thyroid. I have seen my endo who refered me to an ENT, who said the pain would probably go away if I had my thyroid removed, but that it wasn't necessary.

I just had my yearly check with my endo. My TSH level has gone from 1.0/January to .7/March to .5/now. We talked of my pain in the goiter and a slew of other symptoms I have like a tremor, rapid heart rate, loose stools, nervousness, irritablity, etc. He sent me for a radioactive iodine uptake and scan. I went in yesterday and took the radioactive pills, then went back 2 hours later for a "geiger counter" on my neck and knee. My questions are about what the results I saw meant. I haven't heard back from my doctor yet and was hoping maybe someone might know. The first one count showed:

thyroid: 5300 / 60 seconds
knee: 4900 / 60 seconds

Went back today and had the scan done and another geiger count.
thyroid: 47,500 / 60 seconds
knee: 105 / 60 seconds

I asked the tech what that meant and they said that my body had gotten rid of the background radioactivity (the one in my knee) by either urinating or that it had gone to my thyroid. I asked if the number was high and they said yes.

I also asked to see my scan pictures. They showed them to me and although I couldn't see a multinodular goiter, my right thyroid was twice the size of my left. Although, to me, the color of each side looked the same, both were fairly dark, no bright white spots.

I asked them what it meant. The tech said that I should definetly call my doctor and they could explain it to me.

Does anyone have any take on this. I am a worry wart by nature and having limited information makes me worry more. I called my doctors office, but they were not in on Fridays. I assume that if it was horrible, someone would have gotten ahold of me, but I really don't like assuming.

Also, my endo has run a whole panel of thyroid tests, which I gave blood for on Tuesday. I have not heard these results yet either.

Thank you in advance to anyone who has any information.

Alicia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: Uptake and thryoid scan

Hi! I dont want to comment on your test results b/c I am not sure how they work.

I had the scan done and they just told me I had Graves, not how much or anything like that, and stupid me, didn't ask.

Was there a computer screen there you could see? With mine there were 3 graphs I could see. The 2 outside ones were blue, the middle was red. They tested me 24 hrs later and the test lasted 120 seconds. So, as the test went on the red one in the middle kept going up and up- to about 280? (not sure what was counting) and the blue ones stayed low, very low. not even about 20 I think. Then he did my knee same thing for the outer 2 except the red stay low too this time, I think it barely broke 10.

Dont know if that helps- I dont even know what mine meant (so if anyone else knows! ha ha!)

I'm sure someone else will be around to help you!

Closed Thread