It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

michele32871 HB User
Angry HELP!! with my doctor

What should I do??? I was first diagnosed as Hypo in April 2003. Been on .75 Synthroid since then. In Jan, I had my regular bloodwork, my doc does it every 6 months. In Jan, my TsH was 1.2, doc said cholesterol was "excellent". Recently I havent' been feeling well, tired, sluggish, achy, depressed, periods irregular, gaining weight rapidly (I gained 6 pounds in ONE week!!) etc.
So we did labs again last week. My cholesterol is high. Total 203. And my TsH is 4.27. However, since the lab where I get my work done considers anything under 5 normal, and I am under 5, doc won't change my meds.......what do I do?? Should I see an endo?? I live in Northeast PA, in the Poconos, if anyone can recommend anyone.

THanks!!
Michele from PA

Old 09-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: HELP!! with my doctor

Your doctor surely is not going by just the tsh to diagnose you.

You need the freet3 and freet4 checked too. If they won't do the freet3 make sure and get the freet4 at least.

I know from experience. I had the tsh and freet4(my doc only does these).
My tsh shows normal but the freet4 shows low. And I do have hypo symptoms like the ones that you have mentioned.

Take care and hope you get to feeling better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

michele32871 HB User

Well, first, my Tsh is NOT normal. It's high, as well as my cholesterol. She also did a T3 Uptake and Free T4, but she won't tell me those numbers, only that they are in the "normal" range. My point here is that since my Tsh has gone UP, as well as my cholesterol, and that I am extremely symptomatic, doesn't that warrant an increase in meds??

Thanks again.
Michele

Old 09-19-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele32871
She also did a T3 Uptake and Free T4, but she won't tell me those numbers, only that they are in the "normal" range. My point here is that since my Tsh has gone UP, as well as my cholesterol, and that I am extremely symptomatic, doesn't that warrant an increase in meds??
Michele, you are permitted by law to have a copy of your test results, just FYI. I'd push for it.

As for TSH, once you've begun treatment it has little bearing on things - for some people it's higher and for others it's almost completely supressed. TSH is a pituitary hormone and yet doctors think of it as the 'gold standard'. What matters are your symptoms and your FT levels. The old "you're in the normal range" is something we all get, often. Most women feel best when their FTs are in the upper 3rd of the range, being 'normal' can mean you're on the low end and feel awful.

The fact that you're feeling awful alone should mean something should be done, IMHO. I would also ask for a FT3 test, as the Uptake isn't a test that tells you anything useful. What you might want to do to try and persuade this doctor is get a copy of the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) press release from january 2003 where the new range for TSH is found (.3 - 3.0 - this has since been changed downward again to .3 - 2.5). Also, a copy of Guidelines 23 & 27 from the National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry which state that FT4 and TSH should be at the above mentioned levels. If that fails, fire your doctor and find one who will listen to you - there are some good tips on how to do this in the Information Archive.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 09-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You're right. Your increased TSH does warrant a dose increase. You can try the suggestions Nat made... But it's highly unlikely you'll ever get this doctor to agree with you. I've been coming to this forum for over two years, and I've never yet seen anyone change an ignorant doctor's mind. I hate to say this yet again... sounds like a broken record... It's better to cut your losses and switch to someone else who knows something about thyroid disease.

Closed Thread