It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Hyper children? Questions!

My neice who just turned 3 had a tsh test done a while back, her results were .30 (.34 being the low end of normal) She is a small girl, barely on the growth charts that pediatricians use. She weighs like 25lbs. She is a little imature for her age also, doesn't speak as well as other kids her age. She is very restless and is always moving around. They tested her b/c she was so tiny, short and light weight.

Just wondering how the docs base TSH and other thyroid tests with children. Do they tend to run higher? Or is it like adults? I told my sis in law she should get her checked again since I've been diagnosed with graves.

Any info you can give about children, tsh levels with them, thyroid levels and what docs usually base the tests on etc. How do they treat hyper kids?
...And any other info that may be important!!

Thanks!
april

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: Hyper children? Questions!

Hi April,
Normal ranges on thryoid tests are different for children. Even so, her TSH is barely below that range....when we are truly hyper our TSH is generally .01 or less.

Failure to grow appropriately (stunted growth) is more associated with HYPOthyroidism and low thyroid levels or low growth hormone levels. Ya'll might want to ask them to check her growth hormone levels. Good luck!

Last edited by K9Mom; 09-18-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread