It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #1

dizzychild HB User
Unhappy Please help...thyroid?

Hello,

I am new and had a question about thyroid. For the last couple months I have had the feeling that my heart is racing, especially when I am trying to sleep at night. It is a jittery (like I have had a gallon of coffee) feeling that persists throughout the day. Both my grandma and great grandma were hyperthyroid and my mother is hypo. I had a blood test and my doctor said my TSH was within normal range. He gave me Nortriptyline (trycillic anti-depressant) to help me sleep, but I still feel lousy. I think I am getting brushed of with anxiety meds and I have never had problems with anxiety before. I am getting so tired of feeling this way, does anyone have any ideas, or similar experience. I would really appreciate some insight. Thanks

Last edited by dizzychild; 09-19-2004 at 12:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User
Re: Thyroid problems?

Welcome to the boards Dizzy,

Many of us on here have had the same thing happen. MDs want to treat the numbers from the labs rather than treating the patient. You don't list what you TSH was but some Dr.s are using outdated standards. If you go to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists web site you will find current standards posted there. If you didn't get your lab #s from the Dr., call and get them now, then compare them to what the Endocrinologists say. After 4 years of being under medicated for thyroid I don't think I will ever go to a dr. visit unprepared unless something unknown pops up and then I will come back home and research it myself. The best defense for your own good health is the knowledge you can acrue for yourself.

Somestimes too many Dr.s want to give feel good pills, antidepressants, because it's and answer and they feel they did their job that way. Often times an osteopath will treat symptoms better than an MD because they are taught to listen to their patients better.

Good luck to you and May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #3

sanshock HB User

Do some research of your own on the net about thyroid so you are more knowledable, then find yourself another endo. The endo I went to left me with hyperthyroid for 4 years say it wasn't bad enough to treat, and I was a basket case by Dec of last year. When I got some knowledge under my belt and went to another endo, I told him up front that 1) I knew a little about it, and 2) I needed help....badly. The racing pulse rate is one of the many symptons of hyper. Mine was so bad it would wake me up during the night. Anti-depressants only made things worse for me so I swore off of them. Now that I'm on the right meds life is a lot easier to live with.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi Dizzy, Welcome to the boards. I just wanted to add my two cents worth.
I had graves disease which is the same as hyperthyroid. The doctor always had my tsh in addition to the freet4. You cannot go just by the tsh.

When I was diagnosed they gave me medicine to correct my condition. Now I am hypo. I had the tsh and freet4 checked. My tsh is normal but my freet4 shows that I am hypo.

If your doctor won't do the freet4, I would try to find another doctor. The other one to get checked is the freet3. It is very important to get it checked too.

You are having the symptoms that I had with graves disease. Yours may be milder than mine. I couldn't hardly drink coffee. At night I could not sleep because I could feel my heart beating away. My hair came out easy. Had frequent bowel movements,lost too much weight, excessive hunger.

There is a lady on the boards that has very good information. She went through our situation and she knows much more than I do. Just ask for K9mom. You can ask ask much as you want to.

Good luck and take care of yourself
Betty

Closed Thread