It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Question HypoT and a Cold

Help. I have developed a killer cold, in 24 hours it seems. I started sneezing like mad on Saturday night and by Sunday morning I was a snotty mess. I wanted to take an antihistamine or decongestant last night because I could not get to sleep, nose was plugged and throat hurt like heck. All the cold meds I have say in big letters do not take if you have thyroid disease! At 3 am this morning I had to give in and take half of one dose, I was beyond frustrated, exhausted and unable to breath.

Are there any cold meds you can take while you're taking eltroxin (synthroid) and if not, what do you do?

I am absolutely amazed how fast this came on - usually I get a few days of feeling tired with an itchy throat and sneezes, it feels now like I'm half way through a nasty one and it's only day 2.

BTW, my basal body temp has shot up to 98.9 (I was happy getting 97.8 for the past 3 days) would this constitute a fever or just a hard working immune system?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

BonBe HB User
Re: HypoT and a Cold

Hello Nat

just before we were headed up north camping, I came down with a nasty cold that would not go away. The plugged up sneezy stuff I controlled just by doing the "vicks inhalation steam thing" then when my nose stopped running I was left with a sore throat, and a naggy cough. Since we were soon headed out and I was not letting this get me down, I bought some of those Ricola things and they worked too (to some degree) Coughing continued though, and I was sure the bears would come out in force to kick me out! so on a trip south to Parry Sound I went into a pharmacy and asked for advice EXCELLENT guy by the way.

He recommended a product called DELSYM DM which believe it or not acted not only for a cough due to a cold, but a sort of decongestant (it is not for that, but I imagine other products in that line can be checked out) I have never heard of it before from Novartis Consumer Health Canada Inc. in Mississauga.

But for the totally plugged up head, I found the steam treatment (head covered with towel over bowl of hot hot water with Vicks vapo rub mixed in started the unplugging immed.

Hope this helps. I am (was on Eltroxin, 50mg until I needed a boost up and since they do not make it in 75mg the product is now Synthroid 75mg. Dx'd 1996

Bonnie Lea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Thanks, Bonnie, I actually know of and tend to use the Delsym - I get the orange flavour - we like it because it's sugar free. A very hot shower last night helped with the stuffiness, too.

I am off to see about some drugs - my head feels like it's wrapped in cotton and it's driving me nuts!

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
(female)

BonBe HB User

Good going. I was pleased to find such a product and to find it in such a circumstance as what I was in last July. I think it tastes sort of like those good old Creamsicles!!!

Good luck. Vicks vapo rub made into steam really does work.

Bonnie

Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
(male)

sladedog HB User

my pharmacist said that the warnings only pertain to hyper/thyroid- not hypo- and that there would be no interaction between synthroid and cold medicine...

Old 09-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Gopherhead be on the lookout for the flu. My daughter had it gave it to me. Mine started with body aches, sore throat, some nausea, no appetite, chills,very stuffed up head. Then I started getting this green and yellow mucous when I blew my nose. AAAAAAh!! big time sinus infection.

It last a week. Don't know where you live. I live in Southwest Missouri.

Take care

Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladedog
my pharmacist said that the warnings only pertain to hyper/thyroid- not hypo- and that there would be no interaction between synthroid and cold medicine...
Slade, this is exactly what my pharmacist told me as well. He said that the only problem you might encounter if you were hypoT and were just beginning treatment would be due to an increased heart rate.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Gopherhead be on the lookout for the flu. My daughter had it gave it to me. Mine started with body aches, sore throat, some nausea, no appetite, chills,very stuffed up head.
Thanks for the warning, Betty. I am pretty sure this is just a cold (ha, just! I feel like death warmed over). It's all in my head and I don't feel anything like aches or nausea (and believe me I know exactly what those feel like lately ). I live in Ontario and believe it or not there has been localized influenza activity here already - this is the first week of reporting and it's already a problem.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #9

Felix73 HB User

Hi Gopher,
sorry you are feeling poorly. I had a chat with my doctor today and he said that, early on in the treatment, your body is very vulnerable and we will pick up anything that is going round. I've had several sore throats in the last couple of months and he said it is just my body adapting. I suspect you will be similar. Not that this will make you feel better but maybe knowing why you feel so bad will help.

Take it easy and keep warm. Hope you feel better soon.

felix x

Old 09-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
(female)

BonBe HB User

my pharmacist here (in Ontario also) says tis better to err on the side of caution as no one can be sure just how a reaction would be and just because we are Hypo (and not Hyper) depends on each person, so to be safe he never recommends a all and out decongestant. Which I find good advice and rather do the 'old fashioned attempts' I have been Hypo for 7 or 8 years and on medication (first started with 25mg of eltroxin, then increased to 50mg eltroxin now 75mg synthroid)

The sore throats I get are killers indeed very very bad and have lasted well past the 2 week mark. Due to the very fact we are hypo....
I was not aware of outbreaks of flu just yet, thanks for the info. Flu shots not happening until October mid me thinks.

BonBe

Old 09-20-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Bonnie, I was visiting health canada's website last night - worried it might be more than a cold! - and they will have the shots out in October. I believe we are advised to get the shots around the end of Oct or beginning of Nov so that they last the full season, otherwise we could have them now. This year they've got Fujian in there, thank heavens!

Felix, you know, I just remembered what life was like two weeks ago and this cold suddenly isn't so bad. I'm just happy I am not exhausted, dizzy and feeling brain dead along with it. I had also head we are more suseptible to viruses etc but it just never occured to me to think 'cold or flu' - I never get these, and certainly not this time of the year. Add to that how fast it came on... No warning day of sneezing or tickle in the throat, just a full out head cold, thank you very much. Yuck!

Nat (sniff)

Closed Thread