It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 06:49 AM   #1
Inactive

westin4 HB User
Your stories have pushed me on to do.........

something about my thyroid and I am so appreciative!

I was diagnosed with Hashi's in July from a biopsy I had done. To make a long story short, since my labs were all ok, my dr. didn't want to treat me even though I have SO many symptoms and high antibodies. I have read all of your stories and posts and just knew that it would be up to me to get things done, not up to a dr. I had armed myself in the last 2 months with tons of info I have gotten off these boards and headed to the dr again last Thurday. She was very interested in the info.........thanked me for it..........said she would order all the tests mentioned in the info.........AND treat me based on symptoms if that is what I wanted to try. She thanked me for taking the time to research this condition so she could better treat it.

Honestly, if all the info wasn't so easy to get from all of you , I don't know where I would have started in taking control of my own health. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post and I will be posting my new labs for all to help me with..........

Karen

Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Your stories have pushed me on to do.........

I am so happy for you. It is very unusual to find a doctor that will listen to you and read the information that you have found. Thumbs up!!!!!

I am hoping that my FNP will listen to me when I have my appointment. Plan on doing just what you did. Gather up information.

Are you able to tell me or can you tell me what information you found on the boards that were so convincing? Maybe if I get the same information you have, she will listen to me. That is if you feel like it.

I sure am happy for you. Bet your proud as a peacock Lol

Betty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Well, now I have to eat my words, Karen!
Just last night, I wrote to someone here that doctors never change their minds when they think they're right to withhold treatment. Yours is proof that I was wrong. She sounds like a real keeper... hang on to her.

This board inspired me in the same way it has done for you. I'm so glad you have learned from us.
Please let us know how it goes from here on.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-20-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Lady,
I have read almost all of the archieves and all of the posts everyday. Each time I saw something that related to my condtion or treatment or the way labs SHOULD be read, I would print it out. I also got the book Thyroid for dummies and had info from links that have been posted on this board.

Good luck and let me know how you make out with your appt.

Karen

Last edited by angel47630; 09-20-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Thanks Karen, your reply is very much appreciated. Good luck on what I would say will be a good treatment for you. Sounds like you have an MD that cares!!!

Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Lady,

I haven't been on the board in a few days and was wondering how you are doing? I haven't gotten my blood work back yet ( it has been a week! ) but I am waiting!

I hope you are feeling ok.......

Karen

Old 09-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Karen,
Well I am just hanging in there for now. I have to get bloodtests this Friday.
My last bloodtests showed my tsh to be fine but my freet4 was a little under the middle. My hair is not falling out so bad. I am hoping not to go back to Graves disease. I will never have the RAI again unless I have an MD that knows about thyroid.

I can actually get some pants on that were too small for me before LOL

Just have to wait and seeeee!!!

Thanks Karen

Old 09-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Lady,

You know I couldn't get the dr to listen to me at all at first about having a low thyroid because in the last year I have lost 50 pounds. She said and my gyno said that there was NO way I could have lost weight and have an under active thyroid. Guess what............they were wrong. Sometimes they just don't "know" what they are talking about do they??????

Karen

Old 09-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah and a lot of them just go by the tsh. That shows you how much they know about thyroid.

I just don't have the energy that I use to have. I also get depressed about nothing. I would say it is still a little bit low.

I can't believe you lost 50lbs wow! I lost about that much when I had graves.

This FNP seemed a much more caring then my Male MD. Women are a little more sensitive then men in someways. Arrrg! maybe I shouldn't have said that.

Closed Thread