It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Body temp, is it accurate?

Sorry if I've already talked about this!! I dont think I have, but I have a terrible memory lately.

Just reading around on the net and other posts I've seen a lot of people talking about body temp. Some swear by it and others say it's not always the case!! Which leaves me confused.

I am hyper/Graves. With some but not all symptoms. Sweating, insomnia, slight weight loss (woo hoo!), hair loss, moodiness, muscle fatigue, pounding/racing heart, enlarged thyroid. (i;m sure a few others I can't remember!)
I've been taking my temp before getting out of bed and it's usually right around 97.4 Of course throughout the day, when I am moving about it gets higher around 98.7 but never really higher than that.

I posted on another site about my temp being low and they said I have adrenal problems. Which after having blood tests doneand radioactive uptake test done....all testing pointed towards graves.

Ok, so I guess I was just wondering what anyone thought of that?

Thanks!
April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: Body temp, is it accurate?

anyone? (ha ha I guess I should be patient since a lot of people work!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Body tempereature tends to be low and stable for hypothyroid patients and low, but fluctuating over time for patients with adrenal fatigue. Do a web search on a Dr. Bruce Rind and read up what he has to say on things. It makes for interesting reading. He ties it all together in one place comparing symptoms and lab results on adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, and the common combination of the two.

Based on your symptoms, I would guess it could Hashimoto's rather than Graves, though I would have to see your lab results to back that up. Do you have Graves Antibody tests to show that you have Graves, or are you just hyperthyroid? Hashimoto's patients are more common and also have periods of hypERthyroidism.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-20-2004 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

April, I know for me that taking my rising temp correlates with my health. I've been taking it religiously for over 3 years and I know the trends from month to month. When I first stated back in 2001 I never got above 97.3, often I'd be 96.something - this was also when I started weight lifting and getting in shape in general. That was the temp regardless of which day of the month I'd take it. Speed ahead two years and it changed. It would be between 97.8 and 98.2 for the first few weeks of my cycle and after I ovulated It would spike up and stay well over 98.5 until the first day of my period (I was using this to be able to tell when this day would be because I was so irregular and I had no symptoms of PMS - the day it would drop .5F is the day I would start). During the course of the day, especially after a workout, I'd hit 100.3. Coincidentally this is when I'd lose the most fat during the month. I called this my Fat Burning Mode.

Through all that time I was healthy, one cold a year, never had the flu, losing fat, working out intensely and consistently.

This Feb I noticed something changed; I started feeling sick and achey but I never had more than two days of this in a row, I'd get PMS symptoms, I was dizzy and my BP dropped. Using BBT to figure out TOM became iffy, it would be all over the place. Then back in June it just stopped getting any higher than 97.8. I also didn't get my TOM in July. No Fat Burning Mode. No energy. No nothing but lethargy, nausea and dizziness.

Since starting a low dose of eltroxin I've noticed that my BBT is back up above 97.8 on a consistent basis again. I am also headache free, haven't been dizzy or felt nauseated since I started and I'm not exhausted at the end of the day anymore. Heck, this morning I was 98.9 - but I'm chalking that one up to fighting a cold; I figure I have the HypoT equivalent of a low grade fever

Softcrush posted a few days about about BBT correlating with well being in another thead (T4 [eltroxin] question) if you're interested.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
Do a web search on a Dr. Bruce Rind and read up what he has to say on things. It makes for interesting reading. He ties it all together in one place comparing symptoms and lab results on adrenal fatigue, hypothyroidism, and the common combination of the two.
I found this guy last week by accident; a truly interesting read, I agree. Until then I was worried I was dealing with possible adrenal fatigue, he really cleared that up for me.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Meep-

I dont have the tests handy...

My tsh was low (below normal) .03 ??
my t3 was above normal. near 300 I think

My radioactive uptake test was postive- I took a lot of the radioactive iodine into my thyroid. I did not have the antibodies test, that I know of.

Now, if it was Hashi's that wouldn't happen would it?

I thnk my body temp has ALWAYS been kinda low anyway. Can my body temp be low b/c of my excessive sweating?? I have NO menstrual flow (not prego either) ALWAYS hot and sweaty, slight hand tremors, recently lost about 9lbs in about 3 weeks time, frequent stools, fast heart rate, terrible TERRIBLE muscle weakness... I dont really have any hypo symptoms.

Who knows...

April

Last edited by AprilPow; 09-20-2004 at 01:24 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
Meep-

I dont have the tests handy...

My tsh was low (below normal)
my t3 was above normal.

My radioactive uptake test was postive- I took a lot of the radioactive iodine into my thyroid. I did not have the antibodies test, that I know of.

Now, if it was Hashi's that wouldn't happen would it?
One of the antibodies often associated with Hashimoto's attacks Thyroid Binding Globulin in the thyroid gland and in the bloodstream. This releases more thyroid hormone into the blood, causing a rise in Free T3 and or Free T4 and a drop in TSH. So the answer is yes, that could be the problem.

Graves antibodies attack the TSH receptors on the thyroid gland causing it to continually produce thyroid hormones, so Free T3 and/or Free T4 rise (usually the T3 rises dramatically), and TSH drops. So this is still a possibility.

The fact is that you need antibody testing to uncover the root of the problem, and to be better prepared to know what treatment path is right both short-term and long-term.

The Iodine Uptake DOES indicate that your thyroid gland is "hungry" for iodine. This could be due to Graves, or Iodine deficiency, in my opinion... Again antibody testing would show what is really going on or not.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I know I did have Thyroid Binding Globulin tested and that was normal.

Closed Thread