It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User
Can it be my levels are off again?

I thought I had my levels finally at a level where I could 'live'. In March my

TSH was 0.117
T4 was 9.2
T3 Uptake was 29
Free Thyroxine Index at 2.7

I felt miserable, body aches, tired, hair falling out, cranky, all those wonderful feelings. In May, tested again, feeling better, the lab only did two levels

TSH was 1.311
T4 was 8.0

I was able to exercise, had energy, lost weight, felt great, until August that is. Started out with my period being 14 days late, muscle aches, hair loss, tiredness, sweating easily again, etc. I thought it was cycle related maybe. Cycle straightened out, but the rest didn't. Had my levels checked the middle of August

TSH was 1.341
T4 was 5.4
T3 Uptake was 28
Free Thyroxine Index at 1.5

Not a big difference, but is it enough to make me feel lousy again. I have a wheelchair bound 20 year old, I usually go by my ability to lift him with ease, when my levels are off, I can't, and the muscle aches are making me nuts. Could it be something else going on, or just my thryoid that hasn't stayed right in the last 5 years??

Old 09-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Can it be my levels are off again?

For some of us the thyroid is very hard to regulate.
I do not see the most important test results in your tests. Is the T4 a free or total? And I don't see a FREE T3. Chances are your Free T3 may be off, its the one that our bodies use on a cellular level, its the one that gives us energy and usually if the other numbers are o.k. but you still feel poorly the FREE T3 is the one that's off causing the problems.
Also, what are the lab ranges for your results? It helps a lot to have those, where in the range the results are can make a big difference as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Brunettsgirl, could you give us the ranges as well? Most people feel better when their numbers are in the upper 3rd of the range, so if you're are in the middle or lower then you would be feeling bad.

If the ranges are the same for all the series of tests then your TSH is rising and your FTs are falling and it is quite a big difference and it would definitely influence how you are feeling.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 09-20-2004 at 02:20 PM.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

Thanks for the replies gang, you guys are great. The ranges are:

T4 - 4.5 - 12.0
T3 Uptake - 24 - 39
Free Thyroxine Index - 1.2 - 4.9
TSH - 0.350 - 5.500

To be honest, after 5 years of up and downs, I'm still confused the way all these levels work. I just recently started making copies of my bloodwork, since I am now on my 4th doctor and I have no faith in any of them at this point so any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

Oh and as for the Free test, I have no idea if they have been done or not, I listed everything on this lab report.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I know what you mean about little faith in some of these medical professionals ... I've found there are more knowledgeable people on this board than a couple of the doctors I've had to deal with.

Your ranges for TSH and T4 indicate that yes, your numbers are getting worse and yes, you would feel worse. Unforunately they didn't do the right tests (they rarely do the first time out - or in your case the 3rd!). Total T4 doesn't tell you enough but it does tell you that your levels are low, as for TSH, it's going up (and those ranges are old - the AACE has recently recommened the range be changed to .2 - 2.5).

If you cannot get the right tests or help from your current doctor it might be time to fire him/her and find one who will listen to you.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

What tests should I tell the doctor I want ran? I need to get this right, I would like more then 2 months of wellness a year. This is nuts. My biggest complaint is the muscle aches in my arms and legs, plus that wonderful backache, with my lifestyle, those just don't figure in. I take Armour Thryoid 75 a day, 90 was too much, I'm wondering if maybe I need to take the 90 every other day. This seems to be such a tennis match, and darn it I hate tennis!

Old 09-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I'd ask for FT4 and FT3, these will explain why you feel so awful. Your FT3 could be OK (unlikely) but your FT4 could be low - Armour has more T3 to T4 than our bodies produce and often you need a little synthetic T4 to even things out. Without knowing your FT levels you cant know for sure. The fact that your TSH is rising is indication enough things are not right.

Are you splitting your dose of Armour? You might find it helps - I read a few posts today about this. 45 in the am, 30 in the afternoon. It helps with those slumps that happen later in the day. Try searching this board for "Armour" and "split" and you should find a few threads where this is discussed. I believe one of the posters was KCgirl.

Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #9
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

I'm not splitting my dose, not against trying it, but my problem is, I know for a fact that I will forget to take that second dose most times. I have trouble remembering to take the other meds I take because I have to wait 2 hours after taking the Armour. Hmm, Memory, what is that? lol I go back to the doctor on the 29th, I will ask her to run those tests for me, I've gone to an internist this time around, after 3 endo's and still not on an even plane thought a new direction was in order. We shall see. Thanks for support, its surely appreciated.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Would you happen to know where I left my keys? Who needs a memory - my husband has been living quite fine w/o one for years

Best of luck
Nat

Old 09-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Wow, I agree your numbers are way too low in the range, even though the T4 is a total it still indicates that your Free level is most likely low, especially since the total level is mostly bound hormone and very little is free. Your Free T index is a calculation of your FREE levels and it is also quite low, no wonder you feel so bad, I'd feel terrible also.

Get those FREE levels checked and let us know what the results turn out to be.

Take care

Old 09-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

LOL Nat! Very well put!

Closed Thread