It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 PM   #1

anrich HB User
Newly diagnosed with hypothyroid

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

TSH is 44.137 normal is .350-5.500

T4 4.7 normal is 4.5-12

T3 27% normal is 24-39

free throxine index is 1.3 normal is 1.2-4.9

I'm wondering why my TSH is so high when it looks like I'm in the low normal range with everything else?

The TSH was done before the thyroid panel. The thyroid panel was done the day after I had a CAT scan with iodine dye. I wonder if that had any affect on the test.

They started me off with 50 mcg of Synthroid. I've taken it for 5 days so far. Since I started taking it, I've been very light headed and irritable. They said it could be the adjustment period.

I'm glad to have found this board. Looks like I can get some great advice here.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with hypothyroid

Hi and welcome! Your Free t3 and Free t4 are what really count and those were not tested. These are probably low and this is why your TSH is so high. The pituitary gland puts out TSH in response to where your "frees" are.
Most people feel at their best when the Free #'s are in the upper quadrant of the reference ranges.
As far as the meds go, give it some time. It can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to balance out. If you start having more adverse affects, the doctor could prescribe a different t4 drug like Levoxyl. And then there's the natural route, Armour. Many people do wonderful on Armour but good luck getting a doc to rx it.
May I suggest something to you? Keep a journal every day of the meds you're taking (or if you forgot to take them), your basal body temp and your symptoms as well as all of your labs (ranges and dates too). This can be very benificial for you and your treatment. You won't have to do it forever, just until you're leveled out and feeling well.
Take care and again, welcome!
Barb
[edited to fix typos]

Last edited by LuvMyLilDoggie; 09-20-2004 at 09:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrich
TSH is 44.137 normal is .350-5.500
T4 4.7 normal is 4.5-12
T3 27% normal is 24-39
free throxine index is 1.3 normal is 1.2-4.9
I'm wondering why my TSH is so high when it looks like I'm in the low normal range with everything else?
I just wanted to reiterate that your other 'normal' values are not for Free T levels so you're not getting an accurate picture of your thyroid health. Total T4 and Total T3 (which is what your Dr. tested) represent the total amount of hormone in your blood that is both bound and unbound. Hormones are bound to proteins and this is how they are transported through your body. The bound hormones are not active and must be "freed" so that you can use them. T4 becomes T3, eventually, so if your Free T4 is low (which it likely is as your Total T4 is low) then your Free T3 would also be low.

As Barb said, you feel best when your Free T's are in the upper part of the range, making 'normal' meaningless unless you feel well.

Your levels can fluctuate throughout the day, as well, being higher in the morning and lower as the day goes on - so that would also have an impact on the numbers. Regardless, those numbers would explain why you feel bad.

Have you had your antibodies tested?

Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 04:28 AM   #4

anrich HB User

Now this is strange. I signed up with my first name in my username. Somehow it got changed to anrich???? Oh well....on to the point....

Thank you for your replies. I will ask about the tests next time. I go back Oct. 15 to re-check. My basal temp has been around 96.

Does anyone think the iodine contrast had any effect on the last test?

Dawn

Closed Thread