It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #1

pigeon50 HB User
Eye Problems?

I went through graves diease then went thru hyper thyroid to hypo thyroid and now am on the way back to hyper. Just lately I am having alot of eye problems, watery eyes, always looks like I am crying, and just the past two days I wake up and have double vision for awhile then that straightens out, went to the eye dr. and he said my vision is ok, went to my thyroid dr. and he said he thinks it is due to alergies, i am really lost on this one any ideas anyone?? amy help will be greatly appreciated. Nancy

Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: Eye Problems?

I don't have Graves, but I have Hashi's. I tend to have trouble with my right eye, it waters, it burns, it feels scratchy etc. Just as you I went to the eye dr and they sent me through the whole nine yards of tests and they all came back o.k., so since it happens most often when my levels are off, I chalk it up to being caused by the thyroid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Hi Patience,
Have you seen an ophthalmologist that has experience with Thyroid Eye Disease?

It seems odd, but the watery eyes are actually caused by your eyes being too dry. With thyroid eye disease, the eyes are too dry because of a couple of reasons:

1) the viscosity of our tears is changed
2) the eyes bulge and more eyeball is exposed to air

I can't remember what your treatment was...or if you moved spontaneously into hypo.

I really recommend that you see an ophtho with TED experience. Sometimes steroids are prescribed for TED.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

K9 thanx for replying to the post!! I get watery eyes and thought l was odd one out as everyone else apart from the poster has dry eyes!! I never connected the fact dry eyes could cause watery ones! Thanx for that yes poster me too watery bloody eyes

Old 09-22-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Hi K9Mom,

I think you have Pigeon 50 confused with me, Patience 50. While I have eye problems sometimes as well, I haven't had any lately.

May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50/Bonnie

Old 09-22-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yeah I think that it would be easy to get confused with those two names.
Hi Bonnie how are you doing with your angels?

I am so happy, I woke up this morning without heartflutters. It seems like if I get really tired or stressed out that is when I get them now. I try not to do too much. Try to rest as much as I can.

Looks like by Sunday it is going to feel like fall here. It is suppose to be in the 70s. Might have to crank up the heat.Is it still soggy in PA?

Old 09-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
I am so happy, I woke up this morning without heartflutters. It seems like if I get really tired or stressed out that is when I get them now. I try not to do too much. Try to rest as much as I can.

I've noticed that also, if I'm stressed my heart skips around more. It really can be annoying.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

I'm doing Ok, Thanx for asking. I worked really hard yesterday and I was hurten for certain last night but what can you do. I still have some to get ready today and then I can relax tomorrow. I planned it that way so I would not be totally out of energy for the show Friday and Sat. I enjoy making the angels and I enjoy being out among the people but I am so wasted for a couple of weeks when it is over. I used to do these almost every weekend in the fall and up to the holidays. I could never do that now.

As for the palpatations I get, I get them usually when I am at rest, or at least just doing something easy like emptying the dishwasher. I can go all day and be fine but let me sit down to watch a TV show or read or even go to bed, and sure enough, if I've had a stressful or fairly active day, the flutters begin and it takes a while for them to subside. They don't frighten me as much as they used to unless I feel pain in my jaw or shoulders with it. That has happened a few times. Also, since my synthroid has been increased and my free T4s and T3s are in the upper range of normal I haven't had the flutters at all that I have noticed. That may just be the trick to it all.

Take care and May God Bless and Keep You
Bonnie

Old 09-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #9

Keiwei HB User

Dry, watery, red, bulging eyes are all symptoms of Graves' Disease. I have it. Your endocrinologist should have measured your eyes. An opthalmologist will prescribe you drops for the dryness. Be careful and see a eye doctor as soon as possible for you can develop problems such as corneal ulcers because of the excessive dryness and that's a whole load of other problems you just don't need.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #10

sanshock HB User

I went through the eye problems as well. Mine were very dry and scratchy, and the double vision kept getting worse and worse. I went to one opthamologist who said "it's just your age", but went to another who said it's definitely Grave's Disease. He put prisms in my lenses, and no more double vision. A second opinion never hurts. Like the other person said, some opthamologists are not experienced with Grave's Disease, so find one who is. Good luck.

Closed Thread