It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #1

candylanell HB User
so relieved to find this board- questions

Hi, I am new to this board (and new to hypothyroidism) I was diagnosed hypo thyroidism about a week ago, and was prescribed Synthroid. I have not started it yet, as I am still trying to research everything, and see what my options are. I have been to numerous websites, but still have many questions. I am 24 years old, and not over weight (if anything, underweight) I have had a hard time keeping weight on for many years, and usually weigh around 98 lbs (I weigh 102 now) I have read the symptoms for both hypo, and hyper thyroidism, and closer match the hyper, yet I have hypo??? on my test results it shows my TSH at 26.04 and t4free at 0.26, my totle t3 is within normal range. at first the nurse told me my condition is permanent, then the other nurse said maby its not (like she didnt really know) the dr wont even talk to me about it, I have an appointment for a second opinion on Friday, my I am going crazy waiting, and desperately want to try to make sence of some of this now if at all possible. I had a baby 5 months ago, so if I understand correctly postpartum hypothyroidism usually goes away, so what in my test results might have led the dr to believe this is permanent? and why cant I keep weight on? so confused here!!! thanks
Candy

Last edited by candylanell; 09-21-2004 at 11:55 AM.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
Re: so relieved to find this board- questions

there is postpartum thyroiditis, in which it may clear up. Just like gestational diabetes...you have a higher chance of getting it later in life.

If you look at the top of the forum you will information archive, look around in there!

Postpartum thyroiditis typically follows a pattern: at first, you become hyperthyroid, and might feel breathless, nervous, mentally confused, have unexplained weight loss, or trouble sleeping. This phase usually appears anytime between one and four months after the birth of the baby.

yes it can clear up on it's own. You will take medication sometimes though until it gets better. If it's improving I would think you would see your levels go too far the other way..I think there is a 30% chance it will not get better.

I had a baby 7 months ago. Had a lot of the hyper symptoms and after tests, etc I was diagnosed with Graves.

Good luck! I'm sure someone else will be around with more info!

April

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
on my test results it shows my TSH at 26.04 and t4free at 0.26, my totle t3 is within normal range.
Your TSH is not just a little high... It's extremely high. And your T4free is not just a little low... It's practically nonexistent. You're as hypo as a person can be. You haven't mentioned any symptoms you do have; only that which you don't have - extra weight. You've been hypo only a short time, so you won't necessarily have gained any weight. But if the condition doesn't resolve itself soon, and it goes untreated for a while, you'll eventually end up heavier than you are now. You won't necessarily ever be overweight if your genes make you predisposed to underweight, though. It's a myth that all hypos gain weight; not every person will have exactly the same symptoms.
If you have symptoms that are severely bothersome, taking the Synthroid, even temporarily, will help relieve them.
Quote:
if I understand correctly postpartum hypothyroidism usually goes away, so what in my test results might have led the dr to believe this is permanent?
I wouldn't say "usually". It sometimes does, but there is a great likelihood it will return in the future and remain permanent. If you have thyroid antibodies, [You apparently have not had tests for them.] it's almost guaranteed to return and remain.
Quote:
the dr wont even talk to me about it...
What the heck??? That takes the cake... and I thought I've heard it all. Who prescribed the Synthroid? Fire the quack, and do it soon.

Please let us know what the second-opinion visit turns up.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-21-2004 at 06:27 PM.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Angry Re: so relieved to find this board- questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
What the heck??? That takes the cake... and I thought I've heard it all. Who prescribed the Synthroid? Fire the quack, and do it soon.

do i detect a little ire ( ) here, MW? oh for shame, for shame ... in truth, if i may insert my two cents' worth Candy, midwest is bang-on the mark, and the sooner you run away from that -- yes -- quack -- the better ...

MW: i think heddy's doctor is trying to kill her -- did you see that he's got her on 25mcg every other day?? my good lord sakes alive ...

::shaking her head::
jb

Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

What is with these Dr.s anyway? Have they lost their minds? It appears more and more of them are getting very ducky; hiding feathers under their lab coats and quacking loudly everywhere all day. My oh My

May God Bless and Keep You

Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #6

candylanell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Your TSH is not just a little high... It's extremely high. And your T4free is not just a little low... It's practically nonexistent. You're as hypo as a person can be. You haven't mentioned any symptoms you do have; only that which you don't have - extra weight. You've been hypo only a short time, so you won't necessarily have gained any weight. But if the condition doesn't resolve itself soon, and it goes untreated for a while, you'll eventually end up heavier than you are now. You won't necessarily ever be overweight if your genes make you predisposed to underweight, though. It's a myth that all hypos gain weight; not every person will have exactly the same symptoms.
If you have symptoms that are severely bothersome, taking the Synthroid, even temporarily, will help relieve them.
I wouldn't say "usually". It sometimes does, but there is a great likelihood it will return in the future and remain permanent. If you have thyroid antibodies, [You apparently have not had tests for them.] it's almost guaranteed to return and remain.

my dr prescribed the synthroid
, but had her lab tech call and tell me I was hypothyroid and that there was a prescription called in, I wasnt too worried about it, figured it was something Id get over pretty quick (I had never heard of it before) I said ok, how long will I have to take it? she said for the rest of my life thats when I realised it was serious. now, looking back over the years
, and reading sighns and symptoms of the two I have had most of the symptoms for hyper thyroid for a long time, yet I am diagnosed hypo-? but there was one time about 5 years ago, that I gained alot of weight, went through major depression all of that, and looking back I had the symptoms of hypo then, but it only lasted about 5 or 6 months, we never did figure out what was wrong back then...and I went back to my normal inability to gain any weight. I always figured I was thin because I am a vegetarian, and maby that has alot to do with it, but I eat tons of pasta and I eat dairy. Im counting down the days, today is Wed. only two more days and maby Ill get some answeres, my poor kids are so neglected right now, I have no energy, and they dont understand (they are 4yrs, 2yrs, and 5 months) everyday is so hard to get through, and I want to be able to give them attention and do fun things with them, but just getting the nessesities done is so hard, the house is a disaster, I havent gotten on the meds, because Ive been waiting for the second opinion, and possibly more testing, and dont want to interfere with that...
Candy

Old 09-22-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angry Re: so relieved to find this board- questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience 50
What is with these Dr.s anyway? Have they lost their minds? It appears more and more of them are getting very ducky; hiding feathers under their lab coats and quacking loudly everywhere all day. My oh My

May God Bless and Keep You
i know -- i thought my doctor was bad when he prescribed support hose and anti-Ds, when i had all the typical symptoms at once ... then at least when i was DX'd he swung into action ... i just cannot believe some of these chappies ...

jb

Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: so relieved to find this board- questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by candylanell
I wasnt too worried about it, figured it was something Id get over pretty quick (I had never heard of it before) I said ok, how long will I have to take it? she said for the rest of my life thats when I realised it was serious. now, looking back over the years
, and reading sighns and symptoms of the two I have had most of the symptoms for hyper thyroid for a long time, yet I am diagnosed hypo-? but there was one time about 5 years ago, that I gained alot of weight, went through major depression all of that, and looking back I had the symptoms of hypo then, but it only lasted about 5 or 6 months, we never did figure out what was wrong back then..
Candy
i'd never heard of it either (a year and a half ago!!), and didn't understand why the meds didn't work fairly quickly at first (i relapsed, and relapsed and relapsed) ... now i understand that it may take two years or so, with some "good" times in between, so try to take it easy -- this is not an illness to be taken lightly, even tho' there are many ppl who only have to "take a little pill" ... seems that they may be the ones who didn't suffer mega-symptoms, and who haven't had it for long, i dunno ...

i too now realize that i'd had it for quite some time (~15 years? 20?) and it had gone unnDX'd, and i think that's why i'm having such a problem now ...

one step at a time, sweetie,
jb

Old 09-22-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Candy,
I have no doubt at all that the second doctor will confirm your need for Synthroid. Your tests overwhelmingly show that you are hypo. If you were my own daughter, I'd tell you to take the Synthroid - Your body desperately needs it! But before you do, let us know what dosage it is. When the starting dose is too high, it can make you feel much worse. It's better to start on a very low dose and increase slowly, every couple of weeks.

And when you see the second doctor, insist upon anti-TPO and anti-Tg antibody testing. Your suspected history of thyroid problems makes it pretty certain that this is not going to go away, leaving you healthy. The pattern of problems you've had shows you'll probably always have some thyroid issues. But if you have antibodies, that will prove that you're going to need supplemental thyroid hormone for life. You should start now... You need your energy to raise your children.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
I always figured I was thin because I am a vegetarian...
Do you consume alot of Soy products? Do you eat lots of raw veggies like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower? Do you consume any breads containing millet?

If you do any of those things, you may want to reassess your diet. I am not encouraging you to start eating meat, by any means, if you don't believe in that, but I am cautioning you that there are foods that definitely damage your thyroid health. Simply stopping Soy if you eat alot of it might be enough to turn your health around (the only exception to this is that fermented products like Soy sauce are OK because the fermentation process destroys the bad chemical compounds in Soy). Millet is especially bad, too--especially when cooked, and the others are bad to a lesser degree when eaten raw, but are ok if cooked thoroughly.

There is a list of bad foods in the Information Archive thread at the top of the forum that is far more comprehensive.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-22-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:18 PM   #11

candylanell HB User

thank you all Im learning alot here. the doseage that she has me to start at is 50, it is the generic brand. my second opinion is with a family nurse practitioner (who was also my midwife with my last child) she and I have a good relationship, and she is willing to run whatever tests I want done, she really works with me, also she is willing to run tests on my 2 1/2 yr old dd, who has all of the symptoms I have, and then some, even though she feels its unlikely, and no one else has been willing to run any tests on her. so she is also going Friday. Im going to get those tests ran on both of us if possible.

as far as my vegetarian diet, I try to stay away from soy, I occasionally will have a soy burger at some one elses house if I go to a bbq, but that is rare, and I rarely ever get it at my own home, I dont eat uncooked broccoli, or cauliflour or any millet at all, I eat broccoli cooked with cheese on it, though I do eat raw cabbage sometimes in a soup (the soup is made, and finely shredded cabbage added when served). Im not 100%veg either, I eat dairy, eggs, and occasionally fish...
I cant wait until friday, I cant wait until I start feeling human... I have always hated taking meds, always took the natural approach to things, I even had my babies naturally, at home with no meds, but I am to the point to where I am almost excited to start taking something if it will make me feel normal, and able to be more focused on the important issues of life, because my mind is about half gone right now. I am scared to start taking it, but anxious for the relief it might provide...
Candy

Old 09-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #12

candylanell HB User

another question as I continue to study and attempt to understand my test results, my glucose was a ways below the average too, what does that mean?
Candy

Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know the answer to your glucose question... sorry.

I just want to explain that the thyroid medicine you will be taking is about as "natural" as a med can be. It is a bio-identical copy of the hormone your own body would be making if it could. It doesn't in any way alter your body's chemistry or function, such as aspirin, an allergy med, or a statin drug does. You're meant to have thyroid hormone... You need it. If you live enough decades without it, you would die from the lack of it. In a way, it's like insulin to a diabetic... Only a diabetic would die sooner from a lack of insulin.
Did that make sense?

Edited to add... Your 50 mcg dose is a good place to start. Don't be afraid at all of taking that amount.
And your answers to Meep's excellent questions about your dietary habits further prove that your hypo is probably not temporary.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-22-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Closed Thread