It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Question Latest Symptom - twitching eye w/ hypo?

I am in need of a little assurance - this is quite honestly freaking me out.

I started taking a low dose of eltroxin 10 days ago, like very low - the lowest pill they make (05mcg). It has helped with a lot of my symptoms (fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, headaches, sadness, etc, etc). My BP has stabilized (it was up then down, up then down) and my pulse is mildly elevated (72 instead of low 60s). Yesterday I noticed my right eye started twitching, lower eyelid. It almost feels like a pulse at times. I also got a nasty cold Sunday morning - out of the blue, no warning; a full blown virus (it's like it's on a fast track; I'm already at the coughing up stuff stage). I am attributing the rise in BBT to this virus (from 97.8 to 98.8 two days in a row).

Now the big question:

Do you think the eye twitch is because of the cold / virus / stress, or could it be an as yet unfelt hypoT symptom, or could it be that I am getting too much eltroxin? (I always thought that twitching, especially eyes, was a hyperT symptom)

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Latest Symptom - twitching eye w/ hypo?

I know this will not be much help. Had the eye twitching when I had graves disease and when I was very hypo.

That is all I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

I've actually been experiencing the eye twitching lately as well. I have Hashi's/Hypo and take Synthroid. I, too, would like to know what is causing this.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I at least feel a little better knowing other Hypo's have had this symptom. Thanks to both of you.

Nat

Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

I also get this and always in the same eye. I did ask the eye doctor, and they tell me that it's a normal thing and goes away on its own, which it does. However, if you guys are getting it too I would think it has to do with our thyroid.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #6

sheritap HB User

Wow. I alwasy thought it was eye fatigue. For something so little it sure can cause BIG problems.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

ye i got lots too before dxn had no bother for a while till ive started the thyroxine (block n replace) and had a few twinges good luck

Old 09-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Well I think this may have been cold related. This is day 3 and the cold is almost gone - unreal, I've never had something come and go so fast, albeit it was pretty violent, colds don't usually keep me off work. The twitching is gone, after my first full night's sleep in 4 days. I'm chalking this one up to fatigue and stress.

If it comes back at least I'll know I'm not alone.

Thanks everyone,

Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 02:04 PM   #9
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

I get eye twitching, too. Got it when hyper and with hypo. I also get it with stress & colds. Right now I have bronchitis and the left eye has been twitching. I was told this was a normal thing for stress & illness.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

That sucks, Glynis, I hope you're feeling better.

Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
(female)

imoutrunning HB User

Weirder than the eye twitch has been a finger twitch. As I started to get really sick (I tend to ignore things until they get really bad), my left index finger developed an occasional twitch. Really freaky! Now that I'm on an antibiotic and starting to feel somewhat better, the twitch seems to have stopped.

I keep thinking of that dance on the Flintstone's "Twitch, twitch."

Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #12
Inactive

Yommy HB User

Hi All!

Seems like lots of you have this symptom, with everyone looking for answers. I haven't been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder yet, though my levels have been off and I've had an ultrasound done. Years before any of the issues that brought thyroid into the question, I had a serious eye twitch. It lasted for 10 months before I went to the Dr.! When I finally did go, he sent me to an opthamologist, who in turn said it could be indicative of a brain tumor, and sent me for a CAT scan. When (thank God) everything came back normal, they attributed it to a potassium deficiency. I can see how illness would cause this, as it drains vitamins and nutrients from the body. Bananas were the cure for my twitch. (Talk about an easy cure...) I just wanted to say to those of you experiencing it, if it persists, SEE A DOCTOR! It could be much worse than just simple stress. However, it is interesting that thyroid could play a factor. Thanks for the info., and I hope I could help!

Hundtoft

Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I haven't had the eye twitches since I had my thyroid removed. They were driving me Nutzo though!!!!!! It didn't matter if I was medicated or not, it happened all the time until after my surgery. You're not alone for sure.
Nodi

Closed Thread