It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User
Depression

I am hyper (Grave Disease). I have noticed that along with moods swings (angry), I have become increasingly depressed...sad. I feel like life is just getting to be too much. I used to be so "strong" and didn't sweat the small stuff. Now everything is a "big deal" to me. Does anyone know anything about how thyroid disease my relate to depression? I need some answers but don't want to call the dr just yet. Thanks

Blessed

Old 09-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Depression

I can't explain why we get depressed with graves or hypothyroidism. I bet someone else will know, like Midwest1, Dea4, k9mom,Gohperhead. That is just a few of the ones that have a lot of knowledge on thyroid problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Unhappy Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed4Life
I am hyper (Grave Disease). I have noticed that along with moods swings (angry), I have become increasingly depressed...sad. I feel like life is just getting to be too much. I used to be so "strong" and didn't sweat the small stuff. Now everything is a "big deal" to me. Does anyone know anything about how thyroid disease my relate to depression? I need some answers but don't want to call the dr just yet. Thanks

Blessed
depression goes along with being hypER, as well as hypO, and i don't know why (like i don't really know why one bloats with hypO -- i just know the mucin gets sticky, in your sinuses and such, and that happens to all the tissues) ...

and the thing is, if your thyroid doesn't work, antidepressants don't work, so you're between a tree and its bark (like, "betweet a rock and a hard place", only more descriptive, i think!!)

you are being treated, i guess, and you'll just have to hang in there until you feel better ... i know how awful you must feel -- i'm depressive anyway myself, so when my ADs don't work, it's rather ghastly ...

do call the doctor tho' -- perhaps he can help to take the edge off sometimes ...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

jb

Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 AM   #4

Felix73 HB User

My doctor has an interesting and unusual slant on the depression thing. He says, you feel depressed because you feel so awful, your life has changed beyond all recognition and you are struggling to be patient to get well again!!!!

Can't argue with that one!

Felix x

Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 AM   #5

sanshock HB User

Depression is just part of the hyperthyroid thing. With mine the anti-depressants (beta blockers) did nothing but make me dizzy, hung over, off balance or some other unwanted feeling. Once I got on methimazole and got my thyroid back in line the depression went away completely and almost immediately. I got absolutely nothing done other than moping around all last year, got on the meds in December, and by March I had made 5 quilt tops! Let your doc get you on the meds...there is a light in the tunnel!

Old 09-22-2004, 04:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Yea every things a big deal to me too l think maybe some of the depression is from an already over stressed mind/ body recieving more stress !just burns us out mentally and physically!! we have enough to cope with its like adding fuel to a flame! Hope you feel better soon xx

Old 09-22-2004, 04:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Make sure you don't get hypo on your meds. I took antithyroid drugs and the doctor never told me that when my thyroid levels got normal that I have to cut back on the meds.

I believe that I was hypo for quite sometime. It wasn't until I found these healthboards that I found this out.

You would think I would realize what the medicine would do. But, when you are sick, your mind is not too clear.

Just wanted to through that in because it bothers me to this day.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

patience 50 HB User

Felix 73 has the most valid point for depression I have heard on here in a while. It is the point I made with my Dr. when antidepressants were prescribed. I didn't feel I needed them, I needed to get rid of the pain, headaches, constipation, brainfog, ect. I didn't think they could make me feel as if I were 25 again but feeling 55 instead of 90 would be nice. For those who don't know my story, when my new Dr. brought my thyroid meds up it all got better too. Guess I do know my body a little better than a Dr. does, and you know yours better than anyone else does too. After all you live in it 24 hours out of every day.

The other thing we must remember is that the thyroid is one of the hormones that balances everything else in the human body. When it is out of whack, everything is out of whack, including the chemicals in the brain. From what I have read, this is what causes the depression and mood swings.

Women, we don't need this explained to us. We know quite well about mood swings with hormone fluctuations with years of menses. Anytime hormones in the body change, chemicals in the body and brain change. Just like throwing a rock in a pond and watching the ripples multiply. Thyroxine changes are no different. It is one of the basic function controling hormones in our bodies and when it isn't where it needs to be we will feel the difference, even if the Dr.s tell us we are normal.

I know it's difficult to find the time but our best defense against Dr.s who don't know all they might about thyroid is for us to go to the appts. with the information. You need to get the info from official sites too. Dr.s won't want to hear our discussions or hear what was done for one or two on the boards. They will sometimes look at info from an endocrinology site or a biochemestry site. Many wonderful sites have been mentioned on these boards in the past. Meep has especially listed some great ones. When you take some of this information and just tell the Dr. that you know with all the patients they see they can't possibly do all the reading on all the updates out there and what do they think about what you found. Tell them where you found it so they know it's not just someones interpretation of something and maybe even take a copy for them to keep and read at their leisure. I would hope a Dr. worth his fee would be interested and at least look it over.

There was much I didn't know until I found these boards quite by accident. Up until then I just felt sorry for myself as I knew something wasn't right but my Dr. kept insisting all tests were "normal". I never asked questions, I trusted the Dr. to give me the best care there was. One of the other things we need to remember is that for every physician who graduated in the top half of the class, there is an equal number that graduated in the lower half. Therefore, you are your own best advocate and the first line of defense for your own good health. Don't give up, Don't quit. I know the depression is really hard to fight. If it hadn't been for Midwest1 on these boads and a new Dr. who listened and looked, I might well be a statistic for suicide myself so I know it's really hard to fight. I will forever be grateful to Midwest1.

I'm feeling better now. Just knowing I was right and it wasn't my imagination makes it better. Knowing these boards and the people on them are here make a difference too. I got the treatment I needed so I know it's out there. I also know how hard it is to find a Dr. who listens. Just reading the stories on these boards is proof of that.

I guess what I really want to say here is don't give up, don't quit, and keep after your Dr.s to help you. If they get real stubborn about it perhaps you need to find another one. For me that too can be traumatic. After all, how many strangers can you get naked in front of in a lifetime. However, for good treatment I will endure.

I have gotten toooooo long so I will quit now. May God Bless and Keep You
Patience 50

Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angry Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50
Make sure you don't get hypo on your meds. I took antithyroid drugs and the doctor never told me that when my thyroid levels got normal that I have to cut back on the meds.

You would think I would realize what the medicine would do. But, when you are sick, your mind is not too clear.

Just wanted to through that in because it bothers me to this day.
you'd think your doctor would have known, and more to the point, told you ...

don't beat yourself up about it -- how could you have possibly known? that's what doctors are for (errr, if they're any good, or have a brain, or even two working brain cells ... ummm, ok, that's what this board is for -- grrrr! )

a frustrated
jb

Old 09-22-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
The other thing we must remember is that the thyroid is one of the hormones that balances everything else in the human body. When it is out of whack, everything is out of whack, including the chemicals in the brain. From what I have read, this is what causes the depression and mood swings.
i think that is more to the point ... felixx may be right when saying that when your body doesn't work you get fed up and sad (we all do!), but there's nothing to compare to the bone-numbing wretched depression that was my first symptom of hypO ... one may be prescribed ADs, but for the most part, as soon as the hypO/hypER lifts a little, the depression lifts and ADs aren't really necessary (and anyhoo, ADs don't work when your thyroid is off kilter) ...

in my case however, thyroid meds didn't work (to relieve the depression), but did allow my ADs to work, and i still have times when i feel up and down for no good reason other than my thyroid being off ...

jb

Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your right Jinglebets, The doc should have known. He always seem to be in wonderland anyway. OOOOps!!!!Can't believe I said that. Glad I did though
LOL!!! Makes me feel tons better.

He is an internal medicine osteopathic doctor.Whoopeedoo!!

Closed Thread