It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User
Low Carb and thyroid?

I had a thought, imagine that, lol. Anyway, when I was feeling okay I had started the South Beach Diet, did okay, about 4 weeks in or so is when I started feeling lousy and my levels changed. Do you think its possible that staying away from carbs had anything to do with it. I think I read somewhere that it could effect you if you had thyroid problems. Just a thought to ponder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Low Carb and thyroid?

Yes, most definitely. Low carb diets have an impact on TSH and T3 - it lowers them both. I am a big fan of controlling carbs but I know that there are certain conditions where it's not the best idea.

South Beach has phases, does it not? Most LC plans do - where you increase carbs as you get closer to your maintenance. You might find you do better if you incease yours, but choose healthy carbs- these are the ones that are whole, natural and unprocessed, i.e. brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal you cook for 20 minutes, 100% whole grain cereals and breads.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Something else that just ocurred to me - make sure your caloric deficit isn't too great. In situations where your body is stressed or when calories drop too low your body drops it's conversion of T4 into T3 by up to 50% and it increases its conversion to Reverse T3. T3 drives metabolism, Reverse T3 is inactive; this is how you slow your metabolism even further.

It doesn't relate to low carb per se except that when you eat low carb you often eat low calorie due in part to ketosis.

Nat

Old 09-21-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

Brunettesgirl HB User

Ahh, makes sense. So if I'm not careful with the low carbs I mess with my levels. I've strayed off the diet pretty much, mostly from feeling lousy. I do however stay with whole wheat and grain products mostly. I've gotten out of the habit of eating white flours. That darn sugar has creeped back to my diet though, lol. I really don't know what to do though, maybe back to Weight Watchers? I liked not having to watch every little thing I stuck in my mouth, but if it is going to play with my levels, I'd rather not. I'm not very good at keeping track of things these days. AND, my family told me tonight that I am getting 'cranky' again!

Old 09-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunettesgirl
I do however stay with whole wheat and grain products mostly. I've gotten out of the habit of eating white flours.
It's usually very low carb levels that mess with your thyroid - if you're eating whole grain products it highly unlikely you're in ketosis (which is what is is believed to cause the lowered T3). Perhaps you're not eating enough? Or perhaps you just need an adjustment of meds - totally unrelated to diet?

Nat

Closed Thread