It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

ssmith1018 HB User
Have the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but tests O.K.

I started losing my hair after I graduated high school. (I'm 47 now). I never could conceive children. I had a hystorectomy when I was 38. I started having stomach & intestinal problems when I was about 40. Diagnosed with Gerd and IBS. Last year I had my gallbladder removed. I still have the pain, but no gallbladder. Had another scope done diagnosed with chronic gastritis. I've gained about 40 pounds that I can not lose. My temp is never over 97, unless I'm running a fever. Can't stand to be cold. No sex drive at all. Every joint in my body hurts now. I walk like a 70 year old woman. I am too young to be feeling like this. It's really humiliating for people to comment about how thin my hair is. I told my doctor & he agreed that I have the symptoms of a hypothyroid. The blood test came back O.K. I asked if there was another test, he said no. Can someone give me some advise?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Have the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but tests O.K.

Hi I just posted at the top of the boards after I read it. Sorry I didn't see this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith1018
I told my doctor & he agreed that I have the symptoms of a hypothyroid. The blood test came back O.K. I asked if there was another test, he said no. Can someone give me some advise?
Yours is not an uncommon story, ssmith, many of us have had similar conversations with our doctors. "Normal" simply doesn't apply when it comes to thyroid tests. What you need are the actual lab reports from those tests along with the ranges. If you post them here you'll get a lot of good advice. Your doctor probably only asked for a TSH test, which is pretty standard, but not very revealing. The range for this test used by many labs is outdated (usually .5-5.5) or thereabouts. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recently recommended that this be changed to .2-2.5 and that anyone with a TSH above 2.0 with symptoms merits a trial of synthetic hormone.

The test you need to have done to help determine if you have a thyroid problem (and it sounds like you do) and which type you're dealing with are: Free T4, Free T3 and thyroid anitbodies. I would push for these from your doctor.

There are some posts in the Information Archive (first or second post on this board) on how to find good doctors and how to interview them. It would be a good place to start researching.

Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

ditto gopherhead ... additionally, you can find a piece by meep about thyroid myths by searching the board for posts by meep, thyoid myths -- i found it immensely useful ...

jb

Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Ditto again. I agree, you sound like you have a thyroid problem, push to get the tests Gopherhead mentioned, if your dr refuses find another dr.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
(female)

ssmith1018 HB User

Thanks to everyone that answered. I just called my doctor & I'm having him fax the results of my test to me. Since I was just told that they were normal, I don't have a clue what they are. I am going to look for a Endo doctor. I hope maybe someone will find out what's wrong with me

Old 09-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

When you get the numbers if you'd like some input post them here along with the lab ranges

Nat

Closed Thread