It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

steph2000 HB User
generic vs. name brand

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed and if it has, sorry for the repeat. But, has anybody had more symptoms when changed from synthroid to the generic form? If so, how long does this last?

Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: generic vs. name brand

Each med has different binders and fillers, what you may be experiencing is a reaction to that, otherwise it may just be a coincidence and your levels may be off and you need a dose change. If the symtoms persist, I'd get bloodwork done to see where my numbers are, if they are o.k. (Free's in the upper third of the lab range) then you may need to switch brands again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You need to consider that your generic is not working the same as your former brand. Thyroid experts always say once you become stable on one brand to avoid at all costs switching to another. In this day of managed care plans, this is a very important issue that's becoming a real problem.
Read this article from the Thyroid Foundation of America that confirms this position ~
[url]http://www.tsh.org/disorders/treatments/changingmeds.html[/url]

Old 09-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Midwest,
This article talks about the TSH level and watching it so it doesn't rise or fall, but once on treatment the TSH is pretty much irrelevant right? So if a switch is done and the Free levels are staying pretty much the same then there shouldn't be a problem right?

Old 09-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4
Midwest,
This article talks about the TSH level and watching it so it doesn't rise or fall, but once on treatment the TSH is pretty much irrelevant right? So if a switch is done and the Free levels are staying pretty much the same then there shouldn't be a problem right?
You're right, of course.
I ignored the part that talks about TSH as being the measure of treatment success. I assumed, probably wrongly, that the rise of TSH usually correlates with the fall of the FTs. I shouldn't make assumptions like that.

The main point I took from the article is that switching from the brand and type that makes one stable is a very bad idea. Most doctors don't like to do it, and balk at cost-containing insurance companies that make them do it.

On a personal note, dea, how have you been? I miss seeing you around as often as you used to come. I hope it doesn't mean you've not been well.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I have heard that you shouldn't change meds if your numbers are stable, but I have also read you should if your numbers are stable but you still feel poorly, not sure if they were referring to TSH or frees, I assumed frees. True the TSH doesn't always rise when the numbers fall, mine was low and so were my Free numbers last time I checked, my dr said it was useless and not to have it checked everytime anymore.

So much to learn, so little brain space left, haha

I actually had been doing pretty good and was busy, except for the last 2 weeks, ARGH!! Especially the last couple of days, I get up nausous again, feel weak and shaky. I have a feeling a dose increase is in order, but not sure if I should up a bit or not, my dr is in Canada till next week. I haven't had a chance to get bloodwork again so I don't know where my numbers are right now, and...I'll be going out of town next week and will be gone about 2 weeks. So, I really don't know what to do, but I thought of increasing just a tad to see if it helps. I also still have the skips, some days worse then others. Never seems to end

Hope you are doing well.

Last edited by dea4; 09-23-2004 at 07:30 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

Both myself and my son switched to generic and my son had to have an increase, but I believe he would of had it anyway even if he stayed on synthroid. He says he feels much better, not as tired, and that was his main symptom. I so far, knock on wood, feel ok. I have been a little more tired than usual and have sleeping problems, but will watch that. I was assured by the pharmacist that they are very similar and he even showed me charts. Now, I don't know if it is true or not, I guess time will tell. I am glad that I also take cytomel!

Old 09-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

steph2000 HB User

Thanks so much for your help. It's nice to know I'm not just going crazy!!

Closed Thread