It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Question Confused about test results

I just received my results from Sept 8th. The endo ran a full thyroid pannel, TSH, Free T4 and FT3, antibodies. She also tested am fasting cortisol and insulin levels along with cholesterol / triglycerides. I was shocked to discover my HDL had increased; I've been trying for years to get it to budge (it's at the bottom of the desired range) with no luck, now it's gone up over 30%. My triglycerides have also increased but they were super low (lower than my HDL) and still are well below the cut off by more than 110 mmol/L. *lol* sorry to babble.

What has me confused are the thyroid results, specifically the FT3 number.

TSH: 6.37 (.35-5)
FT4: 13 (10-20)
FT3: 4.7 (2.6-5.7)
Anti-thyroid peroxidase - negative
Anti-thyroglobulin - negative

I had been feeling extreme exhaustion, dizziness, low BP, low heart rate, hair loss, brittle nails, low BBT, headaches on a daily basis and brain fog. Before today I only had my test from the end of July taken in the afternoon (TSH 4.2 FT4 12; same range) so I figured FT3 would also be in the toilet, but unless my math is really off it is in the upper 3rd of the range, albeit it the lower part of that. Could a low FT4 have been responsible for all those symptoms?

I have been on a low dose of T4 for almost 2 weeks and it has made a huge difference - no more headaches at first, then no more exhaustion (I actually worked out 3 times last week), no more dizziness, and my memory ain't as bad as it used to be - I can't say I'm 100% the old me yet, but I feel a world different. I'm battling a big time cold right now and I am sure this is part of not feeling even better than I did last week. Could it be that T4 is all that I need - or is it too soon to tell?

Or could it be that for me a higher FT3 would be better?

Also, 15 years ago I tested positive for anitbodies, could they have just up and left since then?

Also, my cortisol came back 'normal' but it was 398 in a range of 170-540... shouldn't this be higher ? It's supposed to the highest of the day, right?

One more question: Fasting insulin came back really low, 25 in a range of 40-190 pmol/L but glucose serum fasting as normal (4.9 in range 3.6-6.0). I do restrict simple carbs and have been for years, could this be a factor? The doctor didn't seem worried.

She has told me to keep with the .025mg synthroid and gave me a lab sheet for TSH and FT4 for the end of October. I have to say I felt really good talking to her, she listend to me and discussed everything in simple language. What a difference from the two knobs I dealt with previously.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Confused about test results

The center of that range for FT3 is 4.15. The figure is calculated by adding together the low and the high ends, then dividing in two. (2.6 + 5.7 = 8.3 ÷ 2 = 4.15.) You can see that doesn't put yours in the upper part of the range. So, consider it still low, along with the FT4.

Am I seeing it right.... your TSH actually rose since July? You need an increase, no matter how you cut it.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Wink Re: Confused about test results

"knobs"*... heh heh ...

::rolling around laughing::

jb

* is that a canadian-ism????

Old 09-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
The center of that range for FT3 is 4.15. The figure is calculated by adding together the low and the high ends, then dividing in two. (2.6 + 5.7 = 8.3 ÷ 2 = 4.15.) You can see that doesn't put yours in the upper part of the range. So, consider it still low, along with the FT4.

Am I seeing it right.... your TSH actually rose since July? You need an increase, no matter how you cut it.
Thank you, Midwest, I was hoping you'd see and reply

I really used to be pretty good in math... blame it on the brain fog? My FT3 is 4.7, isn't that higher than 4.15? Ack, it just made sense, sorry. I've been dividing the 'range' into 3rds all this time. I'll catch on one day.

So my symptoms make sense. At least that makes me feel better.

My TSH was 4.2 in July was done mid afternoon, the lastes one was done fasting in the a.m. I was not being treated at the time - I was dealing with GPs who tried to convince me it was "all in my head" and I needed to deal with my "stress". I have, I fired them

Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebts
"knobs"*... heh heh ...

::rolling around laughing::

jb

* is that a canadian-ism????
LOL, Jb, that was me ensuring my ire and disgust came shining through while avoiding the censoring *****'s

Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, 4.7 is better than 4.15, but 4.15 is the exact center of the range. You are technically in the "upper" part of the range, but just barely. My guess-timate of where you might do well would be at least 5.0. That would be classified as the "upper third". However, read on....

I'm no mathemetician, even though my brain fog is long gone... LOL.
But here's something to throw into the mix.... My own FTs are not even above mid-range... (well, maybe my FT3 is slightly above it, I'd have to look it up.) When I mentioned to my doc that I'd read a few references that the Frees should be upper-range, he asked... [Hear this] "Are you figuring it arithmetically or logorhythmically?" HUH WHAT?? Apparently, I'm doing OK logorhythmically.... whatever the heck that is, if not arithmetically.
At any rate, I was feeling pretty much my old self at that visit, so I sure wasn't going to argue something that is clearly out of my league and seemed a moot point at that time.
I know... what I just told you flies in the face of what we always tell folks here; that the FTs should be in the upper third of the range. There are few absolutes in this stupid disease, and I must be proof.

I forgot to voice my theory about your "disappearing" antibodies. If you had them for at least 15 years... maybe longer, who knows.... It's possible that they did all the gland damage they could do, pretty much killed it outright, and now there's nothing left for them to hang around for. Once there's nothing more to attack, they become resorbed.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I get what you mean, Mid. I know I felt awful, and I know I feel better, but how much better can I ultimately feel? I've always technically been "subclinical" - since my first test (which also showed the antibodies) so I don't know if I've ever really felt "great". At least this doctor is listening to me and is looking at the Free Ts, I wonder what she'll say when I bring up where I"d like to see myself vis a vis those numbers a few months from now?

I thought perhaps the antibodies might have up n gone, once the damage was done. I wish I had my old files (my old doctor up and gone like the antibodies in between my flu shot and physical, no clue where) It threw me that they just said "negative" and didn't give a reference, like some tests do. It made me wonder if maybe the selenium had lowered them... some stuff I read recently made me think this was possible.

Ever feel like you should be in medical school?
Nat

Old 09-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Ever feel like you should be in medical school?
Who me??? I don't even know what a logorhythm is.

I have read the study about Ab reduction with selenium, too. It is at least theoretically possible.
Your dose is so extremely conservative, I worry that you'll begin to feel terrible by the time your next appt rolls around. If that happens after you've been on that dose at least 6 weeks, take my advice and call to report that you've crashed. I didn't, and when I told my doc, he said I should've come in sooner... no need to have suffered the extra two weeks.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Next time l go to the endo and he cuts me off lm going to think 'knob'!! it will be hard keeping my laff in! hahahaha

Old 09-23-2004, 05:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Your dose is so extremely conservative, I worry that you'll begin to feel terrible by the time your next appt rolls around. If that happens after you've been on that dose at least 6 weeks, take my advice and call to report that you've crashed. I didn't, and when I told my doc, he said I should've come in sooner... no need to have suffered the extra two weeks.
Don't worry, my dear, I have learned from the wonderful people here that the only way to properly manage this is to be proactive and take matters into my own hands. I will have absolutely no problem calling the doc if and when necessary

Niecey, I am about to fire off a letter of complaint to the Ontario College of Phys & Surgns about the last Knob I dealt with

Nat

Closed Thread