It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #1

mara6 HB User
Post Hi, I'm new here.

Hi, I'm new.
I am a 30 year old female with 4 kids. I have been having problems with feeling very tired on and off for a couple of years, and it's been getting worse. Now I have other symptoms that has me suspecting it may be a thyroid problem. I CANNOT for the life of me think clearly like I used too, I have a very hard time getting through the day taking care of my 2 youngest. I have tried eating more fuits and veggies, and working out, but my muscles are so weak, it's not funny. I know this is not normal to be feeling this way at 30! I feel like I am a 60 year old.
I have an appt. this tuesday. I am scared. I am hoping to find some answers. I also noticed that i started having this after my last baby born. He is 2 1/2 now.
Do my symtoms sound like it could be thyroid problems?
All my symtoms that have gotten really bad over the past 4 months are: Tiredness is worse, and not letting up or going away, my mind can't think clearly, I feel like I am swollen up all the time, sex drive out the door( not at all normal for me) Muscles are weaker then they were.
Those are the main symptoms I have been having.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #2

foxtrot HB User
Re: Hi, I'm new here.

Hey Mara6,

Welcome to the boards. I had all of the symptoms and then some 6 weeks after the birth of my 2nd child and all **** broke loose after my third child. Believe me, I know what it's like to deal with young kids when you can barley get out of bed. I was so fatigued the ground would drop when I walked and I felt like I was in a complete state of brain fog. I would sleep 10 hrs and still wake up feeling like I hadn't slept. I felt like this for 5 years straight. Doctors kept trying to say Postpartum depression. I knew it wasn't that. My tsh was always in the normal range. It wasn't until I found a doctor to test my free levels that I was actually diagnosed with hypo. I started on .25 synthroid and a year later I am on .125 and I still don't feel 100%. My energy level still isn't great. However, I do have a great doc. who listens and works with me.

Don't give up.

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Liz gave great advice. You have the classic thyroid symptoms.
Don't be scared. But be assertive when you see the doctor. Ask for these tests: TSH, free T4, free T3, and anti-TPO and anti-Tg antibodies. These will give an accurate picture of what your thyroid is doing.
Let us know what happens!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:59 AM   #4

mara6 HB User

Thank you for your responces. I was hoping that someone would tell me what tests I should ask for b/c I had forgotten to ask that in my first post. I will write that down for when I go to my appt. Can the blood test be taken that day, or is it something you have to fast for?

Old 09-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

It depends what time your appointment is, Mara. TSH can vary by as much as 3 points during the day and it's at its highest in the morning. I had my done right after a 3 pm appointment and spent 2 months argueing with doctors that I was not well because my test came back just inside the range (4.27 in a range of .5-5.0). I had another test done in the morning (8 am) and it came back 6.37. Had I waited until the next day the first time and gone in the morning I might have avoided all that stress dealing with doctors.

The short answer is: you do not have to fast but it's best to have the blood drawn in the morning.

Nat

Closed Thread