It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 12:52 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Re: Arm Pain, Hypo

Thanks, Softcrush, for confirming what I was thinking, that the temp breaks the tie if you're wondering whether to add or subtract. Yes, my b.p. went "too low" a couple of years ago and I wanted to know why because I'd been taking Dyazide for decades, twice a day. It wasn't Addison's, cortisol borderline high, and until you said it, I didn't know that's also a hypo symptom. I think they may have reduced some potencies in all brands since 2001, don't know why. My pharmacy is still giving me the old kind, but maybe I was needing an increase because of age.

Nobody answered yet, is there one side you can't sleep on? Something in the shoulder gets aggravated and brings back the arm pain that comes and goes?

Don't the chain grocery stores have b.p./pulse machines where you are? I almost mentioned the name of one but remembered we're not supposed to.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #17
(female)

steph2000 HB User

I can't sleep on the left side. Shoulder and arm pain is too bad when I do this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 07:39 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I can't sleep on my right side because my right thigh hurts from my hip to my knee on my right side. Then the darn trashtruck drivers kept me awake all night. Don't know why they can't haul the trash in the daytime.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, today 9-27-04 I'm trying a bit more of my medicine, though I'm so used-to hypo I know it will feel like hyper, can't stand this pain. Also my hair has thinned in back, like almost like a man's, male-pattern I guess. Not going to take hormones but maybe some black cohosh. Will let you know if it helps. It'll be a while I'm sure.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-27-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

About the BP/Pulse machine thing:

I like to take the RESTING pulse/BP first thing in the morning and log it down. I record my weight, the BBT, and the time of day. If the machine was in a pharmacy, it would be much harder to do that. Yes, you are correct, they got those things everywhere now.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Almost forgot the arm pain thing:

This is just my theory, but my guess is when you are hypo the blood ain't circulating the way it should, your electrolytes are off and that creates muscle spasms. When you get that, your muscles pull your spinal nerves out of line and cause pinchy, pinchy nerves through there, making it very hard to get comfortable, especially when lying down. Some folks get it worse on the right, some on the left. Its all really the same thing.

That's all I got on this one!

Good luck,

~S

Old 09-27-2004, 12:19 PM   #22

amymeh HB User

I have a tremendous amount of pain in my right elbow. It started about 3 years ago (before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism) and my rheumatologist dxed me with arthritis. I didn't start meds but went to phys. therapy and started yoga. Since I had gone so long with favoring my good arm, my right arm was becoming useless. Both phys. therapy and yoga helped tremendously with range of motion and strength, but the pain never went away. Now, after having been diagnosed as hypothyroid for 1.5 years, I realize that my elbow pain could have been caused and or intensified by the hypothyroid condition. Over the past month or so I have started lifting light weights (equally with the left and right arms) to begin to build the muscle in my right arm again. I also continue to practice yoga and do the stretching exercises I learned in physical therapy. I have found that atleast being able to use my right arm b/c of increased strength and range of motion makes the pain and condition more manageable. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I see. You keep better records than I do. When I get up, I'm supposed to do my diabetes blood test before having even my thyroid pill and/or coffee, and
I keep a log for that but don't always write everything down every time. It's hard to get One Touch log books any more. They said they were sending me two.
Guess I'll have to call the number again.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #24

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrush
Almost forgot the arm pain thing:

This is just my theory, but my guess is when you are hypo the blood ain't circulating the way it should, your electrolytes are off and that creates muscle spasms. When you get that, your muscles pull your spinal nerves out of line and cause pinchy, pinchy nerves through there, making it very hard to get comfortable, especially when lying down. Some folks get it worse on the right, some on the left. Its all really the same thing.

That's all I got on this one!

Good luck,

~S
Hi softcrush
I was wondering about thyroid disorders and electrolytes...does your doc ever check yours? I've never had those checked.

About the arm pain...have you guys been checked for a herniated disk
in your neck? Just curious I know they can create the same symptoms
(both my mom and sister had herniated disks)
Probably not the case though since so many of you have it.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Pain in the "funny bone" area can be ulnar nerve entrapment. The ulnar nerve is located very close to the skin at the elbow. It travels through a "tunnel" called the cubital tunnel. That's why it's most often refered to as Cubital Tunnel Syndrome (CuTS). It's less common than carpal tunnel but it too can be caused by hypothyroidism. In fact, the ER doctor who diagnosed me as hypo decided to test me for hypo after I told her I have CuTS.
One almost sure fire way to know if it's CuTS is if you answer yes to this question (you would need a nerve conduction study and maybe an EMG to confirm). The question is Does your pinky and the pinky side of your ring finger go numb after bending your elbow more than 90 degrees for a period of time? This happens because when we bend our elbows that much, that makes the tunnel constrict and if it's inflamed, it will cause numbness in that part of the hand that it controls feeling in.
My doctor explained hypo's role in CuTS like this. She said the nerves are fed by our cells. If our cells don't have the hormones that our nerves need to stay healthy, they can't do their job properly. That's why many people report that once they are stabalized on their t4 meds, the nerve problems lessen, even sometimes go away.
I went through many years of suffering with this and it is better now that I'm on Levothyrovine. I still have it though and eventually will have to have surgery for it. If you're having problems like this, don't wait to get a dx. The longer you wait, the worse it can get.
Barb

Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Very informative. Thanks.

Closed Thread