It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User
hyper thyroid raise blood sugar?

I was just wondering if hyper thyroid, or I guess any thyroid problem cause your blood sugar to go up? If it does is it a permanent thing or will be fixed once thyroid problems are straightened out?

Thanks!

April

The Following User Says Thank You to AprilPow For This Useful Post:
Deb5887 (03-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #2

candylanell HB User
Re: hyper thyroid raise blood sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
I was just wondering if hyper thyroid, or I guess any thyroid problem cause your blood sugar to go up? If it does is it a permanent thing or will be fixed once thyroid problems are straightened out?

Thanks!

April

I was curious about that too, I am Hypo, and I noticed on my test results that my glucose (which Im guessing is the same as blood sugar??) was way below the normal range. I was diagnosed hypoglycemic during my 2nd pregnancy, but it cleared up on its own -so I thought... so maby it goes up with hyper, and down with hypo? I look forward to reading the replys you get on that...
Candy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Yes, thyroid problems can cause problems with your blood sugar.
I am hypoglycemic, have been long before I had thyroid problems, but when my levels are more hypo my blood sugar tends to run lower and drop faster than when my levels are more where they need to be. So, my guess is yes, the hyper may be causing raised levels and once you get your FREE levels at the right range, the blood sugar problems should be better. I really don't think it will make you diabetic if you have no family history of it and as long as you keep you free levels in the optimal area for you.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

There seems to be a connection. My mother is diabetic, three of us are hypo and the other two diabetic. My blood sugar would go way down when I was hypo. I have not had any of those low sugar episodes since I have been on thyroid meds (sept 2003).

Mintchoc

Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I do have family history, had gestational diabetes, and on whim I tested my sugar a few mornings, it's not diabetic high, but elevated. Fasting sugars have been 111, 117, 113 and after a meal 168. Thats about all I tested!

thanks
april

Old 09-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Getting your thyroid in check will help keep your blood sugar more normal.
I have a friend who was a serious diabetic, her blood sugar would top out in the 400's, her thyroid was also undertreated, once she got that under control the blood sugar was much better.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Though hypOthyroidism is more often associated with high blood sugar and diabetes than hypERthyroidism, it is possible that either could cause your sugar to be high or low.

This is a bit of an over-simplification, but the idea is sound.

Hypo and hyper are both great stressors. One of the things that happens when we are stressed is a rise in the stress hormone, Cortisol. Cortisol causes blood sugar to rise.

After we have been under stress for a long time, the adrenal glands often get tireed nd are not able to produce enough Cortisol to deal with daily stresses much less the extra stress of being hypo or hyper. This can case blood sugar to remain lower than it should and is known to be a cause of hypoglycemia.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Meep, could you take a look at this thread where I posted my latest results? I am a tadd confused about my insulin level - it's super low (well below average) but my fasting serum glucose is normal (always has been).

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=210160[/url]

Much appreciated.
Nat

Closed Thread