It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User
I have to increase my dose, aaarrrrrg

I had been feeling soooo great for soooo long and boom, it hit me again. I started feeling depressed, tired and my hair started to fall out. I called my doctor and sure enough my TSH was going up, it was 1.9, that is not alarming for some, but very much for me . My TSH has to be around 0.004 for me to feel good (I have a smart doctor who fortunately knows this). Immediately my doc upped my dosage from 60mg to 90mg Armour.

I am feeling dizzy, lightheaded and it bothers my eyes. I remember this happened when I started meds a year ago, I guess the body has to get used to the new dosage. It has been almost 3 weeks since I started the new dosage and I feel somewhat better, but it is no fun!

Mintchoc

Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Exclamation Re: I have to increase my dose, aaarrrrrg

Mint I was reading something today that migth bear some signifigance as we head into Fall.

This is from What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard and Marietta Abrams Brill:

"The thyroid is an instrument of change. As the master of the body's metabolism, the healthy thyroid helps the body adapt without much fuss to minute-by-minute, climate-driven, seasonal, and life-stage changes. As you read this, your thyroid is busy at work helping you adjust to changes in temperature, stress levels, the food you ate for lunch.

In treating thousands of patients over the years, I've seen that symptoms peak and wane with seasonal, metabolic, and hormonal shifts, and sometimes these changes are great enough to warrant a change in treatment. It's not unusual for symptoms to return when the seasons change-or for new symptoms to appear when patients enter different life stages.

Seasonal changes. In addition to hormonal shifts, seasonal changes impose variations in response to treatment and may trigger changes in the emotional and physical health of my patients. These observations make perfect sense considering the role of thyroid hormones in regulating metabolism."

HTH
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran

west end girl HB User
Re: I have to increase my dose, aaarrrrrg

I understand what you mean , this thyroid stuff and new meds is no fun at all

Old 09-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

TWO cents only.

I was reading up on dosages just to see what common replacement dosages are. I did read one person's theory that they actually take a higher dose of Armour in the winter than in the summer. They change with the season and the doctor doesn't mind.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Thank you for your responses. I know all this, but it helps to hear it again, and to know that I am not the only one that deals with this. It is hard when you finally get to feel great and even lose weight and all of a sudden boom! My hair is falling out big time, but I know it is possible to feel good again, so I'll keep struggling to get there. I need to get back to my exercises, vitamins, etc. etc. Thank you.

Mintchoc

Old 09-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

BonBe HB User

Oh Minty.... lets you and I run off and get some chocolate chip mint chocolate ice cream and just enjoy it for once. I bought some after eight ice cream and each bite I did REALLY I DID think about you.

Know we are here, as you have been there for me and others of course. Just do what needs doing to make you feel good all over. Increase meds well then I think we always will have to 'tweak around' to keep it at an even keel. So much changes in our daily lives...stress, no stress, that make more and less hormone put outs....

Tis def a never ending story this TD stuff isn't it.

Bonnie Lea (well almost)
P.S. I need to mention PILATES ( I can hardley wait to get moving again, but I cannot see me ever ever wanting to roll on my spine and do that ball thing which I was pretty good at (on the mat not a actual ball, but roll my girth (hahah) up in a ball and roll..... I cringe at the thought now....but soon as I get an all clear that is what I will do eat mint choc ice cream and do Pilates, and maybe even go back to CLA (depends on what comes down at the hospital tomorrow) mean time THINK POSTIVE MINTY PLEASE!!!

Last edited by BonBe; 09-27-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Bonnie,

So good to hear from you! I am glad to be back. Yes, yes, pilates and mintchocolates, that takes care of it. I must report I am feeling better today, I guess I am getting used to the new dosage, lets hope tomorrow is just as good. I am on my way to the gym.

You are soooo right about stress making it worse. I had been taking classes, I was under a lot of stress and had stopped going to the gym, and boom, that is when it hit me. I am sure menopause has something to do with it to. I am now done with my classes and I promise I won't stop exercising again.

Mintchoc

Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #8

dogtired HB User

As usual I can't offer any advice but I hope you get through this transition
period quickly. What vitamin supplements do you take?

Old 09-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
(female)

Boomerue HB User

Hi all I have got Thyroid problems, it has been 13 years since I went on the thyroxine tablets.
I started off on 300 a day, I was fine on that dosage
Then when I started to feel a bit better, I went down to 200 a day, then after a few months down to 100 one day, and 150 the next.
Then I started feeling very tired, no energy, and just felt not right, so had a blood test done, and had to go up to 150 every day, and then after 3 months I had to have another blood test, now I have to go back down to 100 each day.
I have started feeling tired again, losing weight, dont sleep very well, and always hungry.
I have to go back to the docs in 6 weeks, for another blood test, also I am having trouble with my eyes got new glasses, but they still feel tierd blurry, like some thing in the eye, I tried all of the dry eye stuff, but it did not help.
I have hashemotots thyroid, sorry cant speel that.
You would think after 13 years, it would have stayed normal, I have had a lot of stress just lately, wonder if that would have some thing to do with the weight loss, also around the afternoon, my eyes start to feel very heavy and I feel like I could go to sleep,no enegy, and feel quite down .

Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Boomerue,

Good ole hashis. Yes, that is what I have. And yes stress has a lot to do with it. I remeber reading in Dr. Arem's book "The thyroid solution" that in some cases where the thyroid swings can't be controlled, he recommends removing the thyroid as a last resorce. (Something to think about). I can't imagine so many dosage changes, it must feel awful. I hope you get it under control, remember to try any dosage change for at least 6-8 weeks.

Dogtired,

The best vitamins I have found are "Fatigue to Fantastic", do a google search and you will find them online, I know vitamin shop carries them but they are more expensive. I have also tried taking "Basic 3" from Atkins. I don't know if it is all in my head, but I feel better when I take my vitamins, aparently I need a lot of magnesium and vitamin B. I am begining to think that when I take vitamins my hair falls out less maybe the vitamin B helps with stress and therefore hair falling.

Mintchoc

Old 09-29-2004, 08:58 AM   #11

dogtired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchocolate

Dogtired,

The best vitamins I have found are "Fatigue to Fantastic", do a google search and you will find them online, I know vitamin shop carries them but they are more expensive. I have also tried taking "Basic 3" from Atkins. I don't know if it is all in my head, but I feel better when I take my vitamins, aparently I need a lot of magnesium and vitamin B. I am begining to think that when I take vitamins my hair falls out less maybe the vitamin B helps with stress and therefore hair falling.

Mintchoc

MC
I checked it out sounds interesting.I'm already taking so many I don't think
I could handle anymore.I take a hair vitamin,omega 3s,glucosamine/chondrot.
calcium(4 hours after)a high potency liquid vitamin(that has a plethora of
stuff in it)and now my Levoxyl before any of the other vitamins .I wonder how much you really absorb from vitamins in pill form?

Old 09-29-2004, 11:10 AM   #12
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Sounds like you are taking lots of vitamins. Fatigue to Fantastic is a powder formulation that you mix in water before drinking (they claim is delicious, I just swallow). Supposedly that is all you need, it contains everything, and it was formulated by a doctor that suffers from fibromyalgia (very similar to hypothyroidism, the symptoms are almost the same). Anyway, seems like you are taking something similar.

Mintchoc

Old 09-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #13
(female)

Boomerue HB User
Red face Re: I have to increase my dose, aaarrrrrg

Do you ever fel dizzy, and funny in the eyes,sometimes I feel so tired, that I can hardly get out of bed.
The doc said that my tsh is low, that is why he said to decrease the dosage.
I would have thought that if your tsh was low, you would have to increase the tablet.
I feel also that my memory is not to good, and that I cant concerate.
How long have you been on thyroid tablets, I feel ever since I have had this that my life has been turned up side down.
Do you get ringing in the ears with yours, and a fuzzy head, always have neck pain, and arm pain.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:27 AM   #14
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

Boom,

When your TSH is too low you have to decrease the dosage. It means you are hyper. Hyper can make you tired, cause your mind is "on" all the time and you can't rest. It also causes muscle wasting that can make you tired.

I have been on meds since sept 2003.

I never experienced ringing in the ears, but I experienced what my kids called "Mom, you don't hear well". I believe I hear very well, it is just that the information I hear does not always register in my brain. It becomes worse when I am hyper (due to increased dosage or when I first started meds). Same with memory and can't concentrate.

All that goes away once your hormones get balanced. I am feeling much better, although I can tell I am not 100% yet. I hope that after a few more weeks I get better. Saturday I got lost driving around my neighborhood, for a few seconds I had lost track of where I was and missed my exit.

Mintchoc

Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #15
(female)

Boomerue HB User

How true what you have said, I do feel tired all the time, and my brain is racing, and when I go to bed at night time, I am very tired, but keep waking up every 2 or 3 hours, and I can tseem to settle and need to keep doing things.
If I read a book, I have to chase the page, as I have not taken anything in what I have read, and my hea dfeels very funny ,like my brain is foggy, or confused.
I have lost a lot of weight, not that I am a very big peson anyway I am 5ft 6, and weigh about 56kgs, but I feel as if I am thiner, my arms and legs, and my bottom seem smaller, and I feel hungry all the time, even when I have had a big meal.
When I wake up in the morning, I feel as if I have not been to sleep.

Closed Thread