It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #1

PMH HB User
thyroid question

Hi all, i am new to this board. I am a 22 yr old female. last july i was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid finally after a million other tests were done. My doc put me on PTU, and a calcium blocker. After 6 mos. he took me off the meds because my levels had stabalized. Now, 6 mos later, my hyperthyroid is back. My doc is sending me to an endo. for a second opinion, he feels that the RAI treatment is best for me since i already tried the meds.

my question is, does anyone knkow about this treatment and what are the complications. i am worried about not being able to get pregnant later on, or something being wrong with my baby if i do get pregnant. I keep reading all this stuff on how you are radioactive for a few days, and this could cause problems to others around you. How can this hurt people around you., but not hurt you? i am so confused!!! someone HELP!!!
thanks!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: thyroid question

Try searching for posts by K9Mom, she has a lot of good info on Hyper-T

Perhaps she will be on soon and can help you out with some advice, just keep bumping up your post so it stays on page 1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #3

Keiwei HB User

First of all...both your doctor and the radiologist should go over the side effects, as well as provide you with a sheet outlining what you should do over the 5 days to a week following your RAI therapy. Please weigh all of your options. I, for one, regret having the RAI, thereby destroying my entire thyroid. If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the partial thyroidectomy. I feel that this would have at least given me a fighting chance of losing this weight that I have put on since the RAI.

Last edited by Keiwei; 09-26-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi PMH,

You said the doctor took you totally off of the PTU right? Why did he take you off? Why didn't he just lower the dose enough to keep your levels stabilzed?

I am sorry for asking so many questions. I was diagnosed with Graves disease(same has hyperthyroid) in 2002. My MD put me on PTU and beta blockers and I took them until February 12th. I took the RAI and became hypo July 2004. After the RAI I continued taking the PTU until my tests showed hypo.

If you want to get pregnant, there is definitely a waiting period but K9mom knows all about that. She will tell you how long you have to wait after RAI to get pregnant.

All I did was swallow a little capsule. Had to go on a low iodine diet for two weeks before I did the RAI.

I will get off of here and let K9mom give you some good information.

Betty

Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #5

PMH HB User

thanks for the help. I am a little skeptical of the RAI treatment. I see my endo on wednesday, i will discuss al the options with him, i am now thinking about the surgery! Will keep updating! thanks again
pmh

oh yeah, and my doc took me off of the PTU because he felt that my hyoer-t was a temporary thing. My levels were stable for about 6 months.

Last edited by PMH; 09-27-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User

Hi PMH,
First, do you know the CAUSE of your hyperthyroidism?
Have you had thyroid antibody tests done to determine if you have Graves disease? (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) and Thyroid Perioxidase (TPO))

Second, since you had a good response to the PTU before, there is no reason why you can't take it again. There is also another anti-thyroid medication called Tapazole (methimazole is the generic) which also lowers thyroid hormone levels.

I am not a fan of Radioactive Iodine at all, especially as a treatment for Graves disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism). You will need to know what the cause of your hyperthyroidism is before you can make an informed decision on which treatment is right for you.

I took Tapazole for over 4 years, decreasing the dosage as my thyroid hormone levels normalized and stabilized. I had my thyroid antibodies tested before I was weaned completely off the medication. I have been in remission since July of 2003.

Treatment choice is a very important decision. There is a lot of information to digest before you can make a truly informed decision. I highly recommend the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin to get you started learning about thyroid disease and your specific condition.

In the meantime, there is no reason why you cannot be started on anti-thyroid meds immediately. I feel that it is better to bring your thyroid levels down to normal first - this helps clear your head - THEN make a decision about any other treatment you might want to pursue.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #7

PMH HB User

thanks for all the help. I went to a new endo today, i really didnt like him. i am gonna make an appt with another reccommended one. anyways, he told me its graves. He said he feels no goiter and i have to get a tyroid scan next week. He also reccommends RAI treatment, i am hesitiant and i told him that. When i asked about surgery, he told me he didnt think i should have it, but it is posible. I am just scared to death of this RAI thing. I know that there are know supposed effects of this but all i can think about is that i havnt had any children yet and plan to within the next few years, i hate to have this RAI thing somehow ruin my chances of having a healthy, baby.

sorry i am babbling, i have a million thoughts running through my head at this time. and the doc did give me toprazole(spelling?) I start that next week after the t-scan. Thanks for your help, i am gonna take my time making the decision of what i am gonna do.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #8

PMH HB User

one more question,
Do yu know anything about surgery to remore part of the thyroid?

Closed Thread